Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

4.6

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

So sad this has been discontinued! I used to swear by it for my flaky skin.

I read that a lot of people are using Dermal Therapy Alpha Hydroxy Lotion. I just started using it and so far it's working even better than Lac-Hydrin!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

So I'm super saddened to say that this product has been discontinued. I am so disappointed and kind of mad. I don't understand how this company can make a decision like this about a beloved product. I called the manufacturer to confirm, because I haven't been able to find any at multiple Shoppers for months and it says Discontinued on the Well.ca website. As far as I know, there is no comparable product. This really sucks.

on 9/8/2010 6:33:00 AM

This product is quite effective for extremely dry skin conditions, if you can get past the smell and use it regularly. I have trouble with this, even though my derm has me using the 12% rx version. For me, the initial smell diminishes after a short time, then comes back with more intensity after a few hours. It's difficult to be sure I've properly timed being alone when the smell comes back.

My preference is to address the body skin issues with a good glycolic lotion first. If that doesn't work, I go to this and keep my distance from co-workers & friends. I do use this as an emergency hand cream for severe irritation.

It is an effective product for those who need serious dry skin irritation relief but lacks any cosmetic elegance.

on 2/23/2007 3:29:00 PM

I'm a bit on the fence about this stuff. I don't know that it delivers AMAZING results, but it does keep my skin well hydrated and relatively clear. That said, this stuff remains very sticky/tacky after it's applied and doesn't seem to really fully dry. On its own, it has quite an overwhelming ammonia-like smell, AND when mixed with other products, it must create some sort a reaction that creates an almost sulphur-like smell. I can see why people's bed-partners aren't enthused about people wearing this stuff to bed, I can smell it on my own face and I think it smells quite bad. It does work well as a masque, though. I like to apply a reasonably thick layer, let it sit for half an hour, and then rinse off and moisturize. It gives a really nice pick-me-up to my skin when I use it this way, especially if I'm going out or to an event. I have repurchased, but it isn't one of my regularily used or favorite products.
***EDIT: I've really grown to like this product a lot. I use it on my face religiously now, and I have to say, it delivers some pretty fantastic results. My skin is dewy and blemish free (which, trust me- it hasn't always been) , and I use it on its own or with a bit of Tazorac mixed in. It keeps my skin nicely exfoliated to the point where I don't need to use a scrub anymore, and it delivers that "glow" of even, clear skin. I'm still not crazy about the smell or the fact that the lotion always seems to stay slightly sticky, but I'm choosing to overlook those things because of how good my skin looks.

on 9/17/2004 11:24:00 AM

One word...miracle. Those annoying skin bumps on the inside of my knees and back of thighs, that no amount of scubbing with loofas or grains would touch--all gone. Within 10 days, after using on the areas morning and night. Yes, it smells a little like a nursing home, but who cares? Layer a more fragrant lotion on top, and you're good to go.

This is not a general use lotion, it is for areas on your body where you have kp or stubborn flaky dryness (and not for your face). You can use a really small amount and get great results. I was lucky enough to pick this up in Canada where available without RX (around $11 USD) but I feel it would be worth going to a doctor for if I had to.

Update: A couple of people have asked where I got this in Canada...Shoppers Drug Mart (at Centre St. Laurent in Ottawa).

on 4/13/2004 1:05:00 PM

I have been using the neostata 10% lotion for about a year and love it, only problem is that it smells terribly and is very expensive and after a year it has stopped working. Then I found this product, ok smell and cheap, I am sold. The % is a little higher so I am only using it once daily until by skin gets a little tougher, but already I see a difference. The smell is esential because before people (BF and family) would comment that I smelt like rotten milk when I had an AHA lotion on. Try this stuff it works, your skin will be soft, blotches will dissapear and no more ingrowns!!!!!

on 2/27/2004 1:32:00 AM

My dermatologist prescribed this for me because I have keratitis pilaris on my arms, back, etc. She said the cream would probably be better for me instead of the lotion because it would be more moisturizing for my very dry skin. The smell is a bit like ammonia, but it fades quickly. I am sensitive to smells but I can handle this. The cream doesn't spread onto the skin very easily, making it a bit time consuming to put on. The results, however, are better than I dreamed possible. I now have perfectly smooth skin. You have to be consistent and apply it daily, though. And it takes some time to get the best results.

Last year my medical plan stopped covering it so I had to switch to the over-the-counter Am Lactin 12% cream. It worked just as good and was cheaper, too. It had the same problem with taking time to spread in, so I tried the Am Lactin 12% lotion just for kicks. The lotion consistency is more liquid than the creams and it spreads on very easily and quickly, making it easier to be consistent with it. This is what I use now and it is fantastic. All three of these products work wonderfully for keratitis pilaris, though, depending on your needs and budget.

on 12/12/2002 2:38:00 PM

This product is amazing. It's the only product that helps me get rid of my flaky skin during the winter and make it stay flake free for days. With other lotions I use, I'm flaking again the very next morning after applying before bedtime the day earlier. I use it on my face too and has stopped my nose from peeling for so many days already!!!! If you apply this to very very dry patches, it might sting for a while but at least you know it's working! The next time you apply to the same place, it doesn't sting much anymore and before you know it, that dry patch is long gone. The drawback is that sometimes it feels a bit sticky if you don't rub it in enough or if you use too muh.

The lotion is about $40.00 without insurance coverage. I used to be covered, but now my insurance doesn't cover this anymore, so I can't get it. My dermatologist recommended AmLactin 12%, which is the same as Lac Hydrin 12% (at least that's what the doc told me), but AmLactin is OTC and costs only about $12.99 for a small tube. It's still expensive, but better than Lac Hydrin in price.

AmLactin works just as well, but I would buy Lac Hydrin again just because of psychological thinking: Lac Hydrin is prescriptions only and more expensive and therefore should be better. Have nothing to back this quote up except my own mind.

This product was prescribed for me to clear up the bumps and redness on the backs of my arms. Used at least once per day, it has dramatically improved the condition of my skin. It is packaged in a plain tube, which is fine, since I would be upset to see fancier packaging in a Rx product. My only complaint is that it feels a bit like glue until it is absorbed into the skin. It's a great solution to a problem I've had for years!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

In Canada Lac-Hydrin 12 is NOT prescription and costs approximately $9CD for a bottle, so I buy this up there.

It is the only thing that works to help the bumps I get on my arms and legs. There's a name for the condition but I can't remember offhand.

The lotion is cheap, the smell fades quickly which is a good thing :)

If you have a problem skin but can't afford to see your doc and fill a prescription in the US, I would try to get someone to custom buy this for you in Canada and give it a try.