Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

3.9

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

So I'm super saddened to say that this product has been discontinued. I am so disappointed and kind of mad. I don't understand how this company can make a decision like this about a beloved product. I called the manufacturer to confirm, because I haven't been able to find any at multiple Shoppers for months and it says Discontinued on the Well.ca website. As far as I know, there is no comparable product. This really sucks.

on 11/1/2015 2:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Unfortunately, after my first bottle I didn't see any results. However, after reading all those reviews, I'm tempted to try it again, so I might update this review if I buy another one.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

UPDATE Oct 2016: 18 months of use...everything below still applies, still using it, my skin is still freakin' amazing.

Truth #1: the smell really takes some getting used to. Baby powder that feeds into ammonia. Charming, isn't it? I apply it one hour before bed, so the smell can dissipate a bit.

Truth #2: it is a sticky mess and a slimy mess if you over apply. There is a sweet spot where you are barely sticky and not at all slimy. YMMV.

Truth #3: No pump. This is annoying.

Truth #4: This is the best stuff in the world. My skin has never looked this good, or been this soft. I don't think you could possibly understand how much of an improvement, how stunningly amazing, how unbelievably soft my skin is.

I do, once or twice a week, mix a little in with face moisturizer. It's been fine and my skin is super clear and really soft.

Love this despite its flaws.

on 11/20/2011 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

A good AHA that is quite gentle, but it's still a lovely and excellent moisturizer! I've also used it on my face and it didn't clog me at all. Especially good as a body moisturizer in winter. Will continue to purchase. NOTE: Be sure to use a good sunscreen when using AHA's.

on 4/19/2011 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This lotion is basically the solution for all of my...grosser skin problems.

I'm using this for keratosis pilaris (those annoying keratin plugs on your outer arms or legs -- most people's are dry and red, but I have oily skin so mine are red and slightly waxy) on my upper arms and thighs.

GROSS, HUH?

Yeah, now that you know about the state of my thighs, I have to say that this stuff is awesome for KP. It has nearly eradicated it after a week of religious, twice-daily use. I also have successfully used it directly after leg-shaving to ward off razor burn (I get it horribly, to the point where I avoid shaving my legs as much as possible. GROSS, HUH?)

I also had horrible keratin plugs under one arm after a bad reaction to a strong anti-perspirant, and they left horrible dime-sized scars and hyperpigmentation. (GROSS, HUH?) This lotion has nearly healed all of this already. I was previously using an 8% glycolic face cream on these body patches out of desperation, and while it helped somewhat, Lac-Hydrin blew its results out of the water.

Now, some cons: the smell is a bit weird. Somewhat chemically, somewhat cloying baby powdery smelling. The texture also stays...damp...for a long time after application, though the lotion itself is quite thin and fluid.

I wouldn't use this stuff on my face unless I was desperate for some AHA action. Or on my hands. In the past, I tried this stuff for hands and face at random, because I had no idea what this was supposed to be for, and it was icky. Wouldn't have repurchased for that reason.

But, knowing what it's actually GOOD at, it's great stuff. It's a higher percentage of lactic acid than many lactic acid moisturizers (12% as opposed to 5%) and it's EFFECTIVE, which makes up for the minor cons. I'll continue to use this stuff for as long as I have KP. Which, from what I hear, means basically forever.

(In Canada, 12% lactic acid is available OTC. I order mine from well.ca -- they ship to the US, and shipping is free within Canada.)

UPDATE: Finished the bottle. I'm taking off one more lippie because the packaging is annoying - it tends to burp and spit too much product at you at odd times. Would much prefer a pump! And, after using a whole bottle, I am really tired of the smell and the tacky feel. I've switched to Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment for my KP, and it's working much better than even this. Of all the things I've tried, Lac-Hydrin was ultimately #2 for my KP.

on 9/8/2010 6:33:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

This product is quite effective for extremely dry skin conditions, if you can get past the smell and use it regularly. I have trouble with this, even though my derm has me using the 12% rx version. For me, the initial smell diminishes after a short time, then comes back with more intensity after a few hours. It's difficult to be sure I've properly timed being alone when the smell comes back.

My preference is to address the body skin issues with a good glycolic lotion first. If that doesn't work, I go to this and keep my distance from co-workers & friends. I do use this as an emergency hand cream for severe irritation.

It is an effective product for those who need serious dry skin irritation relief but lacks any cosmetic elegance.

on 2/23/2007 3:29:00 PM

I'm a bit on the fence about this stuff. I don't know that it delivers AMAZING results, but it does keep my skin well hydrated and relatively clear. That said, this stuff remains very sticky/tacky after it's applied and doesn't seem to really fully dry. On its own, it has quite an overwhelming ammonia-like smell, AND when mixed with other products, it must create some sort a reaction that creates an almost sulphur-like smell. I can see why people's bed-partners aren't enthused about people wearing this stuff to bed, I can smell it on my own face and I think it smells quite bad. It does work well as a masque, though. I like to apply a reasonably thick layer, let it sit for half an hour, and then rinse off and moisturize. It gives a really nice pick-me-up to my skin when I use it this way, especially if I'm going out or to an event. I have repurchased, but it isn't one of my regularily used or favorite products.
***EDIT: I've really grown to like this product a lot. I use it on my face religiously now, and I have to say, it delivers some pretty fantastic results. My skin is dewy and blemish free (which, trust me- it hasn't always been) , and I use it on its own or with a bit of Tazorac mixed in. It keeps my skin nicely exfoliated to the point where I don't need to use a scrub anymore, and it delivers that "glow" of even, clear skin. I'm still not crazy about the smell or the fact that the lotion always seems to stay slightly sticky, but I'm choosing to overlook those things because of how good my skin looks.

on 5/2/2005 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A basic AHA exfoliant, but does the job beautifully. One of the first AHA lotions to be made. Great on dry hands, and on facial skin. This is a great product to use on dry body skin too. I have a generic version of this, and with my insurance I get a 14 oz. size for only $12. It's so worth it if you have dry skin. I love to layer it underneath Retin-A to drive it deeper into my skin. If you shave either your face or body, wait about 5-10 minutes then apply.

Popular Lotions / Creams