Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

3.9

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

on 11/20/2011 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

A good AHA that is quite gentle, but it's still a lovely and excellent moisturizer! I've also used it on my face and it didn't clog me at all. Especially good as a body moisturizer in winter. Will continue to purchase. NOTE: Be sure to use a good sunscreen when using AHA's.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is a 12 % ammonium lactate lotion which claims to help heal rough, scaly, dry skin and associated itching. Well, I have none of those symptoms but I do use it on my face and body to help keep my skin soft , smooth and hopefully wrinkle free. A few years ago I remember walking down the street with a male friend of mine. He was holding onto my arm and suddenly remarked (in his thick Boston accent) "My gawd! Ya ahmm feels like tissue papuh! "( translation: Your arm feels like tissue paper) . He was really inpressed with how soft and smooth my skin was. This stuff really is amazing. The packaging is pretty blahsy and generic but who cares? However, be warned that it does contain 2 parabens and a bit of fragrance. And it stings upon application. It feels a bit tacky at first (but that goes away during my beauty sleep)so I only apply a 1/2 tsp of it at night . My face flushes a bit in the cheek and chin area .But I wake up to a bright and glowing complexion. And to me that's (maybe)even better than waking up to Antonio Banderas. I would advise everyone to load on the sunscreen because this is an exfoliating product and you want to protect that new baby skin as much as possible.Roll with at least an SPF of 30. The price? Well, I can pick it up for $11.95 at my local grocery store. It lasts forever because I only need to use a small amount . So in my opinion this is quite a buy. And it works!!

on 4/19/2011 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This lotion is basically the solution for all of my...grosser skin problems.

I'm using this for keratosis pilaris (those annoying keratin plugs on your outer arms or legs -- most people's are dry and red, but I have oily skin so mine are red and slightly waxy) on my upper arms and thighs.

GROSS, HUH?

Yeah, now that you know about the state of my thighs, I have to say that this stuff is awesome for KP. It has nearly eradicated it after a week of religious, twice-daily use. I also have successfully used it directly after leg-shaving to ward off razor burn (I get it horribly, to the point where I avoid shaving my legs as much as possible. GROSS, HUH?)

I also had horrible keratin plugs under one arm after a bad reaction to a strong anti-perspirant, and they left horrible dime-sized scars and hyperpigmentation. (GROSS, HUH?) This lotion has nearly healed all of this already. I was previously using an 8% glycolic face cream on these body patches out of desperation, and while it helped somewhat, Lac-Hydrin blew its results out of the water.

Now, some cons: the smell is a bit weird. Somewhat chemically, somewhat cloying baby powdery smelling. The texture also stays...damp...for a long time after application, though the lotion itself is quite thin and fluid.

I wouldn't use this stuff on my face unless I was desperate for some AHA action. Or on my hands. In the past, I tried this stuff for hands and face at random, because I had no idea what this was supposed to be for, and it was icky. Wouldn't have repurchased for that reason.

But, knowing what it's actually GOOD at, it's great stuff. It's a higher percentage of lactic acid than many lactic acid moisturizers (12% as opposed to 5%) and it's EFFECTIVE, which makes up for the minor cons. I'll continue to use this stuff for as long as I have KP. Which, from what I hear, means basically forever.

(In Canada, 12% lactic acid is available OTC. I order mine from well.ca -- they ship to the US, and shipping is free within Canada.)

UPDATE: Finished the bottle. I'm taking off one more lippie because the packaging is annoying - it tends to burp and spit too much product at you at odd times. Would much prefer a pump! And, after using a whole bottle, I am really tired of the smell and the tacky feel. I've switched to Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment for my KP, and it's working much better than even this. Of all the things I've tried, Lac-Hydrin was ultimately #2 for my KP.

I used this product a few years ago when I had an outbreak of contact dermatitis on my hands - it was cracked and weeping and had spread all the way to my wrists. It was painful and quite debilitating! I bought a bottle of Lac Hydrin and the excema started to heal almost before my eyes!! After a year and a half of suffering, in about two weeks the rash was almost completely healed. I recommended it to a co-worker who also was plagued with excema on his hands and legs and it also worked for him. The cream certainly stung as I had many open cracks on my hands but i bit the bullet and it was worth the bit of suffering I had to endure for the end result. Haven't had an outbreak since but after reading some of the reviews I am going to try applying it to my face at bed time and see if it helps clear up my complexion! Glad I found these reviews!

Holy Grail HG HG HG. I interchangably use this along with AmLactin lotion, whichever I can find. In the US, Lac Hydrin 12% is an Rx only lotion and I first tried it when my dermatologist prescribed it to me for my dry skin. However, in Canada, it is OTC. Also, just very recently, I have seen it on amazon and ebay, so maybe they changed it's Rx only status in the US?

At any rate, compared to AmLactin, Lac Hydrin feels a bit more sticky and gluey and has a stronger ammonia-like smell, but it dissipates very quickly. As with AmLactin, both will initially slightly sting if you put it on a very irritated or sensitive part of your skin, but you quickly get accustomed to it. It is excellent for dry skin that is so dry that it likes to flake. I haven't had anymore flakey skin trouble since I started using these 2 products. Between AmLactin and LacHydrin, I think the LacHydrin works slightly better, but due to its Rx status and its original retail price in the US (in the $60s if I don't find it on ebay), I mostly use AmLactin ($17 at Costco)

on 8/6/2007 10:54:00 PM

Got this from my dermatologist a few years ago for kp and I have to admit that it did help a little, although it didn't clear up the problem completely. I definitely still had kp, just not as bad. And I still don't know if it was really the lac hydrin that cleared it up or if it just went away on its own. I'm thinking it's the latter b/c I stopped using the lotion at that point and the kp didn't come back.

What I hated was:
the consistency of the cream (didn't absorb well, felt greasy)
the smell (ewww... just really gross chemical-y, could only use it at night)
it really stung if I had any little nicks or cuts from shaving my legs!

on 5/2/2005 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A basic AHA exfoliant, but does the job beautifully. One of the first AHA lotions to be made. Great on dry hands, and on facial skin. This is a great product to use on dry body skin too. I have a generic version of this, and with my insurance I get a 14 oz. size for only $12. It's so worth it if you have dry skin. I love to layer it underneath Retin-A to drive it deeper into my skin. If you shave either your face or body, wait about 5-10 minutes then apply.

on 9/5/2002 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

The dermatologist prescribed this for the folliculitis on my legs (irritated, inflamed hair follicles.) Unfortunately this did not work for me. It didn't help the bumps at all and left an ashy residue.