Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

3.6

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

So I'm super saddened to say that this product has been discontinued. I am so disappointed and kind of mad. I don't understand how this company can make a decision like this about a beloved product. I called the manufacturer to confirm, because I haven't been able to find any at multiple Shoppers for months and it says Discontinued on the Well.ca website. As far as I know, there is no comparable product. This really sucks.

on 8/12/2017 8:42:00 AM

My skin gets really dry/flaky in the summer from heat/sun. This lotion WORKS. I agree with the other reviewer that said it the most unsexy lotion you'll ever use. It sticky, stinky and heavy on skin but it does the job. I use it at night and rinse it off in the morning.

on 7/5/2011 5:46:00 AM

I have keratosis pilaris on my upper arms, and this lotion is a lotion that helps. I don't use it often enough for it to completely remove the bumps, but it lessened them a lot, and I think it I used it every day, they would probably eventually disappear. The bumps are due to the skin not exfoliating itself properly, so you have to use an exfoliator on your skin all the time, when you have bumps to remove them, and when you don't have bumps to keep them gone, so if you have this skin condition, please keep on using the product all the time to keep the area smooth and clear.

Edit: I had a rash on my stomach and used this product on it, and within days the rash melted away! I could see the skin exfoliating rapidly in the shower, all the dead rashy skin just scrubbed off after using this product a few days; recommended!

on 4/19/2011 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This lotion is basically the solution for all of my...grosser skin problems.

I'm using this for keratosis pilaris (those annoying keratin plugs on your outer arms or legs -- most people's are dry and red, but I have oily skin so mine are red and slightly waxy) on my upper arms and thighs.

GROSS, HUH?

Yeah, now that you know about the state of my thighs, I have to say that this stuff is awesome for KP. It has nearly eradicated it after a week of religious, twice-daily use. I also have successfully used it directly after leg-shaving to ward off razor burn (I get it horribly, to the point where I avoid shaving my legs as much as possible. GROSS, HUH?)

I also had horrible keratin plugs under one arm after a bad reaction to a strong anti-perspirant, and they left horrible dime-sized scars and hyperpigmentation. (GROSS, HUH?) This lotion has nearly healed all of this already. I was previously using an 8% glycolic face cream on these body patches out of desperation, and while it helped somewhat, Lac-Hydrin blew its results out of the water.

Now, some cons: the smell is a bit weird. Somewhat chemically, somewhat cloying baby powdery smelling. The texture also stays...damp...for a long time after application, though the lotion itself is quite thin and fluid.

I wouldn't use this stuff on my face unless I was desperate for some AHA action. Or on my hands. In the past, I tried this stuff for hands and face at random, because I had no idea what this was supposed to be for, and it was icky. Wouldn't have repurchased for that reason.

But, knowing what it's actually GOOD at, it's great stuff. It's a higher percentage of lactic acid than many lactic acid moisturizers (12% as opposed to 5%) and it's EFFECTIVE, which makes up for the minor cons. I'll continue to use this stuff for as long as I have KP. Which, from what I hear, means basically forever.

(In Canada, 12% lactic acid is available OTC. I order mine from well.ca -- they ship to the US, and shipping is free within Canada.)

UPDATE: Finished the bottle. I'm taking off one more lippie because the packaging is annoying - it tends to burp and spit too much product at you at odd times. Would much prefer a pump! And, after using a whole bottle, I am really tired of the smell and the tacky feel. I've switched to Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment for my KP, and it's working much better than even this. Of all the things I've tried, Lac-Hydrin was ultimately #2 for my KP.

on 8/6/2007 10:54:00 PM

Got this from my dermatologist a few years ago for kp and I have to admit that it did help a little, although it didn't clear up the problem completely. I definitely still had kp, just not as bad. And I still don't know if it was really the lac hydrin that cleared it up or if it just went away on its own. I'm thinking it's the latter b/c I stopped using the lotion at that point and the kp didn't come back.

What I hated was:
the consistency of the cream (didn't absorb well, felt greasy)
the smell (ewww... just really gross chemical-y, could only use it at night)
it really stung if I had any little nicks or cuts from shaving my legs!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Supposedly this is only by precription in the USA...here in Canada, you can buy it at any drugstore over-the-counter (no precription required). I am always looking for a new AHA product- and the price and use of lactic (instead of glycolic or even salicylic) acid intrigued me. Unofortunately, I did not like this product at all. It is greasy and does not absorb into the skin- it feels like a sticky, almost glue-like film, even when I used it on my very dry hands. It also did not moisturize very well- my skin still felt dry, but with a greasy film on it. Worst, the exfoliation was very minimal, almost neglible. It is also highly scented, too.
I couldn't even use it on my body or feet- I just threw the stuff out.

on 4/30/2006 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

WOW. I am utterly flabbergasted by this product. Yes, it smells bad (like ammonia.) Yes, it's sticky. But I have never, ever had softer smoother skin. I have very acne prone skin, and have recently had an outbreak of nasty, cystic acne on my chin that won't clear up. Have resorted to the regimen from acne.org, but the BP leaves my skin so scaly and flaky - after the BP, I wait 15 min, mix a little Lac Hydrin with a little plain moisturizer (Desert Essence Essential Daily Moisturizer) apply that - and the first night I did this, I woke up with NO ACNE on my chin and lovely skin. Holy Crap. Three nights later my skin is glowing. If you have sensitive skin or are not tolerant of AHA/BHA, be careful, I'm very tolerant of these products. I live in Canada, so the product I use is just called Lac Hydrin, and advertises 12% lactic acid.

on 9/5/2002 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

The dermatologist prescribed this for the folliculitis on my legs (irritated, inflamed hair follicles.) Unfortunately this did not work for me. It didn't help the bumps at all and left an ashy residue.

Popular Lotions / Creams