Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

4.4

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

on 2/25/2016 1:23:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I just didn't see any results with this. I'm so disappointed, I've been trying it off and on for a long time and it just doesn't make a difference to my skin at all. Would not repurchase.

on 11/1/2015 2:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Unfortunately, after my first bottle I didn't see any results. However, after reading all those reviews, I'm tempted to try it again, so I might update this review if I buy another one.

on 9/5/2002 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

The dermatologist prescribed this for the folliculitis on my legs (irritated, inflamed hair follicles.) Unfortunately this did not work for me. It didn't help the bumps at all and left an ashy residue.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Supposedly this is only by precription in the USA...here in Canada, you can buy it at any drugstore over-the-counter (no precription required). I am always looking for a new AHA product- and the price and use of lactic (instead of glycolic or even salicylic) acid intrigued me. Unofortunately, I did not like this product at all. It is greasy and does not absorb into the skin- it feels like a sticky, almost glue-like film, even when I used it on my very dry hands. It also did not moisturize very well- my skin still felt dry, but with a greasy film on it. Worst, the exfoliation was very minimal, almost neglible. It is also highly scented, too.
I couldn't even use it on my body or feet- I just threw the stuff out.

on 4/19/2011 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This lotion is basically the solution for all of my...grosser skin problems.

I'm using this for keratosis pilaris (those annoying keratin plugs on your outer arms or legs -- most people's are dry and red, but I have oily skin so mine are red and slightly waxy) on my upper arms and thighs.

GROSS, HUH?

Yeah, now that you know about the state of my thighs, I have to say that this stuff is awesome for KP. It has nearly eradicated it after a week of religious, twice-daily use. I also have successfully used it directly after leg-shaving to ward off razor burn (I get it horribly, to the point where I avoid shaving my legs as much as possible. GROSS, HUH?)

I also had horrible keratin plugs under one arm after a bad reaction to a strong anti-perspirant, and they left horrible dime-sized scars and hyperpigmentation. (GROSS, HUH?) This lotion has nearly healed all of this already. I was previously using an 8% glycolic face cream on these body patches out of desperation, and while it helped somewhat, Lac-Hydrin blew its results out of the water.

Now, some cons: the smell is a bit weird. Somewhat chemically, somewhat cloying baby powdery smelling. The texture also stays...damp...for a long time after application, though the lotion itself is quite thin and fluid.

I wouldn't use this stuff on my face unless I was desperate for some AHA action. Or on my hands. In the past, I tried this stuff for hands and face at random, because I had no idea what this was supposed to be for, and it was icky. Wouldn't have repurchased for that reason.

But, knowing what it's actually GOOD at, it's great stuff. It's a higher percentage of lactic acid than many lactic acid moisturizers (12% as opposed to 5%) and it's EFFECTIVE, which makes up for the minor cons. I'll continue to use this stuff for as long as I have KP. Which, from what I hear, means basically forever.

(In Canada, 12% lactic acid is available OTC. I order mine from well.ca -- they ship to the US, and shipping is free within Canada.)

UPDATE: Finished the bottle. I'm taking off one more lippie because the packaging is annoying - it tends to burp and spit too much product at you at odd times. Would much prefer a pump! And, after using a whole bottle, I am really tired of the smell and the tacky feel. I've switched to Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment for my KP, and it's working much better than even this. Of all the things I've tried, Lac-Hydrin was ultimately #2 for my KP.

on 9/8/2010 6:33:00 AM

This product is quite effective for extremely dry skin conditions, if you can get past the smell and use it regularly. I have trouble with this, even though my derm has me using the 12% rx version. For me, the initial smell diminishes after a short time, then comes back with more intensity after a few hours. It's difficult to be sure I've properly timed being alone when the smell comes back.

My preference is to address the body skin issues with a good glycolic lotion first. If that doesn't work, I go to this and keep my distance from co-workers & friends. I do use this as an emergency hand cream for severe irritation.

It is an effective product for those who need serious dry skin irritation relief but lacks any cosmetic elegance.

on 8/6/2007 10:54:00 PM

Got this from my dermatologist a few years ago for kp and I have to admit that it did help a little, although it didn't clear up the problem completely. I definitely still had kp, just not as bad. And I still don't know if it was really the lac hydrin that cleared it up or if it just went away on its own. I'm thinking it's the latter b/c I stopped using the lotion at that point and the kp didn't come back.

What I hated was:
the consistency of the cream (didn't absorb well, felt greasy)
the smell (ewww... just really gross chemical-y, could only use it at night)
it really stung if I had any little nicks or cuts from shaving my legs!

on 3/15/2012 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

This is a great moisturizer. I'm not sure what the other reviewers are talking about with the bad smell. It smells like a generic lotion.. and is a bit sticky and white at first. You really have to massage it in, then let it soak in. Once it has soaked in.. your skin is SO soft. I had some bumps on the back of my arms that are now gone. I use it on my legs after shaving as well, and they are no longer irritated. I'm hoping it will fade some old scars on my legs from folliculitis.. that has also cleared thanks to this lotion.

I bought it at shoppers drug mart for 14 dollars. Apparently it is comparable to Am-Lactin.

on 11/20/2011 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

A good AHA that is quite gentle, but it's still a lovely and excellent moisturizer! I've also used it on my face and it didn't clog me at all. Especially good as a body moisturizer in winter. Will continue to purchase. NOTE: Be sure to use a good sunscreen when using AHA's.

on 2/5/2010 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is my HG moisturizer- I use it every time I get out of the shower. I have keratosis pilaris on my arms & this is the ONLY moisturizer I can use on them. The thing with this moisturizer is it may not work overnight, if you use it for a few days & expect the bumps to be gone, you're probably going to be disappointed- but stick with it for 2 wks or more & you'll notice a huge difference. Because I use it every day & have for a few months, the bumps on my arms are non-existent. This doesn't irritate my skin like some moisturizers do either.
The consistency is fairly easily spread, it's a bit thicker but I add a touch of water to the bottle or put it on right out of the shower & then it just slides right on.
One reviewer commented on the greasy feeling- initially, yes you can feel it on your skin. But after 10 mins I can't even feel it. Like I said, I put it on when I get out of the shower & then get ready & it's completely absorbed.
If you have kp, I highly recommend trying this lotion & sticking with it for a few wks in order to see results:)

Popular Lotions / Creams