Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

4.4

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

on 11/13/2005 11:18:00 AM

I have a love-hate relationship with this cream: I love it and my bf- who is 11 years younger than me and doesn't understand all the mysterious things I need to do to myself- hates it with a passion. As a body cream, it's decidedly unglamorous, unpleasant smell, sticky, gummy. The taste is vile. My mother's plastic surgeon recommended it to her after her face-lift and glycolic peels as a cheap maintenance plan. I could do cartwheels when I think how well this product works. I use it all over my body every other day, alternating with a body scrub and a heavier moisturizer (my favourite is the body shop's hemp butter with their gorgeous african spa salt scrub and those little exfoliating mittens. ) My skin looks teen-aged with this routine and feels like velvet (I'm 36 and have a thyroid disease which makes my skin dry with a lot of build-up). On the face, it's sticky, strong and unsuitable for daytime. If anyone kisses you their faces will pucker in disgust. A definite romance killer at night, which is such a shame, because combined with a copper serum it's almost scary how fresh you can look the next morning. Almost obscene, like you should put a ribbon in your hair and go skip rope. However, the best application I've found for this miracle cream is this: mix the Lac Hydrin with a french clay face mask (I'm using a cheapo freeman's one at the moment) and apply to a clean face. Let it sit for ten minutes. You can feel it working (it doesn't sting). When you wash it off, you have clean, glowing moisturized skin. Then put your nice, boyfriend friendly moisturizer on and everybody is happy, happy, happy.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is a 12 % ammonium lactate lotion which claims to help heal rough, scaly, dry skin and associated itching. Well, I have none of those symptoms but I do use it on my face and body to help keep my skin soft , smooth and hopefully wrinkle free. A few years ago I remember walking down the street with a male friend of mine. He was holding onto my arm and suddenly remarked (in his thick Boston accent) "My gawd! Ya ahmm feels like tissue papuh! "( translation: Your arm feels like tissue paper) . He was really inpressed with how soft and smooth my skin was. This stuff really is amazing. The packaging is pretty blahsy and generic but who cares? However, be warned that it does contain 2 parabens and a bit of fragrance. And it stings upon application. It feels a bit tacky at first (but that goes away during my beauty sleep)so I only apply a 1/2 tsp of it at night . My face flushes a bit in the cheek and chin area .But I wake up to a bright and glowing complexion. And to me that's (maybe)even better than waking up to Antonio Banderas. I would advise everyone to load on the sunscreen because this is an exfoliating product and you want to protect that new baby skin as much as possible.Roll with at least an SPF of 30. The price? Well, I can pick it up for $11.95 at my local grocery store. It lasts forever because I only need to use a small amount . So in my opinion this is quite a buy. And it works!!

on 4/30/2006 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

WOW. I am utterly flabbergasted by this product. Yes, it smells bad (like ammonia.) Yes, it's sticky. But I have never, ever had softer smoother skin. I have very acne prone skin, and have recently had an outbreak of nasty, cystic acne on my chin that won't clear up. Have resorted to the regimen from acne.org, but the BP leaves my skin so scaly and flaky - after the BP, I wait 15 min, mix a little Lac Hydrin with a little plain moisturizer (Desert Essence Essential Daily Moisturizer) apply that - and the first night I did this, I woke up with NO ACNE on my chin and lovely skin. Holy Crap. Three nights later my skin is glowing. If you have sensitive skin or are not tolerant of AHA/BHA, be careful, I'm very tolerant of these products. I live in Canada, so the product I use is just called Lac Hydrin, and advertises 12% lactic acid.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have suffered from extremely dry, bumpy, red skin on my arms for 10 years. My skin condition is commonly known as Keratosis Pilaris (KP or chicken skin). This stuff is a miracle...sent from the heavens of skin products to save the way I feel about myself and my skin. As a kid, I picked at my KP a lot, which left me with a lot of discoloration, scars, and insecurities. I cannot believe the difference this product has made in my life. Just after one use, YES ONE USE, my skin looked hydrated and less bumpy. I have used this product for a solid three months now, twice a day (sometimes more because I am so obsessed with it) and my skin has never looked so good in such a short amount of time. My decrease in scars are probably attributed to the prescription I use (Differin), but it may be because of this product as well, however I am not sure. I have tried everything from over the counter products to really expensive prescriptions. Nothing has worked as well and as fast as this. This product costs about $15 in Canada. I originally was given this bottle by my boyfriend who used about a quarter of it, and I still have quite a bit left so a full bottle should last about 4 months if you use it twice a day like I do. The packaging isn't the greatest, but it isn't messy if you work with it carefully. The product itself is quite thin and liquidy so make sure you shake it before using, and it does feel greasy if you apply too much. A lot of people don't like the smell, but I love it. Maybe because I associate it with the amazing results I get, but it is kind of chemically and powdery...hard to explain but I think it smells nice. Overall... I will never waste my money on anything else for my KP.

on 11/20/2011 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

A good AHA that is quite gentle, but it's still a lovely and excellent moisturizer! I've also used it on my face and it didn't clog me at all. Especially good as a body moisturizer in winter. Will continue to purchase. NOTE: Be sure to use a good sunscreen when using AHA's.

on 3/18/2006 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love Lac Hydrin.I have used it once a week on my home spa days for over 5 years.I cleanse exfoliate and mask and my final step is a thick coating of Lac hydrin lotion. I leave it on for a couple of hours while I do housework and then rinse off and have gorgeous baby fresh skin. It is great! I live in Canada so buy it at Shoppers Drug Mart. I am never without it. It is sticky at first and does not smell that great but oh how I love the soft skin it gives me!

on 2/27/2004 1:32:00 AM

My dermatologist prescribed this for me because I have keratitis pilaris on my arms, back, etc. She said the cream would probably be better for me instead of the lotion because it would be more moisturizing for my very dry skin. The smell is a bit like ammonia, but it fades quickly. I am sensitive to smells but I can handle this. The cream doesn't spread onto the skin very easily, making it a bit time consuming to put on. The results, however, are better than I dreamed possible. I now have perfectly smooth skin. You have to be consistent and apply it daily, though. And it takes some time to get the best results.

Last year my medical plan stopped covering it so I had to switch to the over-the-counter Am Lactin 12% cream. It worked just as good and was cheaper, too. It had the same problem with taking time to spread in, so I tried the Am Lactin 12% lotion just for kicks. The lotion consistency is more liquid than the creams and it spreads on very easily and quickly, making it easier to be consistent with it. This is what I use now and it is fantastic. All three of these products work wonderfully for keratitis pilaris, though, depending on your needs and budget.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Works to smooth out bumpy skin. I used it on my face, 2 days in a row, at night (keep away from eyes and lips!), and on my body 4 days in a row so far. My facial skin has completely begun smoothing out (the uneven bumpiness from irritation or past scars)--it's almost scary to think how quickly I got results there! I like this better than glycolic acid.

I think on my face i will use it once a week, so the results may be gradual, but i won't be risking damage. Something so potent might be easy to overdo.
My body skin is very polished and nice now. I have very sensitive skin which easily gets rashes and bumps, especially my legs. (My legs are usually red and bumpy and irritated from most creams.) This cream smoothed it out very nicely in such a short period of time! No irritation. It is also quite hydrating but feels sticky. on the face you will want to wash it off right away! It is a good treatment product and worth having. Would make a good and useful little gift for anyone, too.
(What I wish i had known beforehand: wash hands after using it so you don't accidentally rub your eyes and get it in.)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

UPDATE Oct 2016: 18 months of use...everything below still applies, still using it, my skin is still freakin' amazing.

Truth #1: the smell really takes some getting used to. Baby powder that feeds into ammonia. Charming, isn't it? I apply it one hour before bed, so the smell can dissipate a bit.

Truth #2: it is a sticky mess and a slimy mess if you over apply. There is a sweet spot where you are barely sticky and not at all slimy. YMMV.

Truth #3: No pump. This is annoying.

Truth #4: This is the best stuff in the world. My skin has never looked this good, or been this soft. I don't think you could possibly understand how much of an improvement, how stunningly amazing, how unbelievably soft my skin is.

I do, once or twice a week, mix a little in with face moisturizer. It's been fine and my skin is super clear and really soft.

Love this despite its flaws.

on 10/10/2011 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is the least sexy lotion I have ever used. It comes in a very plain tube and it smells really weird: a slightly sour, chemically smell that I have associated with this lotion since I was a toddler. I love to try out creams with pretty colors, glamorous bottles and delicious scents, but I always end up coming back to this. It's amazing for KP, scaly feet, really dry skin, etc. However, it is very strong and as a kid I hated it because if you have a cut of any kind, it can really sting. Still, it's healed skin problems that nothing else can take care of. I have never used a lotion nearly as effective as this stuff.

Popular Lotions / Creams