Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

4.4

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

on 3/11/2002 10:14:00 PM

This is a prescription only product, but Lac Hydrin 5 is comparable in quality, it just may work more slowly. The numbers 5 and 12 refer to the percentage of alpha hydroxy acid present. The AHA is lactic acid, which is more moisturizing and less irritating than other AHAs. My dermatologist prescribed this for my chronically dry skin, and I discovered that it makes a terrific hand cream. The packaging is not elegant, and the scent is not wonderful (but it fades quickly), but it is the best hand treatment I've found, and I've tried many. After a couple of months use, my hands looked more supple, even toned and younger looking. It also lasts through several hand washings and is great for feet also. Definitely try this if you can. If not, try the Lac Hydrin 5, or Amlactin. another over-the-counter brand. The cream is rather sticky at first, but it absorbs quickly and the stickiness disappears.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

In Canada Lac-Hydrin 12 is NOT prescription and costs approximately $9CD for a bottle, so I buy this up there.

It is the only thing that works to help the bumps I get on my arms and legs. There's a name for the condition but I can't remember offhand.

The lotion is cheap, the smell fades quickly which is a good thing :)

If you have a problem skin but can't afford to see your doc and fill a prescription in the US, I would try to get someone to custom buy this for you in Canada and give it a try.

on 9/5/2002 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

The dermatologist prescribed this for the folliculitis on my legs (irritated, inflamed hair follicles.) Unfortunately this did not work for me. It didn't help the bumps at all and left an ashy residue.

This product was prescribed for me to clear up the bumps and redness on the backs of my arms. Used at least once per day, it has dramatically improved the condition of my skin. It is packaged in a plain tube, which is fine, since I would be upset to see fancier packaging in a Rx product. My only complaint is that it feels a bit like glue until it is absorbed into the skin. It's a great solution to a problem I've had for years!!

on 12/12/2002 2:38:00 PM

This product is amazing. It's the only product that helps me get rid of my flaky skin during the winter and make it stay flake free for days. With other lotions I use, I'm flaking again the very next morning after applying before bedtime the day earlier. I use it on my face too and has stopped my nose from peeling for so many days already!!!! If you apply this to very very dry patches, it might sting for a while but at least you know it's working! The next time you apply to the same place, it doesn't sting much anymore and before you know it, that dry patch is long gone. The drawback is that sometimes it feels a bit sticky if you don't rub it in enough or if you use too muh.

The lotion is about $40.00 without insurance coverage. I used to be covered, but now my insurance doesn't cover this anymore, so I can't get it. My dermatologist recommended AmLactin 12%, which is the same as Lac Hydrin 12% (at least that's what the doc told me), but AmLactin is OTC and costs only about $12.99 for a small tube. It's still expensive, but better than Lac Hydrin in price.

AmLactin works just as well, but I would buy Lac Hydrin again just because of psychological thinking: Lac Hydrin is prescriptions only and more expensive and therefore should be better. Have nothing to back this quote up except my own mind.

on 1/26/2003 12:16:00 PM

I have the prescription version of this and mine came in a big pump bottle. It's great for the back of the arm bumpies, for general dry skin, and for revving up skin tone in general.

on 2/5/2003 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is good for kerititis pilaris - the bumpy, hardened hair follicles that form on the backs of people's upper arms and elsewhere. It dislodges the dry flakies pretty well. It's probably a good idea to wear sunscreen when you use this as it's similar to glycolic acid in how it works...

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is my secret weapon skin moisturizer. It is the reason my face is silky smooth and flawless. It is dirt cheap here in Canada and runs for about 10 bucks for a good sized bottle. I use it nightly and it lasts me over a year. I have oily-combo skin and it doesn't clog my pores or make me break out, it also allows my daily makeup to go on smoothly the next morning after removal. But because this is an AHA you gotta use sunscreen daily if you are gonna try it out.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't like the initial gluey feel and chemical-like scent of this lotion but it's exfoliating properties are AWESOME!!! It gets rid of uneven skintone, flaking and rough skin, clogged pores and is just all around fabulous for any dry skin related problem. I especially like using it on my feet and hands. You have to be patient though, you have to use it continuously to see results. But believe me-they will come! :)

on 2/27/2004 1:32:00 AM

My dermatologist prescribed this for me because I have keratitis pilaris on my arms, back, etc. She said the cream would probably be better for me instead of the lotion because it would be more moisturizing for my very dry skin. The smell is a bit like ammonia, but it fades quickly. I am sensitive to smells but I can handle this. The cream doesn't spread onto the skin very easily, making it a bit time consuming to put on. The results, however, are better than I dreamed possible. I now have perfectly smooth skin. You have to be consistent and apply it daily, though. And it takes some time to get the best results.

Last year my medical plan stopped covering it so I had to switch to the over-the-counter Am Lactin 12% cream. It worked just as good and was cheaper, too. It had the same problem with taking time to spread in, so I tried the Am Lactin 12% lotion just for kicks. The lotion consistency is more liquid than the creams and it spreads on very easily and quickly, making it easier to be consistent with it. This is what I use now and it is fantastic. All three of these products work wonderfully for keratitis pilaris, though, depending on your needs and budget.

Popular Lotions / Creams