Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Filtered by age: 30-35
Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

So sad this has been discontinued! I used to swear by it for my flaky skin.

I read that a lot of people are using Dermal Therapy Alpha Hydroxy Lotion. I just started using it and so far it's working even better than Lac-Hydrin!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

So I'm super saddened to say that this product has been discontinued. I am so disappointed and kind of mad. I don't understand how this company can make a decision like this about a beloved product. I called the manufacturer to confirm, because I haven't been able to find any at multiple Shoppers for months and it says Discontinued on the Well.ca website. As far as I know, there is no comparable product. This really sucks.

on 2/25/2016 1:23:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I just didn't see any results with this. I'm so disappointed, I've been trying it off and on for a long time and it just doesn't make a difference to my skin at all. Would not repurchase.

on 4/19/2011 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This lotion is basically the solution for all of my...grosser skin problems.

I'm using this for keratosis pilaris (those annoying keratin plugs on your outer arms or legs -- most people's are dry and red, but I have oily skin so mine are red and slightly waxy) on my upper arms and thighs.

GROSS, HUH?

Yeah, now that you know about the state of my thighs, I have to say that this stuff is awesome for KP. It has nearly eradicated it after a week of religious, twice-daily use. I also have successfully used it directly after leg-shaving to ward off razor burn (I get it horribly, to the point where I avoid shaving my legs as much as possible. GROSS, HUH?)

I also had horrible keratin plugs under one arm after a bad reaction to a strong anti-perspirant, and they left horrible dime-sized scars and hyperpigmentation. (GROSS, HUH?) This lotion has nearly healed all of this already. I was previously using an 8% glycolic face cream on these body patches out of desperation, and while it helped somewhat, Lac-Hydrin blew its results out of the water.

Now, some cons: the smell is a bit weird. Somewhat chemically, somewhat cloying baby powdery smelling. The texture also stays...damp...for a long time after application, though the lotion itself is quite thin and fluid.

I wouldn't use this stuff on my face unless I was desperate for some AHA action. Or on my hands. In the past, I tried this stuff for hands and face at random, because I had no idea what this was supposed to be for, and it was icky. Wouldn't have repurchased for that reason.

But, knowing what it's actually GOOD at, it's great stuff. It's a higher percentage of lactic acid than many lactic acid moisturizers (12% as opposed to 5%) and it's EFFECTIVE, which makes up for the minor cons. I'll continue to use this stuff for as long as I have KP. Which, from what I hear, means basically forever.

(In Canada, 12% lactic acid is available OTC. I order mine from well.ca -- they ship to the US, and shipping is free within Canada.)

UPDATE: Finished the bottle. I'm taking off one more lippie because the packaging is annoying - it tends to burp and spit too much product at you at odd times. Would much prefer a pump! And, after using a whole bottle, I am really tired of the smell and the tacky feel. I've switched to Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment for my KP, and it's working much better than even this. Of all the things I've tried, Lac-Hydrin was ultimately #2 for my KP.

Holy Grail HG HG HG. I interchangably use this along with AmLactin lotion, whichever I can find. In the US, Lac Hydrin 12% is an Rx only lotion and I first tried it when my dermatologist prescribed it to me for my dry skin. However, in Canada, it is OTC. Also, just very recently, I have seen it on amazon and ebay, so maybe they changed it's Rx only status in the US?

At any rate, compared to AmLactin, Lac Hydrin feels a bit more sticky and gluey and has a stronger ammonia-like smell, but it dissipates very quickly. As with AmLactin, both will initially slightly sting if you put it on a very irritated or sensitive part of your skin, but you quickly get accustomed to it. It is excellent for dry skin that is so dry that it likes to flake. I haven't had anymore flakey skin trouble since I started using these 2 products. Between AmLactin and LacHydrin, I think the LacHydrin works slightly better, but due to its Rx status and its original retail price in the US (in the $60s if I don't find it on ebay), I mostly use AmLactin ($17 at Costco)

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I also have a love-hate relationship with this but it's really my own fault. My dermatologist recommended this after I showed him my bumps from my severe eczema. He told me they were scars and to use this to get rid of them. I now realize my bumps are kp. He did warn me that it would sting if I had been scratching or open wounds. I was able to control my eczema with hydro cortisone and then used this once my scratches and wounds had been stabilized. AMAZING! I was in my 20's and had never had "normal skin". My kp had vanished and my skin was baby soft! I stopped using it after my lp disappeared but they have reappeared b/c of my eczema. I've had 2 kids and with each pregnancy it got worst. It's been difficult to maintain the lac hydrin b/c I can't control the eczema. When I've tried to use this knowing I had been scratching, it STINGS so much that I end up scratching my skin off making it worst. I'm really looking forward to being able to use this again. Maybe a combination of Baby Aveeno, minimal cortisone and a bout of yoga will control the eczema enough to be able to use this.

This product was prescribed for me to clear up the bumps and redness on the backs of my arms. Used at least once per day, it has dramatically improved the condition of my skin. It is packaged in a plain tube, which is fine, since I would be upset to see fancier packaging in a Rx product. My only complaint is that it feels a bit like glue until it is absorbed into the skin. It's a great solution to a problem I've had for years!!

Popular Lotions / Creams