4.7

package quality

price range

Reviews

6 months ago

My first experience with Astral was when my mother presented me with a tub when I turned 13 & was,desperate to do 'grown up' things like start a skincare routine, and now that I'm 36 I still regularly go back to it - I do try other moisturizers, but nothing else is as effective & as gentle on my very dry skin long-term. Plus; it's a nice all-over body moisturizer and I've used it as a cold cream a fair bit too. Its such a handy bathroom staple. Astral was developed in the 1950s and the lanolin and glycerin-based formula hasn't changed since, meaning that the formula is on the thicker side and isn't as quick to absorb into the skin as many other newer moisturizers on the market, so I'm not sure what people with combination and oilier skin would make of Astral. However as someone whose skin is always thirsty it really is the best - my skin can flake in areas on my face, but I never notice any when I return to Astral and I rarely bother with foundation primer anymore either. This isn't a magical facelift-in-a-tub anti-aging cream, so you'll want to use a good serum underneath it for other benefits besides hydration. But as Astral is so affordable (all three tub sizes have a single‐figure rrp), I can justify buying a fancy anti-aging serum. I really think I'm going to stop straying from this now, as nothing else I've tried has consistently delivered such positive results.

About reviewer (1460 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinVery Dry, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Coarse

EyesBlue

6 months ago

I saw the previous review stating this was a dupe for CT and a look at both ingredient lists cements the claim. The CT may have hylauronic acid but that's about it ( and other botanical extracts). I got a huge tub for $15 via Amazon which is cheap considering; a similar size of the other would likely be in the thousands. The only caveat about this ( from an esthetician perspective) is the fragrance. Otherwise cost, hydration and a pretty solid list of ingredients makes it a great choice for dry mature skin.

About reviewer (664 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairRed, Curly, Fine

EyesGreen

7 months ago

This a spot-on dupe for Charlotte Tilbury's Magic Cream for those who aren't all that interested in shelling out £70 for a jar of moisturizer. I have used samples for the Magic Cream before and I have to say, the texture and hydration capabilities of Astral Cream are basically identical, even though it is about 1/20th of the price. At the moment the weather in London is cold and chilly, so my (combo to oily) skin is absolutely parched. During these times I slather it on my face and oh my! It felt so smooth and hydrated. It feels like a much easier to spread version of Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentre. With the Embryolisse, you have to really massage the cream in so that the skin will absorb it, but with Astral Cream, it's about half the work. And no, it's not greasy and it doesn't sit on top of the skin. I could see this being really good on photoshoots for skin prep before makeup as it's really hydrating and nourishing for tired complexions. A few caveats: I do not think this is suitable for everyday use on the face for me personally, as I have pretty oily skin that tends to clog without the help of AHA exfoliation. It's really great for the days where my skin feels really dehydrated. However I could see mature and ultra dry skins really benefiting from this cream. It also works a treat on my legs which tend to be pretty scaly after drying off from the shower.

About reviewer (134 reviews)

SkinOily, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Fine

a year ago

Every few years it seems I get nostalgic and buy products purely for their scent because it takes me back to a simpler time in my youth, Nivea cream, Johnsons baby lotion, Anne French etc. Astral fell into this category when I sniffed it and bought it a couple of weeks ago. A thick but easily spread cream I put it on one night as a one off thinking it would be too heavy for my combo, sensitive prone to breakouts face. Next morning, soft, clear skin, existing zits diminished and red calmed. My La Roche Posay, The Ordinary, Avene products have been ditched in favour of this which I now use as a day cream too. Brilliant stuff.

About reviewer (10 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

a year ago

This cream is amazing, especially for the price. I've been using it for the past couple of days in an attempt to combat my ultra-dry combination skin that has been ravaged by the winter weather. I woke up with skin that was dewy, plump, and practically wrinkle-free.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive

HairBrunette

from

a year ago

After reading yet another celebrity endorsement of this classic from the 1950s, and lots of other glowing reviews, I thought I'd splash out a whole £1.29 on a 50ml pot on Astral and see for myself. My skin has started to feel dry and dehydrated now the cooler weather has arrived and hasn't yet adapted to the products I already have, so a good enough reason to try it out. I've used Astral for the last couple of nights and I really like it! It reminds me a little of Nivea, but has a softer texture that glides more easily over the skin, and has a lighter fragrance. I found it absorbs easily and then I've put on another layer an hour or so later. I did use it over Estee Lauder Night Repair serum as I would with any other night cream. My skin's been very comfortable overnight and felt noticeably smooth, plump and moist in the morning, even after washing my face; for me, that's a sure sign of a really effective product. Astral is a real little gem and I'll be making sure I keep this on hand. At this price it's seriously worth a try if you have dry skin and, like me, get through a lot of moisturiser in winter! **27/04/2019** totally won over, I've now graduated to the 500ml tub. After a weeknight shower I'll put on my serum and eye cream, then I'll use Astral on my body (great for dry arms and legs), smear some on my face and if I'm really lazy, in place of hand and foot creams. It's quick, soothing, effective...and cheap (500ml often on offer at £3.95 in Superdrug)! What's not to love?

About reviewer (126 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Olive, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

1.0

2 years ago

This broke me out. Too bad because I enjoyed the feel of it. I’m super sensitive though

About reviewer (30 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

2 years ago

I understand why so many people love this cream. I live in Canada so had to order this through Amazon (and that's my sole complaint - it's not readily available where I live). Even though this feels rich and seems like it would be greasy and heavy, it's not. It's summer right now and I find I can use this as a night cream without feeling like a grease ball. And I'm pretty sure that this will be more than adequate come winter (probably with a face oil underneath). In many ways, this reminds me of my beloved German made Nivea (right down to the foil seal over the top) but it is much easier to apply and smooth into my skin. It's very nice on my legs too - really takes care of dry, flaky skin. The jar is large and the product itself economical. For me, because this doesn't contain SPF, this is pretty much a night cream but it is a lovely product for that purpose - effective, nice to use, pleasant fragrance and no ridiculous claims about "magical" ingredients ("exclusive anti-pollution formula") that promise nebulous results ("lengthwise and crosswise firmness"???) UPDATE - Jan. 2019: As we were placing an order via Amazon, I got a larger sized tub of this cream so I can use it lavishly on my body, which is a really nice option now that winter has struck, with its accompanying dry indoor heat and bitter outdoor weather. This cream is so pleasant, effective and soothing. I really wish it was sold in stores here.

About reviewer (1495 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Coarse

2 years ago

I have very sensitive skin on my face, which can become extremely dry and dull looking. Astral is one of the few moisturisers that doesn't cause any irritation and leaves my skin soft and literally glowing (to the point where I've stopped wearing foundation, as my skin is in such good condition since using it regularly for the last couple of weeks). It's also extremely good value for money-I paid £3.50 for 200ml!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrunette

3 years ago

I only recently discovered this cream but i've fallen in love with it. Astral is a thick, emollient moisturiser that I can use on my face, doesn't break me out or cause irritation, works incredibly well leaving my skin soft, really hydrated and its dirt cheap. Why spend 25 euro on a vichy moisturiser when this works twice as well and costs less than a fiver.

About reviewer (92 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Not Sure