ULTA Ulta- whole store

ULTA Ulta- whole store

1.8

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

So...I used to go to Ulta to get Iman Cosmetics. But, I haven't worn Iman for years, so I usually just go to Ulta to get Real Techniques brushes. At Ulta, they're usually Buy One get One 50% Off, which I like.

However, on my last visit, I asked for a sample of the new Urban Decay Naked foundation, and I was told that "they don't do that." I was told by the sales associate that she could color match me and I could purchase the product, and I could return it if I didn't like it.

Now, I have no qualms about returning a product that does not satisfy me. But, making the return without having the opportunity to sample the product seems incredibly wasteful to me. Almost backwards.

I hardly ever make a foundation purchase, without trying the foundation for like 2 days. I mean, foundation goes on my face, the first thing people see on me. I need to make sure the color looks right, it doesn't oxidize, that it wears well...Ulta needs to get with it. Honestly, I don't really know how they compete with Sephora and with these "mini cosmetic store pop-ups) that Macys and JC Penny has.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Overrated and Overpriced. This store is nothing but the cosmetics section of Walgreens and CVS plus Sephora all rolled into one. I find the makeup to be priced lower at Walmart and Target. What really annoys me is that I usually go to their Essence section which is the lowest priced cosmetic items (besides Wet & Wild), but as usual it is HARDLY EVER fully stocked (this can go on for weeks). It also usually has a very unsanitary look to it. Apparently, customers are sampliing the products right out of the package and writing all over the display cases with eyeliners and nail polish swatches. I know they don't pay attention to that section particularly because I saw the poorly stocked selections which included random products from other areas where customers had placed them there I guess after changing their minds and didn't want to take it back where it belonged. I found it gross that going there a few days later, (like four days later), the section looked exactly the same, with the same misplaced products over there. I guess "straightening the store" at the end of the night is a thing of the past. I hardly ever find anything good in there and I have had to return so many things it's pitiful. They really need to have more testers, that would help to eliminate that problem. I also don't like to be watched like a hawk. I always get a sort of uneasy feeling when I am in there most of the time. The SA's at the checkout for the most part are friendly. However, I can hardly ever find any available Sales Asociates on the floor when I need help finding something. The only pro I really have is that they carry my favorite eyeliner, and I have searched for months for the perfect one and finally found it for $1.59 and also they have a great return policy. They also have great coupon deals, despite all of the stipulations attached to it. Other than that, it's really not worth the hype. Therefore, I think I'll stick to getting my lipstick and glosses at Walmart, Target, and the Beauty Supply Store.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

As I read the reviews, I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one who had similar thoughts about Ulta. I was just in a different city for a business trip this past weekend and was excited to see an Ulta not far from my hotel. This was my very first (and quite possibly last) Ulta experience. My hometown just has a MAC counter and a Sephora store, along with the other typical dept. store counters. I went in hoping for a great experience and thought it was going to be like Sephora...WRONG! First of all, the SA's weren't very friendly or attractive, and the chick at the Benefit counter came up to me, and snidely said, "I also wax eyebrows, too" and then kinda looked me up and down, judging my eyebrows (which I'm trying to grow in- which is none of her d#mn business) and everything else. I managed to spend about $35 on products in there, but won't return to one again. I love Sephora so much better. Long live Sephora!

on 10/5/2009 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I HATED MY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS STORE!!!! Even though I read the reviews about Ulta from MUA, I still wanted to go to the new store near my town. Well, needless to say it was a bad experience. The good thing was they were having this great Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale on the NYX pencils, trios, singles, L'Oreal HIP, etc. So, I decided to buy a few items. Upon leaving the store I noticed my total seemed a tad higher than I expected so, I checked the receipt. The SA charged me an extra $8.63 b/c she did not give me my trio for free. So, I proceeded to go back to the store and inform her of her mistake. I assumed this would be a simple problem to correct. However, this was not the case. She proceeded to LIE to me and say that the sale was only for certain colors...even though this was not specified and the sign said clearly 'all shades'. However, I was like whatever "I'll just change colors." Then, she get annoyed and starts exhaling her breath and said "She'll have to go check again." So, mind you I was left waiting forever. She comes back and LIES again and says the sale didn't include the trios. She has the manager on duty with her at this time. And I proceed to then say, "Well, why does the display in the center of the store say NYX trios and pencils B1G1 Free???" At this point they both get an annoyed expression on their face and she proceeds to throw the trios at me, swipe my card excessively hard, and refund my $8.63. And then I get "Sorry, it didn't ring up."---very dry and unapologetic.

Besides this incident the experience was not as enjoyable because me and my sister were stalked throughout the store. "May I help you?" Another "May I help you?" Even though we are clearly stuffing our Ulta bags with our purchases. Then, as we go to the other side of the store the same chick comes back and says "May I help you?...Still". I'm thinking "What?????". But, through it all I held my cool and was like "No, thank you."

What's so ironic to me is that they will hound/badger you when you don't need their help then, as soon as you need it they are either nowhere to be found or clueless.

This was definitely my last Ulta experience and I will continue to go to the Mac counters, drugstores, and online.

Popular Other Products