Ulta Ulta- whole store

Filtered by skin tone : Tan
No Image

3.6

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this store! Its about 45mins away from my home. The customer service is great, but I learned that the younger women sales associates tend be snooty. Their supplies have been down, not sure why though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

The SAs, for the most part, aren't very helpful and kinda snotty when you ask for help. But what's really janky about Ulta is the way they track "points": 1) If you don't have your card, they "can't" look it up, unlike Sephora where they can look it up on the computer via email. 2) The SAs "don't" have the number of points on your account even when you have your card or magazine-based coupon. You need to call or check online (is this just happening at my local store?) What kind of S&^t is that? Tracking makeup points isn't at the top of my priority list...so not having that available for the customer when she/he is RIGHT THERE AT THE COUNTER is just stupid! And, I'm tired of just $3.50 off of non-high end products. I can go to CVS for better deals. Ulta needs to step up its game!!

on 12/2/2008 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

CSIfangirl said in your comment that the store knew how much they lost in an hour.

having previously worked in retail w/o security system and ancient computers............just curious, HOW can you possibly know a certain amount '$1200' without actually doing a whole store inventory?

or did your management team told you that to keep the SAs as hawkers on the innocent customers?

personally i LOVE shopping at 3 different Ulta in Florida. I've used their salon service and LOVE it, i already have a future appt for a haircut.

as for the rest of the store, I love it. The SAs have always been helpful and greeted us when we enter. Some occasion they do hawk the customers which is annoying and if they do, I tend to just spend less then I originally intended, ask that they put something back when I'm checking out so they'd be busy and not stalk other customer, and this one time, one well-dressed lady loudly complained and left all her pricy items (some prestige and CHI stuff), her catalog at the counter and stalked out. Idk if she came back or they contacted her to apologize (member info w/ ad?). But they did stop hawking everyone after she left lol.

another reviewer said that the SAs had to do this bc there was no security....umm...there's camera everywhere and that bell thingie at the door, what else are you referring to?

on 9/26/2008 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have to say it's such a shame that so many reviewers are putting Ulta down for reasons they don't even understand, but that's ok...now that I am an employee there, I understand why and I'm going to share with you the reasons. I've been working at Ulta for almost 2 years now. My fellow friend Monkeyss reviewed as well. I work at the number 5th ranked Ulta of the entire country (Ulta's only in the US for now). Harlem & Irving if you want to visit a great Ulta that greets and engages.

Firstly, Ulta is one of my favorite stores and it's fun to work there. I've always loved Ulta and been a loyal customer and always was excited to shop there. The advantage Ulta has over Sephora is that we carry low-end products, we have a professional salon that offers great services and always have specials, we carry a great range of professional hair products, we have tons of samples that you can ask for and we have a lot more beauty events and vendors from professional lines that store visit and help guests.

I work in the Prestige dept. which is the high-end makeup and skincare. For those who say Ulta's SA's have no knowledge, that is so not true. Not everyone that works at Ulta knows about makeup and skincare, only those in the Prestige dept. get the trainings for those specific areas. I am constantly getting trained on the lines and have more responsibilites to take care of. So, if you need to know about anything in Prestige, ask for a Prestige associate or manager to help you out. I make my best effort to assist guests needs and make sure they leave with the products they are just looking for and then I give free samples and gifts. I don't know about other stores, but when an SA has no idea what to suggest, they bring the customer to me or anyone else in my dept., they don't just say "I don't know" and blow off the customer.

We offer a very generous rewards program that's totally free. It's the Ulta club card you can sign up for, you just get the ads in the mail, coupons, and for every dollar you spend, you get 1 point. Those points add up and each 50.00 hits a higher level. Every 3-4 months we mail out rewards certificates letting you know what level you are at and what you can pick out as a free gift of thanks. If you are a level 6, you can get like a free fragrance, if you dont want anything from level 6's list, you can mix and match levels...for example you can get 6 things from level 1, or 3 things from level 2, anything that adds up to 6. I think the highest level i've seen from a customer was 24...imagine what she got!

We offer amazing sales and have friends and family events that only club members can get the best deals that you can actually use the 20% off coupon on ANYTHING in the store.

Things I get annoyed about from customers:

For the coupons, customers don't appreciate enough, i swear! It's not up to Ulta to restrict the coupon deals...it's up to the companies...if the companies say yes, you can take money off then we would, but no Ulta's restricted to do that..so stop blaming us.

Monkeyss makes a great point on the whole us busy doing projects thing..i totally agree. We have a project to get done but tons of customers ask for help we never have time to finish...it gets overwhelming.

Complaining about things that aren't our fault, but theirs...for example not reading the coupon and just automatically assuming you get to use it on anything, I was never one of those customers..i did what I was supposed to do read the print before jumping the gun.

When I'm doing makeovers on a customer, some automatically assume it's a free service, you won't get a free makover service ANYWHERE..even if they say its "complimentary" they expect you to buy something. Customers have to understand, if we are taking 30-45 mins of our time to beautify you, to assist you, you need to purchase at least a few products in our dept, not other depts. because there are other guests shopping that may need help and we are losing a sale if you aren't purchasing anything. Understand, we don't make commission at all, we just have goals we need to make and if we don't make those goals, it hurts the company. I personally think it's just plain rude to get your makeup done and have the associate consult you and you leave without buying anything I've had those customers who were sneaky and came in with the intentions of not buying anything and pretending they would and leave. Then they woud try to come back a few wks later to another associate and do the same to them.

Yes we have to watch you if you seem suspicious, it's our job if there's no security guards to help us, at our ulta we dont have security watching..once in a while our loss prevention chief comes and helps out and checks on inventory and stuff so we have to double our job and watch customers as well. For me, that's not my top concern, my concern is to make the guest leave happy and have the products that they need and hopefully make a memorable good experience for them. We don't want to accuse anyone of stealing, but to be honest Ulta deals with a lot of shoplifters so don't be surprised if in fragrance and prestige you are being watched. People do the craziest things to commit theft...it's so sad.

Other than that, we are pushed to be friendly and helpful at our Ulta. I have been to tons of other Ulta's and some Ulta's were friendlier than others, so I can see what people are talking about. I think our Ulta for sure is super friendly and I'm not saying that just because I work there, we are number 5 after all =)

on 6/18/2007 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

I have a love hate relationship with ulta. While its a great store that carries the regular and deparment store name brands, offers coupons, and the greatest rewards program (I got a bottle of perfume for having 6 points). I couldnt agree more that its a great store. I do have to tell you the truth behind ulta. After 4 years of my observation I'm going to have to tell you this: They treat their employee like total total crap. I dont want to support a company that doesnt value their employees. My bestfriend used to work there, and she was depressed majority of the time, because that company is not flexible at all. The managers are always getting the run around on their crucitating systems, coupons always have fine print, they dont take anything back without a receipt and customers are angry, a real retail hell hole behind the scene. An employee is constantly walking on eye shells. During the meetings they are told that most theft is done by employees so they carry a clear bag aka all employees are theives, and if an employee wants to get a salon service, they can get bumped from their appt time because they are employees, and if they come on their off day to shop, they are search before they leave ulta. After working for 4 years, my friend got 14cent raise. The average payroll for a cashier is $8.00 and the average cost of a manager is $10-12 with alot of responsibility without the compensation. The head manager gets $30000. I understand its really normal to get that amount in mid size retail company, bottom line is they dont treat their employees right with constant reminder that they could be fired for anything pity. The employee turnover rate is very high. Overall, its a nifty store that carries variety of things, and a great place to go to during christmas time or wedding season, their Ulta brand makeup is high quality, and point rewards systems is worth checking out but be sure that if you get bad customer service, or low morale, employees are product of their environment, they are really shitty pity and rude beyond believe, thats because its just the way they get treated by management. EDIT: BAD BAD BAD store to shop, Ulta has gotten worse since I wrote my last review, the associates are offensive, and rude, and do not help, and I bet they are still treated badly; Its bet its still like slave work for $8/hr. I went there recently, and the manager was at the cash register and I swear she was DRUNK, literally wasted, when she was talking to her employees. Yikes!

Popular Other Products