ULTA Ulta- whole store

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
ULTA Ulta- whole store

3.0

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm done shopping at Ulta. I feel like crap every time I shop there. I just want to look around and buy what I want without feeling like I'm being followed or be asked "can I help you" every 3 seconds. I'm not trying to steal your precious makeup, I'm a polite normal person and I just want to have a pleasant shopping experience just once when I'm there. I'm sick of the valley girl put on accents and the eye rolling. Is it so wrong to just shop normally like you would at any other store? Am I doing something wrong when I go to Ulta? This is the only store I get treated weird in. Sorry, your not getting anymore of my money.

on 5/18/2016 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

For its $3.50 coupon, Ulta has raised the minimum purchase a whopping $5. You now have to buy $15 worth of items instead of $10.

Their original coupon was the one thing that made me shop at Ulta in the first place. Their prices are much higher than Target and Walmart but the $3.50 off $10+ would bring me in there. When they had 40% off sales, I would stack it with the brand coupons and the Ulta coupon and get some great deals for makeup and skin care. I became a regular customer because of this.

The 50% increase for the coupon's minimum purchase takes away the niche they had and the reason for me to shop there anymore. Bad move, Ulta.

Sigh... where to even start with Ulta. I have such a love/hate relationship with this store. On one hand, they carry a lot of stuff I love and sometimes the points do add up and you can get some really good deals. But on the other hand... good luck actually finding anything to buy because everything is always out of stock! There's always a truck coming on thursday, but I have seen some brands be out of stock for 3 months on end. They claim its the ordering system's fault, that it's automated and doesn't always order enough product. Okay... fair enough... but to that I say- FIX THE ORDERING SYSTEM! Just from these reviews there are clearly lots of customers who are driven to buy elsewhere by the consistently bare shelves, and a smart business would at least try to fix that. And can I please crucify whoever made the brilliant decision to only order maybe 3 of each color for high-demand collections like NYX Wicked Lippies and Macarons?! Yes, I DO love missing out on these just because some higher-up doesn't think more than 3 people per town want teal lipstick. (Hint: WE ALL WANT TEAL LIPSTICK)

8 out of 10 times I leave empty-handed and angry because everything I came in too buy was either sold out or else the one item left in the color I want has been opened(and btw if you do this, please go die in a dumpster fire). I know the employees can't be everywhere at once, but for how much they stalk you all over the store waiting for you to steal something you'd think they could do just a *wee* better job making sure people don't rip open sealed products.

This isn't just my local store either, this is every store I've been to from TX to OK to WI. The ones in WI were better, the one near my house in TX is tolerable(though often chronically out of stock too), but the one in central OK where I used to live is a nightmare. The shelves look like a pipe bomb just went off, most items are opened, and the employees don't even TRY to disguise the fact that they're watching your hands the whole time. One time the manager followed me all over the store and then said to the cashier- as I was standing RIGHT there getting ready to pay- that she didn't see me take anything but she's going to check the cameras later anyway. Just... seriously?

They mark up the drugstore items too- Maybelline lipstick is $6 at Walmart and almost $8 here- and they seem to make up the rules for the sales as they go along. There have been lots of times when I try to buy prestige polish on one of their BOGO sales but when I get to the register, mysteriously none of the brands I want are included in the sale even though they're literally listed right there on the sign. "Oh, uh- you can't mix brands" Sigh... okay, whatever.

Its a rare occasion when they don't put up a fight over items that ring up wrong either. Display tag says $4.99, it rings up $6.99, and they will stand there and argue with me until I drag them over to the display and show them the price. Then it's always "Oh, okay". No apology, just a begrudging price correction and an "omg, go away" attitude.

Don't even get me started on the salon either. I've gotten 2 haircuts there by 2 different stylists, and both times my hair came out uneven, too short, and completely different than what I asked for. I don't cut my hair very often and I don't usually have lot of money to spend when I do, so a $45 salon haircut is a major splurge. I should NOT have to go home and fix it myself >:[

Sigh... I dunno. I keep going there mainly for NYX, but this store just frustrates me to no end.

The Ulta closest to me is well stocked and clean. The problem is the company policies overall. I LOVE the return policy but some of the prices for drugstore makeup is SO much more expensive than other places. Like the Revlon just bitten lip crayon in $6.75 at Walmart but its 9.99 at ulta. What?? The only reason I go is because its a dedicated makeup store and i really only shop drugstore, occasionally mac, because thats what I can afford. If i buy a lot at once, it would be $90 at ulta and like $80 at walmart.

on 2/6/2015 9:30:00 PM

Had the exact same experience as reviewer swimblock. Tried to return an online purchase with the packing slip, was told I needed the original shipping confirmation email. I didn't even have the email anymore. It was a while later until I got back there, by this time it was over 60 days and I could only get store credit. Before I went back, I read the instructions on website for returning online purchases to store. It does say the packing slip can't be used, that you need the email, and it tells you how to bring it up through your Ulta account. So, I give them half a pass. On one hand, it was my error for not reading the return policy beforehand. On the other hand, they should make returns easy like other stores and not make us jump through hoops. Why not print the pricing information on the packing slip? I usually have to ask for my free gift with purchase if there is one, and I'm usually not informed if I have points reward dollars available and asked if I would like to use them toward purchase. The Ulta's near me are all clean and well organized. For the most part, the staff is pleasant and moderately helpful, though not very knowledgeable overall.

on 2/6/2015 7:44:00 PM

I disagree with CordulaM (who is an SA at Ulta and as of now it looks like her review has been deleted) and agree with Shannon804. I recently returned an item I bought online and received such a hassle from the SA and had the same experience as Shannon. I took what I thought was the sales receipt which was in the box when it was delivered and the SA said, it was the packing slip, not the receipt and that I had to find the email, print it out and bring it in. I hit the roof! What I thought was the receipt had the UPC label printed on it so I thought it contained all the sales info. I told the SA that Ulta needed to take it one step further, to include the receipt on the packing slip and that it was really stupid to expect a customer to wade back through their emails to find the original confirmation email, print it out and bring it in. I am an accountant and IMHO, ULTA is doing this to discourage returns. Plus I don't like the fact that ULTA does not give out samples. I am tired of buying products that do not perform like they claim they do and then I have to return them. So I've adopted a policy that I want to sample any new product before I buy it. Nordies and Sephora are both great at giving samples so perhaps Ulta will loose my business to them if they do not make improvements to the store's policies and procedures. As it is now, I am only shopping at Ulta if it is a product that I normally use and/or I can use a coupon. I also agree that the SA's at Ulta do not appear to be as knowledgeable about products as the SA's at Sephora.

on 1/15/2015 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have a huge love hate (more hate) relationship with this store. While online is fantastic, in store... not so much. The last time I was there, I felt like I was followed the whole time. I work retail, so I get it -- to an extent. Beauty at our store is a huge theft problem. Other times, I stand up front wondering where the heck their employees are. I really hate that. I have walked out of stores for that reason. Usually, the associates are super friendly at the store I go to. I usually don't have huge problems with customer service.

My major problem is their -severe lack- of in store stock. I hate driving all the way out there for them to not have 90% of what I'm looking for. Their drugstore section is heavily shopped. A "find in store" option on their website would be amazing. ULTA, in store, is usually my last resort for purchasing something I need ASAP. The Wal-Mart across the street from my job is stocked 1000% better, sadly.

I LOVE that most of their products have testers (I seriously appreciate this. Most drugstores do not have these!) but that does not stop most of their customers from opening the products anyways. Most of the time, one of the products I am looking for only have ONE left, and it's always open! This is why I'm a huge online shopper.

My store can be really slow at getting new arrivals too. A new line or product that the community has been talking about for months can take months to land. We are in a pretty prominent city. I just don't get it. They seem to have been getting better about this on my last visit. I also wish they had better drugstore selection, in general.

I love the concept of the store. I hate fighting traffic in other big stores when I just want to look at beauty items. They need to keep their stores stocked better.Their sales are pretty awesome. They ALWAYS have a coupon floating around as well.

on 2/23/2014 3:29:00 PM

If I ever shop at ULTA again, please shoot me. I normally spend about $200 to $250 per quarter. That is a total of $800 to $1000 per year. But today is the final straw. I purchased the Mally shadow sticks online. The description indicates 5 different colors. But instead, I received 4 colors with a double of one of the shadows for the 5th shadow. I would not have minded if the double was of a brown shade, but it was ‘camo’, short for camouflage – a green shade. So, this morning, I try to return it to my local ULTA. I bring the paperwork, shipped with the product. But, that isn’t enough. They want a copy of my email order confirmation. Now, how would anyone suspect that there isn’t sufficient information on the paperwork that comes with the shipment? It is at Sephora. Why not ULTA? So, I give them my ‘club rewards card’ to look up the item. But apparently, they cannot look up the item using my club card. The store manager’s response is that if they sold the item in the store, there would be no problem. But since they don’t sell the Mally product line at that location, they cannot take the item back without the order confirmation email. Now whoever has heard of a system like this? They should be able to look up my order online, or to find the item on my account using my ‘rewards card’, or they should supply sufficient info on the packing paperwork. But no! All of these common solutions are not available to ULTA employees.

So, my rave continues. I called up the Las Vegas, ‘Best of the West’ store to ask if one of the manufacturer’s reps was available. Their response was – we don’t know when the manufacturer’s reps will be in the store. How can anyone run a store when you don’t know who is arriving? There should be a schedule of when reps will be present daily. How can you tell a prospective customer that they don’t know when the rep will be present? If I wanted to make an appt with one of these reps, how could I? What a terrible way to run a business, not very professional.

And finally, ULTA has the most ridiculous rules on how to use the $3.50 coupon. The coupon can only be used on drug store items. Hasn’t the ULTA upper mgmt. realized that $3.50 on what they refer to as ‘prestige’ items will result in higher sales and higher profit? How stupid can they be? At least they have improved their ‘beauty rewards’ program. Previously, points were awarded. These points can be used for predetermined products - for the most part, product that you don’t want. And the points expire so that they cannot be used after the expiration date. They cannot be accumulated. The program has been changed to allow one to use the points/rewards for purchases of any items. It’s about time. But I haven’t seen the regulations of the new program and knowing how ULTA operates, I’m sure they will impose some ridiculous regulation that makes the reward impossible to use. But I’m done. I will return my product and no longer purchase anything from ULTA again. Give me Sephora any day. They have great customer service and treat their clients with respect.

I only gave a review of 1 because I could not leave a rating of 0.

on 8/1/2013 8:55:00 PM

At the Ulta in my location, I have been lucky enough not to encounter too many rude or unpleasant sales associates like many others seem to... For the most part, they seem to not know much about their products, but they are always pleasant enough. My only complaint would be the fact that they claim there is no waiting list for products and they have never once offered to order what I have been looking for (I have been looking for the Mario Badescu Ceramide Herbal Eye Cream for at least the last month and a half and each time had the associate go look in the drawers and the back for me, and always made other purchases while I am in the store so the trip was not a complete waste of time). So, if the shalves were stocked more, I may not have an issue shopping here. Also, my Ulta is not very generous with the samples they have behind the counter, even when making a large purchase. I was also informed during my last visit that the samples shown in the magazine only apply to online orders and not purchases made in store.

I do appreciate the fact that I can get all my drugstore and a number of high end products in one location, which is nice. But if the nearest Sephora wasn't an hour and a half away, I definitely would shop there for these products instead.

on 5/16/2013 8:25:00 PM

I went to the Ulta in Las Vegas when I was going through town a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice clean store, and they really tried to be helpful.
I thought they were lovely people but they really didn't seem to know much about any of the smaller brands they carry, and they also don't have a lot of stock in - the shelves are full on the big names and practically empty on any smaller brands. Since I like to try to support newcomers to the market, and I rely on the store people to help me with what's good and what they love, I was disappointed.

That said, the customer service was excellent - not their fault they have not been properly trained on the products, for sure! I wonder who is in charge of that?

Popular Other Products