Ulta Ulta- whole store

Filtered by eye Color : Black
No Image

2.7

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Overrated and Overpriced. This store is nothing but the cosmetics section of Walgreens and CVS plus Sephora all rolled into one. I find the makeup to be priced lower at Walmart and Target. What really annoys me is that I usually go to their Essence section which is the lowest priced cosmetic items (besides Wet & Wild), but as usual it is HARDLY EVER fully stocked (this can go on for weeks). It also usually has a very unsanitary look to it. Apparently, customers are sampliing the products right out of the package and writing all over the display cases with eyeliners and nail polish swatches. I know they don't pay attention to that section particularly because I saw the poorly stocked selections which included random products from other areas where customers had placed them there I guess after changing their minds and didn't want to take it back where it belonged. I found it gross that going there a few days later, (like four days later), the section looked exactly the same, with the same misplaced products over there. I guess "straightening the store" at the end of the night is a thing of the past. I hardly ever find anything good in there and I have had to return so many things it's pitiful. They really need to have more testers, that would help to eliminate that problem. I also don't like to be watched like a hawk. I always get a sort of uneasy feeling when I am in there most of the time. The SA's at the checkout for the most part are friendly. However, I can hardly ever find any available Sales Asociates on the floor when I need help finding something. The only pro I really have is that they carry my favorite eyeliner, and I have searched for months for the perfect one and finally found it for $1.59 and also they have a great return policy. They also have great coupon deals, despite all of the stipulations attached to it. Other than that, it's really not worth the hype. Therefore, I think I'll stick to getting my lipstick and glosses at Walmart, Target, and the Beauty Supply Store.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Today, after my last ever trip to Ulta, I filled out their online survey where I said I would not recommend their store to anyone, so the purpose of this review is to fulfill that promise. I recommend you don't go to Ulta. I don't have anything new to say about Ulta, I suppose. They do have a wide selection of products, but I don't quite understand why everything is so overpriced. Unless I need something obscure, I generally won't go there, as I can find the same products at other stores for less money. My biggest gripe with this store has to do with customer service. It's ranged from average to the worst customer service I've ever had. I've sometimes felt hurt and offended by the responses from employees in this store if I ask for products that they don't know about (which apparently means they're awful products) or for whatever reason don't approve of. I don't even want to go into specifics because it's just too annoying to think about.

on 7/18/2009 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I hate Ulta because of their SAs. The store concept is great. High End and Drug Store/Low End cosmetics and beauty products together. It's like my mu stash. They have good sales and their store brand is decent.

But it takes a lot to get me to go there. I'll make the trip to 3 stores & 6 counters because it's honestly less hassle.

I've gone to every Ulta in an hours drive (which is 14). At every single one, the SAs were rude. They act like it's a favor to you that they work there.

I've talked to store managers, district managers, regional managers & customer service reps. Every single one was rude.

They are very much a "Buyer Beware" store.

on 2/18/2009 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this store!
Their price is reasonable, and SAs are friendly, also.
I visits 2 locations near my house weekly.
BTW, when you go to Ulta, you should check the clearance section.
The cosmetics are nasty, but sometimes they have good sale on Nail polishes. (I got Essie, ChG, Creative between @ $0.99-$ 2.99

on 11/25/2008 8:03:00 PM

I like Sephora a LOT better than Ulta. Here's the breakdown:

PROS:
+ They have both high-end products and low-end products. They carry some brands that Sephora doesn't, like H20+ and Red Earth.
+ There's an in-store salon so you can get your hair done and buy products to keep it nice and pretty at the same time.
+ They have the occasional 20% offs or $5 off, but there are so many limitations.

CONS:
+ So pricey! I can buy the same things at Target (which is right across the street) for a dollar or so cheaper. It doesn't seem like that big of a difference but it all adds up in the end.
+ Samples are pretty much non-existent here. Customers just open new bottles and try them out! And if there are any samples, they're either empty or the cap is extremely screwed up and nobody seems to care enough to do anything about it.
+ Returns. Now I need to be positive I won't need to return something after I buy it because it is too troublesome to.
+ I'm neutral toward the SAs. One girl was sweet enough to grab me the last curling iron from the backroom. But there was this other time that I went to Ulta to get a free sample of Bare Minerals and the girl who gave me my consultation told me to just go to the front and ask for a sample. I did, and one of the cashiers handed me a sample but was stopped by the other girl at the front. She said that they weren't supposed to "give it away" and asked me who told me I could get one. I pointed out the lady who matched my shade and the cashier girl looked like she didn't believe me at all and rolled her eyes at me. She snatched it from the first cashier girl and quickly printed out a receipt. She handed both to me without looking at me and didn't even ask if I wanted a bag or anything! She was so rude, so I snatched my free SAMPLE (isn't the point of samples to let everyone try it?) from her and said "Thank you" nicely to the first cashier girl and just ignored the rude poohead. Gahhhhh.
+ From reading all you MUAers' reviews about their points system, it seems soooo messed up. Every time they ask me if I want to sign up for a card I give them a flat out No. I don't have the patience or time to wait around for their ancient computers to work.

Obviously the cons outrace the pros, but I like the concept of the store so I gave it two lippies. It would be amazing if they had good service and prices because the idea of having drug store and department store makeup products together is so awsome.

on 2/25/2008 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I live in DC and there is no Ulta so I have to go out of town. DC is very small but the metro area relied on doing business with DC. There are 3 Ulta stores, out of DC, metro area. I have often been to one in Silver Spring, MD. The store is small compared to one in Rockville and Springfield.

I don't think SA are helpful, they usually don't know what they are doing and avoid questions. One is even rude when I asked about Elizabeth Arden MU. Selections are not much but considering limited stores in DC, I can still find most OPI l love. I signed up for coupons (and reward program) and I can use them for OPI and most items in the store. I also like Bellissima (Made in France) hair accessories and they're usually 25% off.

I don't like ulta.com because it is not user friendly. I even called to CS but she told me to contact my credit card companies. ( I use plural because I tried with 3 different credit cards for less than $15 purchase). Shipping fee is not cheap, base is $6.

In short, if I want some high ends products, I'd go to Macy's or Sephora and mid-low products, Ulta is a nice place to save $, especially with coupons as long as I don't ask questions to SA. Return policy is good too. I keep going there because it's closed to the mall, good food around. Otherwise, I don't bother.

on 9/12/2007 8:08:00 AM

Well, the reason why I adore Ulta so much is because the stuff there is moderately priced and you can get a nice mix of high-end products (Smashbox, Too-Faced, Bare Escentuals, etc...) and also drugstore products. I don't know about other people, but Ulta carries a lot of "drugstore products" that I can't find anywhere else (save the Internet). I've heard really good things about Got2b's In Your Face line of facial masks, and couldn't find them anywhere but Ulta. Plus, they usually have a much better stock for drugstore products than most drugstores. Yes, the price is a bit more than what you'd probably pay at Walmart, but I find the prices to be only a few cents difference (or at most like .50) than Target and it isn't more expensive than CVS; plus Walmart isn't exactly known for a wide selection of cosmetics. Plus, they also offer their "house brand" which is quite inexpensive and still pretty good quality and frequently on sale. It's like a downscaled Sephora in a much larger atmosphere (the Sephora I go to most frequently is so tiny and compact) and you get a good array of products from high end to typical drugstore fare. Unfortunately, Sephora is REALLY far away from me whereas Ulta is only a 20min drive away and I can pretty much be assured that they will probably have what I want...I can't comment on their makeup artists or their salons, but I do say that I have always enjoyed going into Ulta and will continue to do so loyally!

Popular Other Products