Ulta Ulta- whole store

No Image

3.2

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love that Ulta carries an array of both drugstore and Salon/High end products so I can easily pick up some Banana Boat sunscreen and a bottle of Redken Cleansing Cream for example. My lcoal Ulta stores are actually pretty clean, well-stocked, and if they don't have what I came in for, the SAs usually tell me when they are expecting new orders or if I need to go on a waiting list to ensure I get the product.Yes, I have had a couple of bad experiences with some rude SAs and I either ignore them (Most of time I know what I am coming in for so don't need their help or attitudes anyway) or report them to the manager if they are being too overt with their rudeness. Another thing I enjoy is being able to use the coupon in their sales catalog. It helps when I am buying multiple things. The liter sales are wonderful if you know what you like in your haircare and want to save some money. I have never ordered anything from their website, but will have to try it out one day. Update 2/20/15 I have ordered things online three or four times by now and have been very happy. I am actually able to get my hands on things that are not in stock at my local Ulta. Also, they have free shipping if you spend over $50 and samples with your package. I love it! If you are product junkie like me this does not help lol. I also love the 20 percent coupons that come every now and then in the mail. Make sure to register online to get a catalog.

on 2/15/2013 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

There are two Ultas where I live; one gets a five-star and one gets ONE star. Guess which one is closest to my house? Yes, the one that is the most hideous. I go out of my way (and almost 20 miles) to go to the GOOD Ulta store. It's staffed by very young but very NICE gals who let me shop, don't ride my a$$, and are nothing but great every time I go in.

I have had an ongoing issue with the manager of the closer store. She is short, and has thin hair plastered to her skull in blonde, black, and pink tones. I only give this description in case she frequents the MUA boards and might perhaps recognize herself here. I can only pray.
Whenever I go into the "bad Ulta", this manager treats me like a shoplifter with a communicable disease. My first experience with her, I had to return an online order and she treated it as a return with no receipt and tried to force me to take store credit; um, no thanks. Open your eyes and read the papers in front of you! Halfway through our transaction she took a personal phone call and left another employee to 'finish it up'. That poor girl messed the entire transaction up and I had to wait for Hello Kitty Hair to drop her personal phone call. Several times I have been fruitlessly searching for something, and had to find someone to help---and there was HKH, putting on makeup directly from the high-end makeup testers! Dipping the brushes back into the testers, putting on her face, back in the testers: I was so grossed out. She did not even wash the brushes when she put them back on the end of the counter! She looked up to see me watching her and got a really snotty, snobby tone in her voice when she asked me if I was finding everything (as she kind of looked me up and down as she always does).

I once went in to see if I could find some curl styling cream, praying that she not be the one to accost---er, help--me. Sure enough she ignored me while I cruised the cheap side of the store (Cover Girl, Revlon) but as soon as I hit the Pureology section, she was on me like flies on poop. As she walked toward me hurriedly to ask me if I needed help (eyeing my hands and purse as she did so) I told her what I was searching for, knowing she would be clueless since her hair is so thin and straight. Mine is thick and curly and dry and looked a mess that day due to some crazy wind, I hoped that the state of it would show someone what I needed. Miss Kitty started leading me all over the hair care area, showing me stuff that would work on HER hair. I told her several times, I need some curly hair styling cream--she wasn't listening. So I found the Deva Curl area and she cooed, "Oh they have great shampoo!" But I'm looking for a styling cream. "Oh they have great hair gel!" But---I need a styling cream. As I found the bottle of cream MYSELF, she chirped, "Oh that's great styling cream!" YOU THINK??? Then---she said--"I have thick curly hair myself, that's great stuff!" I told her, I will get this and hope that it works. She said--brace yourself---"Well it can't look any worse!"
Really? I can see your SCALP, your hair is so thin and fine!! Maybe she is trying to 'relate' but I almost fell over when she said this to me. It took all I had not to react.
She also offered to carry the cream to the front for me--when has anyone at Ulta tried to 'babysit' what you picked up so that you don't shoplift it? This isn't the jewelry counter at Wal-mart! I'm probably old enough to be this twit's mother and she acts like I'm some kind of felon. (I have redeemed SEVERAL 1000 point rewards, obviously spending quite a bit of money in there)
Maybe all the times I've filled out surveys and specifically mentioned this woman's behavior, she's figured out that I tattle on her and she's annoyed? She never has a name badge on so I don't know what her name is, and I truly don't want to ask her because her entire demeanor is such that it seems like her lip is curling as she talks to me. I am not a confrontational person but I finally hit my saturation point with her and started talking to her like Mrs. Thurston Howell III when she approaches me. (Then I find someone else to help me if I need it) If she seems to be hovering while I browse, I no longer pay any attention to her. If she's watching me, she's not talking on the phone or putting on makeup from the testers and contaminating them.

Sigh.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I love ulta ! They have a wide variety of products and brands . My ulta has everything seperated into sections making it easy to find what your looking for. The SA are very nice and helpful! They ask if you need help but they also give you space. They always accept my coupons, answer any questions i have , and inform me of any deals. Ultas a great store. I guess it just depends on the people who work there that decide whether your trip will be a happy one .

on 9/16/2012 3:14:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

i went in there once on a slow day and I was carrying my purse with me, in my purse I had my makeup bag which i guess was open and some stuff moved out. I carry some products with me since I work long hours in-case I need to touch up

I was looking at some mascara when a lady who works there came up to me, peeked into my bag, and told me "Oh it looks like you may have accidentally dropped some of our products into your bag!!"

What was showing was my tarte blissful blush, and my KAT VON D concealer that they do not even sell at that location.

I politely told her that these are mine and I paid for them and I did not buy it there, she did not believe me.

A whole ordeal took place, long story short if you are a person of any color or ethnicity do not go there because you are a criminal and will have people peeping into your purse without your permission

SHOPPING WHILE ARAB AT ULTA = BAD IDEA

on 5/8/2012 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I go to Ulta only when I want a specific item and have coupons. In and out. It's nothing to write home about. I hate the re-do of the store. I prefer to search for things by brand, not type. SA are ok. I rarely deal with them. Depends on when you go. I have met a few who were very nice. Other times, didn't know what the heck I was looking for.

on 9/27/2011 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I find Ulta really exciting because I am generally too poor for Sephora's brands and there aren't many other beauty stores around. I love the atmosphere of a beauty store...sometimes it's nice to shop for less costly makeup without a screaming brat knocking mascara off the shelf because some mom in the bread aisle lost track of her. I have not tried their salon or other services, so I cannot comment. The coupons are misleading because their prices are basically gouged and you break even. Who are they trying to fool? I always pay at least two dollars more per product here, so I don't really buy things I can get cheaper elsewhere...basically only go there for NYX cosmetics to avoid shipping costs and see the colors in person. I love NYX! It's also nice to walk around and sniff fragrances. I enjoy it. Overall, I am not super impressed by the products in their brand line, either. The eyeshadows, eyeliners, and mascaras I have tried are horrible.

on 11/13/2010 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I like Ulta but I understand some of the hate. I definitely feel like the salespeople are way too pushy - I had someone ask me 3 times in 10 minutes if I needed help with anything, and they always try to sell me random stuff every time I go in there. I know they have to get business for the store, and it's probably some corporate bs that gets pushed on them, but it's annoying.
That being said, I love the concept of the store: you can buy drugstore products, high-end makeup, perfume, hair products, etc. all in one place. I do think their prices on d/s stuff are a little steep but they send coupons and have sales frequently enough that I don't feel like I'm breaking the bank. I only really go there if I have a coupon, or if I want something that I know I can't get anywhere else close to where I live (it's the only place I've found NYX products in my area, for example). Their sales on the Ulta store brand are particularly good, and they have some nice exclusive sets once in a while that are good deals. I've never tried the salon, but the lady at the Benefit brow bar seemed knowledgeable so I'd consider going there for a brow wax.
Overall, I like the store but don't go there very often, only when I'm looking for something in particular. When I do go the experience is just okay.

on 2/15/2010 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Ulta is just "meh" for me. Any products sold at Ulta I can get at either Sephora, CVS or from offline. The customer service is poor and they are a little snooty (with no reason to be, it's basically a drugstore/salon, seriously). Sometimes they have good sales but, Ulta is barely on my radar. I live about 3 miles from a Sephora and less than 1 mile from a CVS so you already know which ones I'd have to pick if I need some beauty items. Plus they are super nice at my local Sephora.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

i love the store! Ihave always hated the snobby feeling you get when you go into Sephora so I was so happy to have an Ulta to shop at instead. The employees have always been pleasant, not overbearing; However not incredibly helpful. How could you not like a store that carries every beauty product you could possibly want!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Today, after my last ever trip to Ulta, I filled out their online survey where I said I would not recommend their store to anyone, so the purpose of this review is to fulfill that promise. I recommend you don't go to Ulta. I don't have anything new to say about Ulta, I suppose. They do have a wide selection of products, but I don't quite understand why everything is so overpriced. Unless I need something obscure, I generally won't go there, as I can find the same products at other stores for less money. My biggest gripe with this store has to do with customer service. It's ranged from average to the worst customer service I've ever had. I've sometimes felt hurt and offended by the responses from employees in this store if I ask for products that they don't know about (which apparently means they're awful products) or for whatever reason don't approve of. I don't even want to go into specifics because it's just too annoying to think about.

Popular Other Products