ULTA Ulta- whole store

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
ULTA Ulta- whole store

3.1

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm done shopping at Ulta. I feel like crap every time I shop there. I just want to look around and buy what I want without feeling like I'm being followed or be asked "can I help you" every 3 seconds. I'm not trying to steal your precious makeup, I'm a polite normal person and I just want to have a pleasant shopping experience just once when I'm there. I'm sick of the valley girl put on accents and the eye rolling. Is it so wrong to just shop normally like you would at any other store? Am I doing something wrong when I go to Ulta? This is the only store I get treated weird in. Sorry, your not getting anymore of my money.

Skin: Other, Olive, Neutral

There are a lot of pro's and con's with shoping at Ulta.
Pro's-
Drugstore & High End products- Clinic, Bare Minerals, Too Faced, It Cosmetics, Stila, Lancome, Urban Decay, Tarte, Becca (finally in my store), drugstore- Makeup Revolution, L'Oreal, Maybelline, Revlon, Physician's Formula, Ulta brand products, etc. etc. etc.

Awesome sales such as BOGO, online offers, special offers emailed coupons to get a deluxe sample for any purchase or brand deluxe samples for same brand purchases, $3.50/$5/20% off coupons that can be used and combined with MF coupons on specific items or at times any item.

Ulta Member Reward points for all purchases, special offers to 2x/3x/4x/5x points on specific purchase during a given time. Earn and redeem them toward a future purchase before they expire. Platinum members get bonus offers, sometimes free shipping on Platinum Perk offers, and Platinum perk steals at awesome prices.

Stores have testers now on even drugstore brands, and most prestige brands.

Innovative & new products to see and test out in the store. You don't have to be stocked across the counter for assistance or experience mental pressure just because your curious about an item.

Clearance section- on discontinued, & out of season items

Special gifts sets that are free on certain purchases during certain times of the year.

Free gift & coupon to spend for your birthday.

Con's-
Need more constant well trained staff. I've had a few unpleasant experiences, but it changes. Though I appreciate most of the staff I use to feel turned off with incredibly young associates assisting me with anti aging products. Let me tell them about sagging and wrinkles because I'm past forty, not the other way around. I'm happy to see they are making room for mature women who are wonderfully presented on the staff.

Sometimes I feel the staff is hard to keep because they are pressured by cooperate to push sales, & manage store responsibilities than what is reasonable to expect from any human.

Not all brands listed in advertisements are at all locations.

They don't have 6 hr beauty steals in stores, only online.

Some products are only offered online.

To remain Platinum you must spend $400 now to keep status every year, when it use to be $300 so your points don't expire. But they have offered better deals for Platinum members lately.

on 9/7/2016 11:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Now that I live in the suburbs and there is no convenient Sephora around - I go to Ulta about once every 4-6 weeks. Also I have a tween/teen daughter so we are there more often for her and her friends. I have not used the hair or skin care salons - but for cosmetics and beauty tools it's fine. Lines are super long around the holidays.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is the place I go when I am sad lol I LOVE Ulta! They have a great selection of products and an amazing point program! I can't say enough good things about this store, it's just freaking awesome! I love getting points on items I buy for my family (body wash, shampoo, etc)

on 4/1/2016 5:08:00 AM

Customer service is hit or miss. I would really love it if the cashiers would tell me I have points about to expire. But most of the time, when I am at the cash register, I feel like I am in a drugstore, except that my local Walgreens has friendlier and more helpful cashiers. I blame it on Ulta corporate culture. Any company with great customer service trains employees to be customer-oriented. Oh well, there are plenty of other places for me to spend my hard-earned money.

on 9/5/2015 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I usually shop at Sephora.
I recently placed an order online at Ulta's website.I picked up a few fragrances, and as we all know they aren't cheap. I chose the fragrances pack for my free sample.The picture that depicted the free fragrances samples showed five miniature bottles. You know the tiny kind with the little sprayer?
When my package arrived I was surprised to see that only two of the five fragrances they sent were bottled. The remaining four were the folding-paper type that you could get in a magazine.
They were free, and I'm glad that they sent them. But they need to go ahead and show online what they actually look like.
I would have picked the skin care sampler had I known.

on 7/16/2015 12:06:00 AM

Love my local store but have gotten to where I hate shopping them on-line. Every time I order on-line I receive damaged product, all due to their poor shipping preparations. Seriously, how can someone pack delicate eyeshadows, blushes and powders in a box without wrapping in protective bubble wrap, adding packing peanuts or some other type of packing material to keep my anticipated purchases safe in shipping. Four orders in a row I have received damaged products and quite frankly am tired of dealing with the poorly trained customer service personnel and having to explain and justify my return and request a replacement.

I will say that Sephora.com has them beat hands down. I get my purchases in 2-3 days, items are carefully packed and in the event that something is damaged I get a replacement shipped overnight. Nothing is more irritating than waiting 2 weeks to get our purchases from Ulta, receiving damaged items, dealing with getting a replacement (which these orders have to go through an approval process that takes a week) and then waiting another 2 weeks while they ship via snail mail. It is extremely irritating when your replacement item arrives in a thin bulk envelope and it too is damaged.

Yes my preference is to shop my local store, where I am treated like a rock star due to my purchase habits and makeup, skincare and hair care addiction. But there are brands that are only available on-line so I have no choice but to roll the dice, order on-line and keep my fingers crossed that the person prepping my order for shipment actually has some pride in their job and wants to perform it properly. Nine times out of ten I am left disappointed and have to deal with returns.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE Ulta! The stores I have been to are: the Green Valley location in Las Vegas, Nevada on Stephanie Street; the Silverado Ranch location on Eastern Blvd in Las Vegas, Nevada; the location in Waldorf in Maryland; and the location in White Marsh in Maryland. All of these locations have been clean and the employees, for the most part, helpful. There have been a couple employees in the Las Vegas locations that were snobby, unhelpful, and even ignored me. It was in the Stephanie location where a man passed by me and asked, "Do you need help with anything?" while walking past me. He didn't even LOOK at me or pause, he just continued walking. I said, "Yes, please. I have a question..." and he continued walking past me. I walked in his direction and said, "Excuse me?..." and he turned around, looked at me with a confused expression, and then continued walking away and went in the back of the store. That was incredibly rude. It literally seemed like he was just asking to ask because that's what employees are expected to do and was disturbed that I had the gall to actually request his presence.

It seems that different locations carry different products. If you're looking for something in particular, I suggest calling the store you're going to before you go in to ask if they have that specific product in the specific shade you need available. I have done this and most employees are kind enough to get the product and hold it up front for me so I can come in later that day to pick it up. I have gone to Ulta countless times to get something in particular and found they don't have it all or don't have it in stock. It just is what it is. Perhaps you can call and ask the location nearest to you to order something if they don't have it. I don't recall doing this yet, so I don't know how that will work out.

The main reasons I love this store are because of the coupons. You can get a free membership card to use online and in store. With this card they usually send you a monthly or bi-weekly catalog with new products, on sale products, and a $3.50 off coupon for purchases over $10 before tax. Yes, it includes sale and clearance items! I don't think it applies for certain products though, so read the fine print. I've never purchased a product yet that it didn't apply to. However, I downloaded the app Shopular on my iphone which gives me coupons to the stores I walk into. I can use the same $3.50 off coupon inside the app with the barcode I receive as many times as I want instead of using one coupon every catalog I receive. This is much more efficient. For example, over the weekend I went in and purchased a self-tanner that was $13. I got it for $9.50. Later on I went back in and bought quite a few clearance and on sale items that were originally $10.50 altogether and only paid $7. I am planning on going back this week to purchase a foundation that is $12 and I'll only pay $8.50. So you can see how having a free membership and using the coupons can really be economical.

Plus, at the end of the year in December, depending on how many products you purchased during the calendar year and how much money you spent, they send you free things and take additional money off of purchases. Great when buying Christmas gifts from there.

Lastly, the reason I love Ulta is because they finally have started carrying my favorite self-tanner, St. Moriz (the St. Tropez knock off). Formerly this product was only available in Europe because it is manufactured in England. The only way to get it was by buying it online through places like Amazon, which could lead you to end up with tampered, false, or watered down products. Now that Ulta has it I can purchase it from an American retailer any time I need to and I know it's authentic and safe.

on 2/6/2015 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Edit: I totally hear what you guys are saying. I have issues with them too. Sometimes I feel like we're a tight-knit family where the siblings get along but we don't like our parents. LOL. I've actually had to edit this post since I wrote it because the policies changed. I still really like most of the staff, and the store, but corporate needs to fix a lot of shit.

I work(ed) at a high-grossing Ulta and I have to say my experience is very different. (AND I only work there because I LOVED SHOPPING at the store!! And my reviews not deleted, but I think I make good points so hear me out.)

It's not perfect, we could each do with thousands more hours to make the store better, but it doesn't exist in the budget for the stores. Could they do it in theory? Probably, which is what sucks. But that's retail. But everyone who works in my store is so nice and friendly and educated. We do know a lot about products but some requests are ridiculous. 'No, I haven't tried every single type of hair gel for YOUR hair type, I don't even use gel.' It's frustrating when you try to learn about as many products as possible but the customers want a million details that you can't offer. And new products come out constantly.

The return policy has changed since I've been there and that frustrates me too. As long as it's on their account, we can look it up. However the store associate should be nice about it. At least they were when I was there. As a matter of fact the store employees are still really nice when I go in and shop (even at different stores) but again the problem is corporate and the rules they make. As far as internet returns, the slip that comes in the box does not say the price paid for the items, that's why we need the email confirmation to show the price paid, or people return for more than they paid. This is another thing that corporate should change so that the bar code could be scanned and pull up the price paid, since there are coupons and sales all the time. It wouldn't be fair to return an item at full price if full price wasn't what was paid. It's not about disagreeing, it's just how it works. YES I agree it could be better, and they should show the price paid on the packing slip, but until then, it's only fair to show and receive the same amount of money back.

Also, the customers are pretty bad at times. We try to never assume people are stealing unless it's seen, but we find so many empty boxes and used products - it upsets us too. Nyx started having testers and started shrink wrapping lipsticks, so less people use them. I think that's great. As a customer, I also hate it when people open all the products!!! Remember, I shop here too!!

As far as "find in store", I agree. You can actually search some prestige items to see if your local store has it. If it's not an option online, call and ask. If we don't get back to your right away, it's because the calls go up to the register and as you know, the cashiers are usually extremely busy with a line, but they do get someone to look for the product for you. I've had people complain that I can't find a simple product on BLACK FRIDAY on the phone, even though I left to check a few times and it was busy as hell. Give a little credit to the other side, people aren't lazy, they're probably just very busy, or new.

As far as truck, we have NO control over what comes, it's from the warehouse, we just put it out and hope the right products come. And it's a lot. Often we do get most things in they just sell fast or the company doesn't want to release lot (like the Wicked or Macarron, those were limited edition). We come in at 5am to unload truck and 6am the days we don't get truck to finish putting it out. Because guess what? If we do it when the store is open, we don't get far because people always ask us for help, which is understandable, but this is why we have to get most of it done during off-hours. Personally, I love it. I love making the store nice and neat. Stocking doesn't make me feel low class, I take pride in it.

If you learn what the coupons are eligible for, it's really easy. (Hint: It's only drugstore brands, the large post card coupons that come out a few times a year are for (most) Prestige brands, but the flyer ones never are.) I like the points system overall, and I like that now will refund the points that you used if you return an item. The gifts with purchase change so often, you sometimes have to remind the staff. Sometimes we forget or run out. It happens.

I liked shopping here before I worked at one of the stores. The sales and coupons are awesome. I always get such great deals. It doesn't pay a lot as a job, the hours aren't enough and we could always use more help to get the store clean and organized, but I think over all it's a place I would continue to shop at, working there or not.

UPDATE: We since had gotten new management at my store and it improved SO MUCH. We had more hours for truck and stocking and organizing and they were much better with customer service. I then moved and after a few months decided to work at the one in my new location. I liked the job and knew what I was doing and wanted the discount back lol. This one is super clean and neat, the staff is amazing. They were even more intensive in training and guidelines which I found helpful. I've been to so many Ulta's from even before working for them (from NY to CA!) and the biggest complaint I had as a customer was some were messy, had long lines and were understaffed. Sometimes products I wanted were out, but would come back in on stock days. But stores some are pristine, the staff is warm and welcoming and I love the selection overall.

I actually really did like working for them because I loved my coworkers but there are things that frustrate me and it's definitely upper management things. So bothers me when the employees get a lot of flack when really it's not them that's causing it most of the time.

on 1/15/2015 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have a huge love hate (more hate) relationship with this store. While online is fantastic, in store... not so much. The last time I was there, I felt like I was followed the whole time. I work retail, so I get it -- to an extent. Beauty at our store is a huge theft problem. Other times, I stand up front wondering where the heck their employees are. I really hate that. I have walked out of stores for that reason. Usually, the associates are super friendly at the store I go to. I usually don't have huge problems with customer service.

My major problem is their -severe lack- of in store stock. I hate driving all the way out there for them to not have 90% of what I'm looking for. Their drugstore section is heavily shopped. A "find in store" option on their website would be amazing. ULTA, in store, is usually my last resort for purchasing something I need ASAP. The Wal-Mart across the street from my job is stocked 1000% better, sadly.

I LOVE that most of their products have testers (I seriously appreciate this. Most drugstores do not have these!) but that does not stop most of their customers from opening the products anyways. Most of the time, one of the products I am looking for only have ONE left, and it's always open! This is why I'm a huge online shopper.

My store can be really slow at getting new arrivals too. A new line or product that the community has been talking about for months can take months to land. We are in a pretty prominent city. I just don't get it. They seem to have been getting better about this on my last visit. I also wish they had better drugstore selection, in general.

I love the concept of the store. I hate fighting traffic in other big stores when I just want to look at beauty items. They need to keep their stores stocked better.Their sales are pretty awesome. They ALWAYS have a coupon floating around as well.

Popular Other Products