Ulta Ulta- whole store

No Image

3.2

on 8/3/2016 5:12:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Totally agree with the comment below in regards to the whole coupon thing. I also had a 5 off ulta brand stuff and a 3.50 off coupon and I bought plenty of stuff that qualified both of them but the chick at the register would only let me use one. Come on ulta, like your not making enough money. This is why my scores are way low for this place.

on 7/12/2015 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

The good:
-carries drugstore products (plus NYX, which can be hard to find)
-provides far more coupons and discount opportunities than Sephora does
-more down-to-earth staff compared to Sephora

The bad:
-never seems to be well-stocked
-SA's not particularly knowledgeable
-drugstore products more expensive at Ulta for some reason
-testers are always disgusting or broken
-online orders take an eternity to arrive

My most consistent problem with Ulta stores is lack of stock. I rarely have this problem with Sephora. However, Sephora stores always seem to be loud and cramped, and while their staff are more knowledgeable, I can be pestered by 3 or 4 different SA's in a single visit to Sephora whereas I find Ulta SA's will usually give me some space until I ask for help. Ulta also has a better rewards system and more opportunities for discounts. Truthfully, though, if it weren't for Ulta's more comfortable atmosphere, their sales/rewards, and the NYX products, I would probably never go.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

If it is possible to buy something at a physical store other than Ulta, I will go out of my way to get it there rather than have to brave Ulta. First, the staff is CLUELESS and doesn't even try to learn or pretend like they know anything. I mean, anyone can Google "best mascara" and have a random suggestion when customers ask what they should try. When I have asked for specific palettes or products, they look at me like I have three heads. My Ultas have products out that you can test, but no testing tools or alcohol to clean the testers with . . . gross. The one lippie is for the coupons, but 90% of the time, they aren't valid on the brands I want. They also don't give samples, so you can't try anything, and their return policy is not generous. Their customer service is the worst in the beauty business. I bought the wrong shade of a powder online, and brought it into the store to exchange it, with my receipt, product still sealed in plastic. They made a huge fuss and tried to tell me that I couldn't exchange it, then tried to tell me they didn't carry that brand in the store, despite the fact that they do, then told me the problem was that they needed my e-mail confirmation. Any time I order online, it takes two to four weeks to receive my order (!). I have placed Sephora or Target orders and received my items within 3 days-- meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Ulta to process my order from two weeks ago. Why would I pay the SAME PRICE as other stores for CRAPPY service? Thank goodness Target started carrying NYX. I may never set foot in this place again.

on 2/6/2015 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I don't like Ulta's customer service. Not much help offered, plus if you need to return anything, you're made to feel like you're robbing them or something. A few times, the cashier even forgot to give me the free gift with purchase I am entitled to. I never shop at Ulta, unless absolutely necessary!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Ulta stores are NOT created equal. I think with this store it all comes down to the staff. I have three Ulta's within a 10-30 minute rage from me. One of those stores is the next town over and I ONLY go to that one in a pinch or tight on time. The SA's are usually miserable and lack motivation. I know this isn't an exciting job at NASA but some enthusiasm would be greatly appreciated and customers will want to spend money! For spa services or I want to do a haul or take my time, I have to drive to the 30 minute location. Of course, the furthest one is the best one. So, I give this particular furthest store five stars. The sales associates are always eager to help and will go check to see when things will be back in stock. They will, get this, tell you if you have points you can use without you even asking! Also, this location is the largest with the most inventory. The one that is right next to me has dedicated three rows just for Benefit and the whole front store is all Clinique. I'm not a fan of these brands so that is just all wasted space for me. My favorite location is an all in one stop shop! A lot of brands and variety.

As for spa services, I've been extrememly happy with the three facials from this particular location. Icing on the cake, I recently had to use a 50% spa coupon and it was the last day to use it. I had an appoinment for a facial at 2pm. On the way to the appointment, there was an accident on the off ramp and was stuck in traffic making me 30 minutes late to my appointment. I called the store and told them what happned and they said they were booked after me but to come down anyway and they would take care of me. They gave me one of their 20 minute facials which in the end, worked out for me since my day was already shot. The esthetician wasn't moody about my extreme tardiness even though she could tell how frazzled I was. She changed my mood to disgust and embarrassment to calming and content. She really made my day and the service was outstanding. She took the time to go over steps and even warned me of then things might tingle.

I'm a spa junkie. I've been known to get $200 facials. I'm also very critical of them. If I'm paying $200 for a facial, don't lean over me with your garlic breath and use cold fingers! I had one esthetician even sit in the room and chow on her lunch while I laid there with a mask on my face. Granted, there are down times in facials but at least go into a different room!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Oh-reading the reviews by MUA'ers are so funny, I just had to add my own! I thought it was just my own Ulta that was bad. When it first opened, the service was good (of course), the ladies were helpful, not too pushy, and samples were offered to customers. They even had SA's that knew the product lines. That was years ago it seems. How times have changed.
It seems we all have horror stories and I'll tell you my own. I wanted a haircut one day. I went in around dinnertime and was told they "don't take walk-ins". Ok. This was about 6 p.m. mind you, early enough in the day, since they don't close till 9 p.m., so the SA suggested I make an appointment. No one was sitting in a chair, there wasn't anyone waiting, and no one else had their hair done while I was in the store. I said I'd check my calendar and call back. When I called back from home, I was told they don't take anyone after 7 p.m., even though they don't close until 9 p.m. "well, because we don't. We have other things we have to do in the salon." I asked what about people that work during the day? They said "those people would have to take time off to come in because we're that good and people do come in early anyway". Oh really? I never did get my hair done at an Ulta. I guess my hair wasn't good enough for their scissors.
Next story. It was my birthday and Benefit advertises a free brow wax for your birthday at Ulta. Just come in on your birthday. So I did. Guess what? No Benefit SA available. So another SA tells me to come back another day and tell them that the Benefit girl wasn't there that day. So a few days later I come back again (I live 20 miles away, mind you), and again, the Benefit SA went home early (at 7 p.m.). So I inquire, so when exactly is this brow thing available for the working class? Am I supposed to run here right after work? The girl says "Well, IDK, she's never here at night." By the time I was able to reach the Benefit SA, I was told too much time had passed after my birthday and the offer wasn't available, but I could pay for one if I wanted. I never did get it done.
Next story. I was shopping foundations. No testers. I'm looking at PTR's foundations and would like to match a color. I'm standing there looking for a SA. Finally, one comes around and I ask if I can get a match. She walks away and comes back with fragrance paper swatch. She sticks it in one bottle and then hands it to me and walks away. There's my match. Like it or leave it, I guess. On a piece of paper, no less. Here's your color. I felt like it had been torn out of a magazine.
I had made a purchase of close to 200 dollars and asked for some samples to be put in the bag. The cashier told me they didn't have any. After I just dumped 200 bucks and they don't have one sample? The manager overheard the cashier and runs over and tells her she's wrong, they most certainly do. She tells me to wait, she will make a special sample package for me after the cashier just treated me so rudely. And she goes into the drawers behind the register where there are piles of samples. Obviously samples that they don't give out to the customers.
In all the time I've been shopping there, there has only been one nice SA who knew the products, gave out samples (knowing customers that tried and liked would come back and purchase), and was genuinely friendly. Lately, anyone that works there is rushed and isn't interested in helping anyone out. Perhaps Ulta needs to re-think their sales model.
Last story: I was looking around the store (always on my own, they no longer have any help) when I finally found an SA to inquire about a product in a particular line. I asked questions about a moisturizer in Philosophy. She really didn't have any answers for me, was hemming and hawing and looking every way but at me. Finally, she said, "Well, you could buy it and that would tell you your answers." Yep, it would. I could also drive across the street to Sephora where they could tell me about the product, sample it on me, give me a sample to go home with it if I so desired, too.
Ulta still sends me coupons sometimes and if I'm so inclined I'll go there just to find something cheap enough that I might need to use that coupon on. Otherwise, I won't go out of my way to step foot in that store anymore. It's just not a friendly feeling anymore. And it's becoming more of a Bargain Basement atmosphere, too.

I love my nearest Ulta -- never had any bad experiences with SAs or the overall store. The SAs never badger me or try to sell a product (which is almost always the case with Sephora); because of this reason alone I will continue shopping there. I absolutely DETEST when a sales associate won't leave me alone. I'm usually the type that knows what I want when I go in there or I just want to browse to check out all the new products or plan future purchases. If I need help I'll ask for it! Anyway, my particular store is always clean and well-organized. Prices could be better (high-end stuff is on par with Sephora, but drugstore tends to be slightly higher than, say, Walmart or CVS. However, they always have some sort of BOGO or deal, so that works out if you wanna stock up your favorites from a particular brand. I also love that they carry brands like NYX, which aren't readily available. All in all, a wonderful store -- truly a girl's playground!

I generally love going to Ulta because of their selection and deals with a loyalty card. I do agree though with the others--cleanliness and sanitation could be better, especially when it comes to the tester products. I don't really test out the products because of this and I tend to buy the same essentials time and time again so a test product isn't necessary (or the item is cheap enough for me to bypass the test altogether and just take a risk).

Customer service hasn't been a problem for me. The people at the store near me are friendly and will ask if I need any help finding something. I've never had an issue with getting their coupons/booklets in the mail.

on 8/2/2012 6:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

my ulta store is located in the Asheville Mall in North Carolina. I would like to say they have hired the best staff there. only one girl i really did not like. the ladies at the benefit and lancombe counters are simply terrific! the salespeople try very hard when i come thru with a question. The displays have usually in decent condition. but that is more of a customer issue. when i go in the mornings they look great, mid day on a weekend..not so much.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

wow, lol, so many negative comment about Ulta. Well mine is acutally postive. I live in the midwest, Illinois to be exact in a middle class burb about 40 minutes outside the city of Chicago, a very populated area, and I have to say the staff at my Ulta are so nice. They always greet me the store is alway is clean and it's actually the opposte of a lot of loactions they are always expanding with the lines they carry, the testers are always clean and they even carry the eye platte's from IMAN cosmetics which is a tried and true line for me. I don't usually ask for help, because I know either I like something or I don't. They carry NYX essence all the smaller brands, Lancome, perfumes, full range of hair products and skin care. They usually leave me alone unless I ask about something. I usually am prone to just asking an opnion, I have returned several products over the year and they have never given me a hard time! So sorry about the reviews I wonder if it's a geographic thing? They say people in the midwest are friendlier. Who knows.

Popular Other Products