ULTA Ulta- whole store

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
ULTA Ulta- whole store

3.1

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE Ulta! The stores I have been to are: the Green Valley location in Las Vegas, Nevada on Stephanie Street; the Silverado Ranch location on Eastern Blvd in Las Vegas, Nevada; the location in Waldorf in Maryland; and the location in White Marsh in Maryland. All of these locations have been clean and the employees, for the most part, helpful. There have been a couple employees in the Las Vegas locations that were snobby, unhelpful, and even ignored me. It was in the Stephanie location where a man passed by me and asked, "Do you need help with anything?" while walking past me. He didn't even LOOK at me or pause, he just continued walking. I said, "Yes, please. I have a question..." and he continued walking past me. I walked in his direction and said, "Excuse me?..." and he turned around, looked at me with a confused expression, and then continued walking away and went in the back of the store. That was incredibly rude. It literally seemed like he was just asking to ask because that's what employees are expected to do and was disturbed that I had the gall to actually request his presence.

It seems that different locations carry different products. If you're looking for something in particular, I suggest calling the store you're going to before you go in to ask if they have that specific product in the specific shade you need available. I have done this and most employees are kind enough to get the product and hold it up front for me so I can come in later that day to pick it up. I have gone to Ulta countless times to get something in particular and found they don't have it all or don't have it in stock. It just is what it is. Perhaps you can call and ask the location nearest to you to order something if they don't have it. I don't recall doing this yet, so I don't know how that will work out.

The main reasons I love this store are because of the coupons. You can get a free membership card to use online and in store. With this card they usually send you a monthly or bi-weekly catalog with new products, on sale products, and a $3.50 off coupon for purchases over $10 before tax. Yes, it includes sale and clearance items! I don't think it applies for certain products though, so read the fine print. I've never purchased a product yet that it didn't apply to. However, I downloaded the app Shopular on my iphone which gives me coupons to the stores I walk into. I can use the same $3.50 off coupon inside the app with the barcode I receive as many times as I want instead of using one coupon every catalog I receive. This is much more efficient. For example, over the weekend I went in and purchased a self-tanner that was $13. I got it for $9.50. Later on I went back in and bought quite a few clearance and on sale items that were originally $10.50 altogether and only paid $7. I am planning on going back this week to purchase a foundation that is $12 and I'll only pay $8.50. So you can see how having a free membership and using the coupons can really be economical.

Plus, at the end of the year in December, depending on how many products you purchased during the calendar year and how much money you spent, they send you free things and take additional money off of purchases. Great when buying Christmas gifts from there.

Lastly, the reason I love Ulta is because they finally have started carrying my favorite self-tanner, St. Moriz (the St. Tropez knock off). Formerly this product was only available in Europe because it is manufactured in England. The only way to get it was by buying it online through places like Amazon, which could lead you to end up with tampered, false, or watered down products. Now that Ulta has it I can purchase it from an American retailer any time I need to and I know it's authentic and safe.

on 2/6/2015 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Edit: I totally hear what you guys are saying. I have issues with them too. Sometimes I feel like we're a tight-knit family where the siblings get along but we don't like our parents. LOL. I've actually had to edit this post since I wrote it because the policies changed. I still really like most of the staff, and the store, but corporate needs to fix a lot of shit.

I work(ed) at a high-grossing Ulta and I have to say my experience is very different. (AND I only work there because I LOVED SHOPPING at the store!! And my reviews not deleted, but I think I make good points so hear me out.)

It's not perfect, we could each do with thousands more hours to make the store better, but it doesn't exist in the budget for the stores. Could they do it in theory? Probably, which is what sucks. But that's retail. But everyone who works in my store is so nice and friendly and educated. We do know a lot about products but some requests are ridiculous. 'No, I haven't tried every single type of hair gel for YOUR hair type, I don't even use gel.' It's frustrating when you try to learn about as many products as possible but the customers want a million details that you can't offer. And new products come out constantly.

The return policy has changed since I've been there and that frustrates me too. As long as it's on their account, we can look it up. However the store associate should be nice about it. At least they were when I was there. As a matter of fact the store employees are still really nice when I go in and shop (even at different stores) but again the problem is corporate and the rules they make. As far as internet returns, the slip that comes in the box does not say the price paid for the items, that's why we need the email confirmation to show the price paid, or people return for more than they paid. This is another thing that corporate should change so that the bar code could be scanned and pull up the price paid, since there are coupons and sales all the time. It wouldn't be fair to return an item at full price if full price wasn't what was paid. It's not about disagreeing, it's just how it works. YES I agree it could be better, and they should show the price paid on the packing slip, but until then, it's only fair to show and receive the same amount of money back.

Also, the customers are pretty bad at times. We try to never assume people are stealing unless it's seen, but we find so many empty boxes and used products - it upsets us too. Nyx started having testers and started shrink wrapping lipsticks, so less people use them. I think that's great. As a customer, I also hate it when people open all the products!!! Remember, I shop here too!!

As far as "find in store", I agree. You can actually search some prestige items to see if your local store has it. If it's not an option online, call and ask. If we don't get back to your right away, it's because the calls go up to the register and as you know, the cashiers are usually extremely busy with a line, but they do get someone to look for the product for you. I've had people complain that I can't find a simple product on BLACK FRIDAY on the phone, even though I left to check a few times and it was busy as hell. Give a little credit to the other side, people aren't lazy, they're probably just very busy, or new.

As far as truck, we have NO control over what comes, it's from the warehouse, we just put it out and hope the right products come. And it's a lot. Often we do get most things in they just sell fast or the company doesn't want to release lot (like the Wicked or Macarron, those were limited edition). We come in at 5am to unload truck and 6am the days we don't get truck to finish putting it out. Because guess what? If we do it when the store is open, we don't get far because people always ask us for help, which is understandable, but this is why we have to get most of it done during off-hours. Personally, I love it. I love making the store nice and neat. Stocking doesn't make me feel low class, I take pride in it.

If you learn what the coupons are eligible for, it's really easy. (Hint: It's only drugstore brands, the large post card coupons that come out a few times a year are for (most) Prestige brands, but the flyer ones never are.) I like the points system overall, and I like that now will refund the points that you used if you return an item. The gifts with purchase change so often, you sometimes have to remind the staff. Sometimes we forget or run out. It happens.

I liked shopping here before I worked at one of the stores. The sales and coupons are awesome. I always get such great deals. It doesn't pay a lot as a job, the hours aren't enough and we could always use more help to get the store clean and organized, but I think over all it's a place I would continue to shop at, working there or not.

UPDATE: We since had gotten new management at my store and it improved SO MUCH. We had more hours for truck and stocking and organizing and they were much better with customer service. I then moved and after a few months decided to work at the one in my new location. I liked the job and knew what I was doing and wanted the discount back lol. This one is super clean and neat, the staff is amazing. They were even more intensive in training and guidelines which I found helpful. I've been to so many Ulta's from even before working for them (from NY to CA!) and the biggest complaint I had as a customer was some were messy, had long lines and were understaffed. Sometimes products I wanted were out, but would come back in on stock days. But stores some are pristine, the staff is warm and welcoming and I love the selection overall.

I actually really did like working for them because I loved my coworkers but there are things that frustrate me and it's definitely upper management things. So bothers me when the employees get a lot of flack when really it's not them that's causing it most of the time.

on 2/6/2015 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I don't like Ulta's customer service. Not much help offered, plus if you need to return anything, you're made to feel like you're robbing them or something. A few times, the cashier even forgot to give me the free gift with purchase I am entitled to. I never shop at Ulta, unless absolutely necessary!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This review is for the online service. I am disappointed in Ulta. I made two makeup orders last week, one from Ulta & one from Sephora. I felt that everything about my Sephora order was superior. The products from Ulta were all put into the same little plastic bag that was tied on top and placed in the shipping box. There was no protective wrapping, like bubble wrap. In the past I have ordered shampoo & conditioner that had broken caps because all they did was tape the caps down instead of protecting them. Then for the free samples, I hate the way they don't give you much choice, and send you things you don't want. It isn't an exciting bonus to get three free samples that go straight into the trash. You get to choose from categories like skincare, cosmetics, or perfume, and then they select the samples in that category. I chose perfume, because I buy a lot of perfume & it's great to find what's new out there. I received the new Lady Gaga perfume, which isn't a bad thing to receive, just not anything I'm interested in; something awful that smelled like rubbing alcohol and urine from Jessica McClintock, which I would never consider selecting; and a men's cologne.... why? Just a terrible selection on their part. From Sephora I got to choose my own 3 free perfumes samples and I love all of them, plus they threw in a bonus hair product sample, plus I got to include a free sample of a Murad retinol product from their bonus page, and I could have used my beauty points to get one or two other products, but I decided to let them accumulate for a bigger prize since they never expire, unlike Ulta which expires in a year, so you have to pick whatever they have available even if you aren't excited about it. Lastly, I ordered from both stores on the same day and got my Sephora package 3 days sooner. I like that Ulta has sales like buy one get one 50% off of NYX, but I'll never order another full priced product from them again. I will always go to Sephora first.

on 5/12/2013 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

If Ulta weren't the only place around that carried LORAC and Mario Badescu, I would never go in this store.

It's bright and clean and nicely organized but most of the stuff is a pile of junk. And don't get me started on SAs who don't understand the meaning of the word "sensitive skin." Maybe I'm being sensitive but when I say I have rosacea, any SA working in a skincare store should know that they shouldn't push glycolic acid products on me.

The prospect of salon hair car products was intriguing until I discovered that they don't sell the two brands I use -- L'Oreal Professionel and Kerastase.

on 2/15/2013 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

There are two Ultas where I live; one gets a five-star and one gets ONE star. Guess which one is closest to my house? Yes, the one that is the most hideous. I go out of my way (and almost 20 miles) to go to the GOOD Ulta store. It's staffed by very young but very NICE gals who let me shop, don't ride my a$$, and are nothing but great every time I go in.

I have had an ongoing issue with the manager of the closer store. She is short, and has thin hair plastered to her skull in blonde, black, and pink tones. I only give this description in case she frequents the MUA boards and might perhaps recognize herself here. I can only pray.
Whenever I go into the "bad Ulta", this manager treats me like a shoplifter with a communicable disease. My first experience with her, I had to return an online order and she treated it as a return with no receipt and tried to force me to take store credit; um, no thanks. Open your eyes and read the papers in front of you! Halfway through our transaction she took a personal phone call and left another employee to 'finish it up'. That poor girl messed the entire transaction up and I had to wait for Hello Kitty Hair to drop her personal phone call. Several times I have been fruitlessly searching for something, and had to find someone to help---and there was HKH, putting on makeup directly from the high-end makeup testers! Dipping the brushes back into the testers, putting on her face, back in the testers: I was so grossed out. She did not even wash the brushes when she put them back on the end of the counter! She looked up to see me watching her and got a really snotty, snobby tone in her voice when she asked me if I was finding everything (as she kind of looked me up and down as she always does).

I once went in to see if I could find some curl styling cream, praying that she not be the one to accost---er, help--me. Sure enough she ignored me while I cruised the cheap side of the store (Cover Girl, Revlon) but as soon as I hit the Pureology section, she was on me like flies on poop. As she walked toward me hurriedly to ask me if I needed help (eyeing my hands and purse as she did so) I told her what I was searching for, knowing she would be clueless since her hair is so thin and straight. Mine is thick and curly and dry and looked a mess that day due to some crazy wind, I hoped that the state of it would show someone what I needed. Miss Kitty started leading me all over the hair care area, showing me stuff that would work on HER hair. I told her several times, I need some curly hair styling cream--she wasn't listening. So I found the Deva Curl area and she cooed, "Oh they have great shampoo!" But I'm looking for a styling cream. "Oh they have great hair gel!" But---I need a styling cream. As I found the bottle of cream MYSELF, she chirped, "Oh that's great styling cream!" YOU THINK??? Then---she said--"I have thick curly hair myself, that's great stuff!" I told her, I will get this and hope that it works. She said--brace yourself---"Well it can't look any worse!"
Really? I can see your SCALP, your hair is so thin and fine!! Maybe she is trying to 'relate' but I almost fell over when she said this to me. It took all I had not to react.
She also offered to carry the cream to the front for me--when has anyone at Ulta tried to 'babysit' what you picked up so that you don't shoplift it? This isn't the jewelry counter at Wal-mart! I'm probably old enough to be this twit's mother and she acts like I'm some kind of felon. (I have redeemed SEVERAL 1000 point rewards, obviously spending quite a bit of money in there)
Maybe all the times I've filled out surveys and specifically mentioned this woman's behavior, she's figured out that I tattle on her and she's annoyed? She never has a name badge on so I don't know what her name is, and I truly don't want to ask her because her entire demeanor is such that it seems like her lip is curling as she talks to me. I am not a confrontational person but I finally hit my saturation point with her and started talking to her like Mrs. Thurston Howell III when she approaches me. (Then I find someone else to help me if I need it) If she seems to be hovering while I browse, I no longer pay any attention to her. If she's watching me, she's not talking on the phone or putting on makeup from the testers and contaminating them.

Sigh.

on 3/30/2012 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like the Ulta that I go to. It's about an hour and a half drive from where I live. They have some products that Sephora doesn't have, but I would choose Sephora over Ulta any day IMO. I like that Ulta has drugstore brands also so you can shop for those items while looking at some HE. Also like when they have sales going on especially online. I would shop here again but only for items that Sephora doesn't have.

on 2/16/2012 9:21:00 PM

This review is for Ulta.com. so my ratings for product doesn't apply except the overall rating. I have never been to an Ulta store; there aren't any in my state, and up until a few weeks ago I hadn't ever heard of them. The three times I have wanted to shop specials, the products were out of stock. This last time I wanted to get some of the NYX shadows on sale and they are all out of stock!! However, the same items that I wanted to buy from the last ad are there now that the sale is over. That is pretty cheeky (I have another word for it actually). This gives me a pretty good idea of how this company does business and it's not going to get any of mine.

Gosh, what happened to my Ulta? I have always had a great experience with the SA's although I agree that sometimes there is too much interuption which causes me to completely lose my train of thought and inevitably I forget something. Their loss. But, overall, I have had positive experiences. I have also had great success with their blushes and eyeshadows.

Now, for my "issues" with Ulta. I recently noticed that they no longer have testers for the drugstore brands. Except Ulta's. According to the SA, the cosmetic companies (Revlon, NYX, etc.) no longer want to provide testers which I find difficult to believe since the testers can't possibly break their fat wallets. I never buy perfume at Ulta becuase they don't give samples like Sephora and since I try to be a fair customer I always purchase perfume at Sephora. Soooo, now I have absolutely no reason to go to Ulta. Honestly, even when they did have testers, half of them were missing or products were not fully stocked as others have pointed out. I can't help but wonder if Ulta decided to remove other testers in hopes of steering customers to their brand. Sell a bunch of brands until your brand is doing okay and then stifle the competition since they are at your mercy in your store. Crappy. In addition, they never have proper testing supplies available such as q-tips, tissues, etc or anywhere to toss garbage. Crappy and unhygenic. I actually had a SA pull the display brush to test a foundation on my face, a brush that had been fondled and sneezed on and goodness knows what. Finally, they don't give samples of cosmetics like Sephora does. To be fair, I have never had a problem returning anything but I don't at Sephora or Dillard's either. I regularly exercise my right to return even though it is a pain and I absolutely do not shop anywhere where returns are not accepted with no problem.

on 4/27/2011 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Wow. After reading all of the comments about the Ulta experience in general, I really had to chime in. I want to preface this by saying that this is only MY opinion based on my needs and preferences--I know that there are a lot of you out there that love this store and have no problem giving them your business. Unfortunately, I am not one of them.

I live in Central NJ and live about 25 miles away from the nearest Sephora, so I rarely get an opportunity to shop there. When I found out an Ulta was opening up in the Princeton area I was thrilled as my impression at the time was that Ulta was basically a clone of the Sephora shopping experience. I quickly learned that it wasn't after experiencing the following:

1. I've never had a problem with a SA being rude, but boy are they persistent. During one store visit they interrupted me three times in 15 minutes, and it got to the point where I had to keep out of the common areas of the store to be left alone. Ironically enough, when I wandered into the "prestige" skin care section, a sales rep from one of the skin care lines was there doing some kind of product promotion. When she looked up and saw me (let's just say I wasn't looking too photogenic that day) I could see in her eyes that apparently I wasn't the right "demographic" for the product and and I was ignored. So much for wanting to "help" me.
2. Speaking of "prestige," when I made my first couple of purchases at Ulta I requested samples and they were given to me. The next time I asked for a sample I was told that I was only entitled to them if I purchased a "prestige" brand. That's a little freakin' ridiculous. Sephora has always given me samples regardless of the brand I've purchased, and I can name examples of other stores as well. Ulta needs to get off their high horse with their whole "prestige" attitude when it comes to makeup assistance, coupons, samples, etc. because frankly, I can probably get the same "prestige" product at a much better price at an online retailer, eBay, or a brick-and-mortar store. Get a clue, Ulta: asking for samples is not a big deal, I'm not saying I should just walk in off the street and ask for them without buying something, but if you had given me a sample that day, perhaps I would have come in and bought the product during a later visit. Gee, isn't that what samples are for, to generate more purchases? And then perhaps more customers will interested in purchasing more of those "prestige" brands that you have such an attitude about. Everyone wins! (Pardon my snark.)
3. Here's another clue, Ulta: when you mark an item as "clearance" and throw it into a bin with a whole bunch of other stuff that may be cracked, smeared, or leaky, it truly needs to be a "clearance" level price. Please walk the few steps over to Walmart or Target to learn what a realistic idea of a "clearance" price means, because yours isn't it.
4. Speaking of the above, plus CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid, etc., as many of you have already mentioned, if you wear drugstore makeup you'll pay much less at those types of stores, and the discount stores have great sales and coupons also. Some drugstores even have no-questions-asked return policies on makeup now, even if you've tested it. Same goes for the bath/body/personal care products--Burt's Bees, Bodycology, Watkins, Badger, etc., all can be found cheaper elsewhere.
5. I had a brow wax at the Ulta salon that had me bent back over a shampoo sink, then after the wax was removed, there was just a little tweezing here and there, no shaping or trimming. Thankfully I had a half-off coupon for this because this service normally costs a whopping $20. Granted, the stylist did a great job and was extremely professional, but in my neck of the woods $20 gets you a brow wax done in a private room on a TABLE, with tweezing and shaping. I certainly wasn't expecting a day spa experience, but if I want to be bent over a shampoo sink to get waxed I can go to a nail salon and pay $8.

I can see why someone would want to shop here if they truly enjoy the convenience of having so many varied brands and price points of beauty items in one store, or if they have an "I-want-this-NOW!" item (like Urban Decay's Naked) that they don't want to wait to order online. (No disrespect meant--I've been there! :) ) Otherwise, I just can't fathom any reason to shop there. Let's face it, we all the know the markup on beauty products and I would rather spend money with a company that values my business and gives me a pleasant, uncomplicated shopping experience. In my opinion, Ulta doesn't provide it, which is why I take my business elsewhere.

EDIT: I recently went back to Ulta (a coupon lured me in) and I'm pleased to say that the overalll vibe of my local store has improved. I had a much more pleasant shopping experience and I was even able to find a few goodies in the clearance bin! I still prefer Sephora but I'm glad that Ulta & I are on better terms now :)

Popular Other Products