ULTA Ulta- whole store

ULTA Ulta- whole store

2.6

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Ulta stores are NOT created equal. I think with this store it all comes down to the staff. I have three Ulta's within a 10-30 minute rage from me. One of those stores is the next town over and I ONLY go to that one in a pinch or tight on time. The SA's are usually miserable and lack motivation. I know this isn't an exciting job at NASA but some enthusiasm would be greatly appreciated and customers will want to spend money! For spa services or I want to do a haul or take my time, I have to drive to the 30 minute location. Of course, the furthest one is the best one. So, I give this particular furthest store five stars. The sales associates are always eager to help and will go check to see when things will be back in stock. They will, get this, tell you if you have points you can use without you even asking! Also, this location is the largest with the most inventory. The one that is right next to me has dedicated three rows just for Benefit and the whole front store is all Clinique. I'm not a fan of these brands so that is just all wasted space for me. My favorite location is an all in one stop shop! A lot of brands and variety.

As for spa services, I've been extrememly happy with the three facials from this particular location. Icing on the cake, I recently had to use a 50% spa coupon and it was the last day to use it. I had an appoinment for a facial at 2pm. On the way to the appointment, there was an accident on the off ramp and was stuck in traffic making me 30 minutes late to my appointment. I called the store and told them what happned and they said they were booked after me but to come down anyway and they would take care of me. They gave me one of their 20 minute facials which in the end, worked out for me since my day was already shot. The esthetician wasn't moody about my extreme tardiness even though she could tell how frazzled I was. She changed my mood to disgust and embarrassment to calming and content. She really made my day and the service was outstanding. She took the time to go over steps and even warned me of then things might tingle.

I'm a spa junkie. I've been known to get $200 facials. I'm also very critical of them. If I'm paying $200 for a facial, don't lean over me with your garlic breath and use cold fingers! I had one esthetician even sit in the room and chow on her lunch while I laid there with a mask on my face. Granted, there are down times in facials but at least go into a different room!

on 12/15/2013 3:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

EVERY time I go into Ulta for something, they are out of stock. And I mean EVERY time. It doesn't matter what it is, they are out. How is it possible that the store is full of so much stuff but are ALWAYS out of what I need? Sometimes I have to go in 3 or 4 times before I find what I'm looking for. An employee said to me the other day, "geez, you're always in here." That's because I have I come in a zillion times before I find what I'm looking for. I'm a medium skin tone, and the medium shade of everything in the store is perpetually out of stock. if medium is the most common shade, just stock a few more mediums. sheesh! The only reason I keep going is it is close to my house otherwise I wouldn't bother. If they actually had better stock, and if the salespeople had better knowledge of the products, it would be fabulous. Such a shame.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

The Ulta SA are so rude to me. I asked one of the girls if I could try a sample of a primer that I clearly saw a box of small samples of behind the counter and she said no we don't have any. Always rude service. Never anyone to help.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

So...I used to go to Ulta to get Iman Cosmetics. But, I haven't worn Iman for years, so I usually just go to Ulta to get Real Techniques brushes. At Ulta, they're usually Buy One get One 50% Off, which I like.

However, on my last visit, I asked for a sample of the new Urban Decay Naked foundation, and I was told that "they don't do that." I was told by the sales associate that she could color match me and I could purchase the product, and I could return it if I didn't like it.

Now, I have no qualms about returning a product that does not satisfy me. But, making the return without having the opportunity to sample the product seems incredibly wasteful to me. Almost backwards.

I hardly ever make a foundation purchase, without trying the foundation for like 2 days. I mean, foundation goes on my face, the first thing people see on me. I need to make sure the color looks right, it doesn't oxidize, that it wears well...Ulta needs to get with it. Honestly, I don't really know how they compete with Sephora and with these "mini cosmetic store pop-ups) that Macys and JC Penny has.

on 10/9/2008 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The only things that keep me coming back to Ulta are selection and the occasional BOGO. If L'Oreal makes 12 different pigment colors, Ulta has them all, and sometimes a BOGO at that. They have 7 or 8 varieties of the Montagne Jeunesse masks-- those $1.79 packets that look so cheap but work so well but are so hard to find. Sephora may be out of stock on BE shadows, but Ulta will have them, and they're just across the street. The problem is that selection is the only thing this company has going for it.

As far as coupon/sale restrictions, blaming customers for a lack of understanding just doesn't cut it, and frankly, it's insulting. You won't win customers over by blaming all your problems on them. The restrictions are the same ones on every department store promo/coupon/offer everywhere:

*NOT GOOD ON THE GOOD STUFF, but we're not going to give you a straight answer on what the good stuff is so that you'll come in thinking you're going to get a tiny break on something decent. When you get in the store, we'll tell you that pretty much anything you really want is off limits. Because you don't want to think you wasted your gas, or let people know you were snookered by another vague coupon, you'll pick up a lot of cheap, useless junk that you'll just throw away anyhow.*

With their recent Ulta bucks promotion, you couldn't even use those on the bad stuff-- red ticket clearance was off limits! It's just amazing that they would rather keep their shelves clogged with stuff that doesn't sell than let people buy it with a couple of miserable $5 coupons-- oops, that might generate customer good will, and we can't have that! Not to mention that they could be using that shelf space for something that sells. BTW, if there's no discounting on prestige cosmetics, why do I find them in the clearance section all the time in the first place? Are you trying to discombobulate my pretty little female mind? Because it's not working. I actually asked a SA to clarify the restrictions on the U bucks when I was there yesterday, just to see what would happen. She said I could use them on red ticket clearance even though the bucks clearly stated that you couldn't. So why should you expect customers to understand these coupons when even your employees don't?

I understand cosmetic companies engage in price fixing, and that Ulta may be in a bind with the coupons. The problem is I JUST DON'T CARE. If the coupons confuse people, if people don't like them, that's Ulta's problem, not mine. Find a promotion that people can get excited about. Don't keep shoving the same junk down my throat telling me how generous you are and how stupid and ungrateful I am. The rewards program is just useless and does not make me want to buy more. The reward coupons expire before I can use them, and the free items are so cheap and junky that they're only a slap in the face to anyone who may have spent enough money to get them in the first place. A travel size pack of brand X Q-Tips as a reward for $200 worth of business is insulting.

There are different SAs in there every time I go in. There is one stylist in the salon I've seen more than once, but I refuse to put my hair in the hands of people who are treated
like crap. I don't want an unhappy, resentful person anywhere near my head with chemicals and scissors. Also, not that I would ever let one of them do my makeup either in such nasty moods, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't feel like I was obligated to purchase anything. If it isn't really free it shouldn't be advertised as free, and I don't see what the big deal is about not helping other customers while you're doing someone's makeup-- it's not like they'd be helping customers under any other circumstance. The prime directive at Ulta is to patronize and annoy.

Rickisyed's 06/18/07 review says a lot about how this company treats its people and for how the SAs act as a result. I'm treated as persona non grata, or worse, a shoplifter. Yesterday I had an item that had been mistagged, and I was all but accused of having switched the tags on the item, even though the rest of the items had identical tags on them-- and it was OBVIOUS that the tags had been applied directly from a pricing gun. They were loud and nasty about it, and as someone on the autism spectrum, it is very hard for me to stand up for myself in a real time situation. I am still very upset about this-- crying upset. I will go back for the mask packets because I can't find them anywhere else, but as soon as I find another source I'm done.

I am sick of being treated like a substandard human and a criminal. Sephora may not have drugstore brands, but they are always good to me in there and they don't try to buy me off with cheap, meaningless promos after stripping me of my dignity. What's sad is that Ulta could have been a really good store. I honestly loved going in there the first time because there was so much stuff... but it just costs too much.

on 6/18/2007 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

I have a love hate relationship with ulta. While its a great store that carries the regular and deparment store name brands, offers coupons, and the greatest rewards program (I got a bottle of perfume for having 6 points). I couldnt agree more that its a great store. I do have to tell you the truth behind ulta. After 4 years of my observation I'm going to have to tell you this: They treat their employee like total total crap. I dont want to support a company that doesnt value their employees. My bestfriend used to work there, and she was depressed majority of the time, because that company is not flexible at all. The managers are always getting the run around on their crucitating systems, coupons always have fine print, they dont take anything back without a receipt and customers are angry, a real retail hell hole behind the scene. An employee is constantly walking on eye shells. During the meetings they are told that most theft is done by employees so they carry a clear bag aka all employees are theives, and if an employee wants to get a salon service, they can get bumped from their appt time because they are employees, and if they come on their off day to shop, they are search before they leave ulta. After working for 4 years, my friend got 14cent raise. The average payroll for a cashier is $8.00 and the average cost of a manager is $10-12 with alot of responsibility without the compensation. The head manager gets $30000. I understand its really normal to get that amount in mid size retail company, bottom line is they dont treat their employees right with constant reminder that they could be fired for anything pity. The employee turnover rate is very high. Overall, its a nifty store that carries variety of things, and a great place to go to during christmas time or wedding season, their Ulta brand makeup is high quality, and point rewards systems is worth checking out but be sure that if you get bad customer service, or low morale, employees are product of their environment, they are really shitty pity and rude beyond believe, thats because its just the way they get treated by management. EDIT: BAD BAD BAD store to shop, Ulta has gotten worse since I wrote my last review, the associates are offensive, and rude, and do not help, and I bet they are still treated badly; Its bet its still like slave work for $8/hr. I went there recently, and the manager was at the cash register and I swear she was DRUNK, literally wasted, when she was talking to her employees. Yikes!

on 12/18/2006 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I LOVE ULTA! I love the fact that you can buy high end & drugstore products in the same place. They also carry brands that you can't get anywhere else like Archipelago Botanicals and Japonesque. Ulta is the only place where I can find Archipelago Botanicals candles in my area. They have awesome discounts! I bought a $18 Primal Elements candle for $6.50. Sometimes I go in there and I come out with a huge bag for half the price. I'm always astonished at how much I save! Their customer service can't be beat! Returns are super easy. ULTA IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE STORE! Everyone needs to go to one Ulta store if they are in the area of one since I know they're limited. Ulta has a club card program where if you spend a certain amount of money, you get to pick your free gifts, which is really cool.

Popular Other Products