ULTA Ulta- whole store

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
ULTA Ulta- whole store

3.5

on 3/24/2017 9:15:00 AM

Didn't realize we could rate entire stores. Ulta would get a solid 2.5 for me...

Here's the thing. People are more and more beginning to favor ulta, especially over sephora as the sephora perks suck and when they are nice they go OOS insanely quickly (I agree). Ulta perks result in cash... Which is always good. Also Ulta is slowly but surely beginning to carry more brands.

I have been spending a good part of 2 years trying to force myself to favor ulta more. Also I am soon moving to a place with no sephora and ulta being the only game in town. I am not a happy camper :/

So ulta to me is mediocre at best. Itemized reason why they continue to irritate me :
No 1 is the biggest and rest in no particular order

1- they can't keep sh*t in stock. My most recent pet peeve was the 21 day sale where all I wanted the whole 21 days was a buxom lip cream. OOS before 8am??! Are you serious? People on fb slammed them with complaints and everyone received the same annoying generic response. Not even an attempt to make it right. This isn't sour grapes bc ulta is forever not having in stock the one thing I need. It seems to happen almost every last time. Whether it's my lotion I use (soap and glory), razor heads, body wash, lipstick. It doesn't matter. More than half the time when I arrive there they don't have the onnnne item I went in there for. Without fail
(Doubly annoying bc in the end I wind up having to go to sephora or whichever other store instead anyway)

2- you have to activate their rewards. If you're not diligently opening every last ulta email. You will miss the days the stack rewards. Honestly if I am entitled to a reward benefit bc of my membership status-- then just activate it on your end. Why do I have to stalk your emails? I consistently miss these

3- cashiers never inform you or seem to be aware when things are gratis. When I redeemed my birthday coupon I was supposedly also entitled to a UD eyeshadow last year. No one told me. I had no idea.. This always happens. A few months back they were giving away mini Becca opal highlights. Went in and the SA insisted they didn't have them and had no idea what I was talking about. As did the manager. Finally they LOOKED. Lo and behold a large box of Becca opal highlighters in their possession to hand out. Why is it so hard to give free highlighters to customers that you were sent gratis to do such?

4- the coupons suck. Im not mad that they are only for drugstore items. But when it's $3 off $15 and they price their drugstore stuff $2-$3 more than the actual drugstore they certainly are not fooling me.

5- rewards expire every 3 mos. It is incredibly difficult for me to spend any amount of money there over 3 mos. I guess it'd be easy if you use the brow service and salon, but just buying items I can only spend so much there. Especially when they are consistently out of stock of the item I came in for.

6- zero control over their inventory. Lotions regularly have giant fingerprints in them. My gwen stefani palette was swatched blatantly. I had to go back and exhange it. Of course this speaks lower of the customers than the staff but seriously. When sephora carried soap and glory I didn't have to open 4 of them to find one that didn't have finger smudges up in it.

Maybe ultas vary greatly by location. But I live by 3 in central jersey, there's a Staten Island one also guilty of the same nonsense. And the website doesn't seem much different-- also always has what I want OOS. So hopefully the one im moving by now is way better.

Otherwise I'll be ordering from sephora A TON online

on 7/12/2015 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

The good:
-carries drugstore products (plus NYX, which can be hard to find)
-provides far more coupons and discount opportunities than Sephora does
-more down-to-earth staff compared to Sephora

The bad:
-never seems to be well-stocked
-SA's not particularly knowledgeable
-drugstore products more expensive at Ulta for some reason
-testers are always disgusting or broken
-online orders take an eternity to arrive

My most consistent problem with Ulta stores is lack of stock. I rarely have this problem with Sephora. However, Sephora stores always seem to be loud and cramped, and while their staff are more knowledgeable, I can be pestered by 3 or 4 different SA's in a single visit to Sephora whereas I find Ulta SA's will usually give me some space until I ask for help. Ulta also has a better rewards system and more opportunities for discounts. Truthfully, though, if it weren't for Ulta's more comfortable atmosphere, their sales/rewards, and the NYX products, I would probably never go.

The Ulta closest to me is well stocked and clean. The problem is the company policies overall. I LOVE the return policy but some of the prices for drugstore makeup is SO much more expensive than other places. Like the Revlon just bitten lip crayon in $6.75 at Walmart but its 9.99 at ulta. What?? The only reason I go is because its a dedicated makeup store and i really only shop drugstore, occasionally mac, because thats what I can afford. If i buy a lot at once, it would be $90 at ulta and like $80 at walmart.

on 1/15/2015 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have a huge love hate (more hate) relationship with this store. While online is fantastic, in store... not so much. The last time I was there, I felt like I was followed the whole time. I work retail, so I get it -- to an extent. Beauty at our store is a huge theft problem. Other times, I stand up front wondering where the heck their employees are. I really hate that. I have walked out of stores for that reason. Usually, the associates are super friendly at the store I go to. I usually don't have huge problems with customer service.

My major problem is their -severe lack- of in store stock. I hate driving all the way out there for them to not have 90% of what I'm looking for. Their drugstore section is heavily shopped. A "find in store" option on their website would be amazing. ULTA, in store, is usually my last resort for purchasing something I need ASAP. The Wal-Mart across the street from my job is stocked 1000% better, sadly.

I LOVE that most of their products have testers (I seriously appreciate this. Most drugstores do not have these!) but that does not stop most of their customers from opening the products anyways. Most of the time, one of the products I am looking for only have ONE left, and it's always open! This is why I'm a huge online shopper.

My store can be really slow at getting new arrivals too. A new line or product that the community has been talking about for months can take months to land. We are in a pretty prominent city. I just don't get it. They seem to have been getting better about this on my last visit. I also wish they had better drugstore selection, in general.

I love the concept of the store. I hate fighting traffic in other big stores when I just want to look at beauty items. They need to keep their stores stocked better.Their sales are pretty awesome. They ALWAYS have a coupon floating around as well.

by far the best store i have ever been to. i love ulta

on 10/27/2013 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

The closest Ulta to my house is a 2 hr train ride away. I don't shop there often. I like how I can find high-end and drug store cosmetics in the same place. The sales associates aren't eager to help if you can't find something. I was looking all over the store for a facial brush but couldn't find it and no one come up to me to offer help. The cashier was super nice. My Google coupon wouldn't load on my phone but she asked me which coupon it was and gave me the discount. I don't know big the other Ulta stores are, but I feel the one in Queens is not that big. It is the same size as an average Sephora. But since Ulta carries both high end and low end stuff and Sephora only has high end, I was expecting the store to be twice the size of Sephora. If they would open a store closer to me I would shop there more often. 2 hr train ride is too long.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

While many reviewers on this site tell true horror stories of mean and nasty SA's whose looks could kill, I've had a rather different experience with my Ulta.
To begin, the SA's there are fantastic! There are some truly spectacular ones who go out of their way for customers. I was once on a desperate hunt for a specific NYX product, so the manager called another Ulta farther away, found out they had one left, and drove over to get it for me. That is service. The worst SA experience so far has been ones that are only average. I haven't the slightest idea what their training program is like, but they rock it.
But this is where my love for Ulta ends. I shop there for two main reasons; sales, and because they are the ONLY store within a 15 minutes distance that sells NYX and Essence. NYX happens to be one of my all-time favorite makeup brands, and Essence has some old standbys of mine. I love browsing around, but those two displays frequently look like a tornado passed through them. Customers test whatever whenever, despite signs asking them not to, and more than once I've had to exchange these products when I brought them home and discovered they had been tested. The displays are also frequently messy and not too well cared for. To solve this, I'll call ahead of time to see when the next shipment is due, so I can get my hands on my favorite products, and hopefully it'll be stocked to the point where if an item has been tested, it wont be the only one in stock.
I really wish Ulta would take care of this testing issue. While they have marked a few items as testers (like foundation and primers) other items like eye shadow are pretty much anybody's game.
Overall, I do love my Ulta. Where else can you get drugstore and department in the same location? I'm not sure, but I'll continue to shop there...just using more caution than should be necessary.

on 12/26/2012 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I like Ulta...I do. And I still go there, and will continue to go there mainly because of the wide selection of brands they carry and their cheap Stila travel palettes with the adorable designs on them. They carry Esscence, whose lipglosses I'm obsessed with, and NYX, whose Soft Matte Lip Creams and other lip products I adore. They also have a wide range of other brands that I like all in one place, and their mix of drugstore and high end cosmetics make it easy to get everything I want in one place. Now, this is about where the good things end. Ulta is insanely expensive! I know it may not look like it, but they are. Compared to Target, their Revlon Super Lustorous lipsticks are two dollars more. That might not seem like a lot, but those lipsticks are some of my favorites. I have around five of them, so I'd be paying ten dollars more for all of them at Ulta than at Target, and with that ten dollars, I could buy two more of those lipsticks at target. Before I shop at Uta, I check prices on the products I'll be buying so I won't get ripped off. Like others have said, they're very vague on their free gifts with pruchase. I've ordered online from Sephora before, and they've given me free samples I didn't know I'd be recieving, along with the promised free gifts. Also, at Sephora, the sales assistants are always very helpful and happy. They rarely look like they don't want to be there. At Ulta the other day, I was looking for my Exuviance concealer (I was in a new city and the Ulta was set up completely differently), and asked a SA for help. After aimlessly following her around, she called the manager and asked, who only told her what I had told her, that it was with Exuviance. After that, I told her it was around 22 dollars. She led me over to a different section and finally found it. All the while, she managed to look unenthused and annoyed. Not a very welcoming feeling.
I think Ulta needs to work on their welcoming atmosphere. My Ulta back home has a lot nicer employees, but after seeing other Ultas, I think I just got lucky. Most of their employees have no idea what's going on around them. I really can't understand their sour attitudes. Lastly, like many others have said, the store is very unsanitary. Especially the NYX section. That area is full of smeared lipsticks and broken shadows, andmost things are without caps or seals. I love NYX, so that's a big issue for me. Things around the store are very unorganized. I prefer Target for my drugstore makeup shopping nowadays. It's all very clean and less cramped. I will continue to shop at Ulta for NYX and Esscence and their mix of brands, and I do enjoy shopping there. They just have so many issues they need to have fixed. If there was a Sephora closer to where I live, I don't think I'd be going to Ulta quite as frequently.

I generally love going to Ulta because of their selection and deals with a loyalty card. I do agree though with the others--cleanliness and sanitation could be better, especially when it comes to the tester products. I don't really test out the products because of this and I tend to buy the same essentials time and time again so a test product isn't necessary (or the item is cheap enough for me to bypass the test altogether and just take a risk).

Customer service hasn't been a problem for me. The people at the store near me are friendly and will ask if I need any help finding something. I've never had an issue with getting their coupons/booklets in the mail.

on 9/16/2012 3:14:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

i went in there once on a slow day and I was carrying my purse with me, in my purse I had my makeup bag which i guess was open and some stuff moved out. I carry some products with me since I work long hours in-case I need to touch up

I was looking at some mascara when a lady who works there came up to me, peeked into my bag, and told me "Oh it looks like you may have accidentally dropped some of our products into your bag!!"

What was showing was my tarte blissful blush, and my KAT VON D concealer that they do not even sell at that location.

I politely told her that these are mine and I paid for them and I did not buy it there, she did not believe me.

A whole ordeal took place, long story short if you are a person of any color or ethnicity do not go there because you are a criminal and will have people peeping into your purse without your permission

SHOPPING WHILE ARAB AT ULTA = BAD IDEA