ULTA Ulta- whole store

Filtered by skin type : Combination
ULTA Ulta- whole store

2.9

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm done shopping at Ulta. I feel like crap every time I shop there. I just want to look around and buy what I want without feeling like I'm being followed or be asked "can I help you" every 3 seconds. I'm not trying to steal your precious makeup, I'm a polite normal person and I just want to have a pleasant shopping experience just once when I'm there. I'm sick of the valley girl put on accents and the eye rolling. Is it so wrong to just shop normally like you would at any other store? Am I doing something wrong when I go to Ulta? This is the only store I get treated weird in. Sorry, your not getting anymore of my money.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is the place I go when I am sad lol I LOVE Ulta! They have a great selection of products and an amazing point program! I can't say enough good things about this store, it's just freaking awesome! I love getting points on items I buy for my family (body wash, shampoo, etc)

on 8/3/2016 5:12:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Totally agree with the comment below in regards to the whole coupon thing. I also had a 5 off ulta brand stuff and a 3.50 off coupon and I bought plenty of stuff that qualified both of them but the chick at the register would only let me use one. Come on ulta, like your not making enough money. This is why my scores are way low for this place.

on 4/1/2016 5:08:00 AM

Customer service is hit or miss. I would really love it if the cashiers would tell me I have points about to expire. But most of the time, when I am at the cash register, I feel like I am in a drugstore, except that my local Walgreens has friendlier and more helpful cashiers. I blame it on Ulta corporate culture. Any company with great customer service trains employees to be customer-oriented. Oh well, there are plenty of other places for me to spend my hard-earned money.

on 7/16/2015 12:06:00 AM

Love my local store but have gotten to where I hate shopping them on-line. Every time I order on-line I receive damaged product, all due to their poor shipping preparations. Seriously, how can someone pack delicate eyeshadows, blushes and powders in a box without wrapping in protective bubble wrap, adding packing peanuts or some other type of packing material to keep my anticipated purchases safe in shipping. Four orders in a row I have received damaged products and quite frankly am tired of dealing with the poorly trained customer service personnel and having to explain and justify my return and request a replacement.

I will say that Sephora.com has them beat hands down. I get my purchases in 2-3 days, items are carefully packed and in the event that something is damaged I get a replacement shipped overnight. Nothing is more irritating than waiting 2 weeks to get our purchases from Ulta, receiving damaged items, dealing with getting a replacement (which these orders have to go through an approval process that takes a week) and then waiting another 2 weeks while they ship via snail mail. It is extremely irritating when your replacement item arrives in a thin bulk envelope and it too is damaged.

Yes my preference is to shop my local store, where I am treated like a rock star due to my purchase habits and makeup, skincare and hair care addiction. But there are brands that are only available on-line so I have no choice but to roll the dice, order on-line and keep my fingers crossed that the person prepping my order for shipment actually has some pride in their job and wants to perform it properly. Nine times out of ten I am left disappointed and have to deal with returns.

on 2/18/2015 5:39:00 AM

I see a lot of reviews mentioning problems trying to return items to the store that were bought online, so I'll start with that. I'm not a big returner but the one time I went to my local Ulta with a return, the SA pretty much fell all over herself trying to help me. No problems whatsoever. I'm guessing that everyone's experience is going to vary from store to store. Which isn't fair, but I'm glad to say my experience was a positive one.

Overall, I have to say that I LOVE ULTA! I go in there about once a month and it's always a treat for me. The only other store that I can compare it to is Sephora, and I definitely prefer Ulta over them. Ulta's rewards program is the bomb (you earn points for every dollar spent and the points equal $ off purchases) and they are extremely generous with their multi-point events and coupons. Every time I go in there I have some type of Ulta coupon with me, be it $3.50 off or $5.00 off or 20% off. More often than not though the coupons exclude the high-end brands, which can be annoying. But here's where Ulta has got Sephora beat in my opinion- they carry the best mix of high and low all under one roof. Drugstore and department store brands together. What I love about them is that they sell so many things that I actually NEED along with the "splurge" type items as well.

As far as the knowledgeability of the staff, I can't really speak to that because I've never felt the need to ask them anything about anything. Everything in the store is really easy to find. And I do all of my product research online (mostly on MUA) so I pretty much have my mind made up before I buy anything. It honestly wouldn't occur to me to ask a SA what their opinion is of this product or that product. But that's just my shopping style. They're always really nice there though.

If you are a nail polish lover (which I am) they carry OPI, Essie, China Glaze, and Zoya. Sephora doesn't. And if you're a hair product junkie (which I also am) they carry all the salon brands like Redken and Joico too. And twice a year, they have a fantastic sale on their liter-sized bottles of shampoo and conditioner, 50% off. I save so much money shopping there!

The points system alone makes it worth it for me to buy all my miscellaneous items from them when I can.

Love it!

on 2/6/2015 7:44:00 PM

I disagree with CordulaM (who is an SA at Ulta and as of now it looks like her review has been deleted) and agree with Shannon804. I recently returned an item I bought online and received such a hassle from the SA and had the same experience as Shannon. I took what I thought was the sales receipt which was in the box when it was delivered and the SA said, it was the packing slip, not the receipt and that I had to find the email, print it out and bring it in. I hit the roof! What I thought was the receipt had the UPC label printed on it so I thought it contained all the sales info. I told the SA that Ulta needed to take it one step further, to include the receipt on the packing slip and that it was really stupid to expect a customer to wade back through their emails to find the original confirmation email, print it out and bring it in. I am an accountant and IMHO, ULTA is doing this to discourage returns. Plus I don't like the fact that ULTA does not give out samples. I am tired of buying products that do not perform like they claim they do and then I have to return them. So I've adopted a policy that I want to sample any new product before I buy it. Nordies and Sephora are both great at giving samples so perhaps Ulta will loose my business to them if they do not make improvements to the store's policies and procedures. As it is now, I am only shopping at Ulta if it is a product that I normally use and/or I can use a coupon. I also agree that the SA's at Ulta do not appear to be as knowledgeable about products as the SA's at Sephora.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

If it is possible to buy something at a physical store other than Ulta, I will go out of my way to get it there rather than have to brave Ulta. First, the staff is CLUELESS and doesn't even try to learn or pretend like they know anything. I mean, anyone can Google "best mascara" and have a random suggestion when customers ask what they should try. When I have asked for specific palettes or products, they look at me like I have three heads. My Ultas have products out that you can test, but no testing tools or alcohol to clean the testers with . . . gross. The one lippie is for the coupons, but 90% of the time, they aren't valid on the brands I want. They also don't give samples, so you can't try anything, and their return policy is not generous. Their customer service is the worst in the beauty business. I bought the wrong shade of a powder online, and brought it into the store to exchange it, with my receipt, product still sealed in plastic. They made a huge fuss and tried to tell me that I couldn't exchange it, then tried to tell me they didn't carry that brand in the store, despite the fact that they do, then told me the problem was that they needed my e-mail confirmation. Any time I order online, it takes two to four weeks to receive my order (!). I have placed Sephora or Target orders and received my items within 3 days-- meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Ulta to process my order from two weeks ago. Why would I pay the SAME PRICE as other stores for CRAPPY service? Thank goodness Target started carrying NYX. I may never set foot in this place again.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Here's my beef with ulta- 1.) I hate shopping at ulta because they act like I'm going to steal something even though my stepmom and I collectively spend approximately $1,000 in that store in a year. They're extremely rude and never helpful when trying to find a product... So I
2.) purchased my most recent seasonal bundle of products online over a week and a half ago, and it's still not here. Every day I track the item, it says it'll be here the next day. Ugh. Sticking with target and sephora. So not worth the trouble.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

So this is my second online purchase from Ulta, I must say this company has one of the SLOWEST shipping ever! It takes nearly 2 weeks to get to you, Then on top of everything they have a jacked up shipping method...They use Ups but some how both my orders ended up being delivered through Usps United states postal service? ? Real confusing why not just have Ups to drop it off directly? ? Oh and I noticed Ulta only post Butt kissing reviews! They won't post the tactful, honest reviews just wanted to put that out there...I'm a Sephora girl overall they only time I'll s shop from ulta again is if no other store and I do mean nooooo other store has what I'm looking for

Popular Other Products