ULTA Ulta- whole store

Filtered by skin type : Other
ULTA Ulta- whole store

2.9

Skin: Other, Olive, Neutral

There are a lot of pro's and con's with shoping at Ulta.
Pro's-
Drugstore & High End products- Clinic, Bare Minerals, Too Faced, It Cosmetics, Stila, Lancome, Urban Decay, Tarte, Becca (finally in my store), drugstore- Makeup Revolution, L'Oreal, Maybelline, Revlon, Physician's Formula, Ulta brand products, etc. etc. etc.

Awesome sales such as BOGO, online offers, special offers emailed coupons to get a deluxe sample for any purchase or brand deluxe samples for same brand purchases, $3.50/$5/20% off coupons that can be used and combined with MF coupons on specific items or at times any item.

Ulta Member Reward points for all purchases, special offers to 2x/3x/4x/5x points on specific purchase during a given time. Earn and redeem them toward a future purchase before they expire. Platinum members get bonus offers, sometimes free shipping on Platinum Perk offers, and Platinum perk steals at awesome prices.

Stores have testers now on even drugstore brands, and most prestige brands.

Innovative & new products to see and test out in the store. You don't have to be stocked across the counter for assistance or experience mental pressure just because your curious about an item.

Clearance section- on discontinued, & out of season items

Special gifts sets that are free on certain purchases during certain times of the year.

Free gift & coupon to spend for your birthday.

Con's-
Need more constant well trained staff. I've had a few unpleasant experiences, but it changes. Though I appreciate most of the staff I use to feel turned off with incredibly young associates assisting me with anti aging products. Let me tell them about sagging and wrinkles because I'm past forty, not the other way around. I'm happy to see they are making room for mature women who are wonderfully presented on the staff.

Sometimes I feel the staff is hard to keep because they are pressured by cooperate to push sales, & manage store responsibilities than what is reasonable to expect from any human.

Not all brands listed in advertisements are at all locations.

They don't have 6 hr beauty steals in stores, only online.

Some products are only offered online.

To remain Platinum you must spend $400 now to keep status every year, when it use to be $300 so your points don't expire. But they have offered better deals for Platinum members lately.

on 5/12/2013 8:30:00 AM

I was so excited when I heard Ulta was opening 5 minutes from my house. However....that didn't last long! Ulta never has anything I need since they are always "waiting for a delivery". The coupons are ridiculous since they are not for any of the desired brands but can be used only on drugstore things. They use them to entice you to come into the store. Their brands are low end and drugstore brands. I will not go back since the salespeople are rude and not versed on any of the products that they have. I totally prefer Sephora's! As far as samples go, I also was told they don't have any only to see them put some in the bag of the person after me. I have never used their salon services since I always hear the "salon staff" talking about other customers and I don't need them talking about me! Ulta needs to train their help both in the products and the way they treat people. I was going to apply for a job there and SO GLAD I didn't. Sephora is much more professional, will always give samples and, for the most part, have what I need. In my opinion...ULTA sucks!

The promo codes are mediocre and some don't work on entire brands (ie: Philosophy). At Sephora, the restrictions, if applicable (which is rare), are clearly visible. A Sephora, you're rewarded for being a valued customer with free, larger or full-size products and a birthday gift.The deals, information, and perks are better at Sephora, and, come to find out, so is the quality of staff. An Ulta staff member, rather than letting me know they'd look into it like any other respectful staff member at any other business where you give someone your money and come to expect to be treated at least cordially, argued with me like a child in front of my best friend (who is male) yesterday afternoon when I inquired about a link to a code in e-mail for the $10 off $60 promo that led to a site error (an open, blank page). Her attitude was condescending and combative... it was like a waitress or waiter saying something to the effect of, "get it yourself, stupid." That's how I felt standing there being aggressively belittled by someone whose job it is to help others. Instead of doing her job, she spoke down to me as though she had much better things to do. I'm even-keeled and friendly; I genuinely love meeting new people and really enjoy helping others, so to have someone, let alone someone who is in a service position (meaning there to help us) respond to that and to a simple question with, initally, dismissiveness, then loud confrontation... well, let's just say I was embarrassed in front of someone I love; he was shaking his head as we left and said he couldn't believe we bothered to stop at Ulta, so it was a first and a last time for him. I've never had any experiences remotely similar at Sephora; they've always been nothing but professional and friendly. I had to call the Ulta store manager after we'd left the store because it was so upsetting for the both of us to have been treated with such blatant disrespect; it bothered me that someone so clearly disgruntled by people was taking her bad day out on customers. I'm being kind in saying it was a bad day. I let the store manager know that I've had customer service experience in the past and would never have treated anyone with the kind of rudeness I experienced yesterday. The funny thing is I spend a lot of money where I'm treated well and I like to take advantage of sales and promos because I consider myself a smart consumer and feel that I've earned them. My best friend is the same way; he is a loyal customer and spends a lot if money where he is treated well. We're treated well at Sephora, and the staff and selection are remarkably better, so we won't be returning to Ulta.

I live in the sticks. The nearest Sephora is an hour away, so when an Ulta opened nearby recently, I thought I'd give it a try. I've been in the store three times now and they'd need to improve a number of things before I'd go back.

Pros: good selection of drugstore makeup lines, some premium lines. Good selection of haircare products. Good sales.

Cons: regular prices very high. Testers missing, often out of stock on products. SAs hopeless. I suppose you shouldn't even call them SAs since I've never seen them actually help customers - overheard one today tell a customer who asked what shade of eyeshadow would look best on her, "it's all personal choice - whatever you think looks best." Honestly, the cashier at my local Walgreens would do better than that.

I would guess the company is trying to cut costs by not hiring enough SAs and not training the ones they have. Until that changes, it looks like I'll continue schlepping to Sephora.

on 11/11/2008 9:00:00 PM

Reading these reviews reminded me of the ONE time I've been in an Ulta and that one time was a negative experience. I'll admit I don't have much to base my review on, so I can't say too much about the products or prices or anything. But I'll share my story: I went into one last year to buy a new flat iron, and I was explicitly looking for an FHI. I already had a CHI and was somewhat dissatisfied with it--I wanted one with tourmaline plates this time around. So, I go in and ask the woman where the FHIs are and she gives me this perplexed/condescending look and says "well they're over there...but why would you want an FHI? CHIs are so much better". I told her I already had one and wanted an FHI. She still pushes the CHIs on me and shows me this huge display in the center of the store, talking nonstop about CHIs although I'm clearly not interested and repeatedly ask about FHIs. Now this was right after Christmas and obviously they had anticipated selling more CHIs and hadn't, so now they were trying to pass off all their extra merchandise...on me. It was just generally kind of annoying. I also remember no one being at the register when I went up and finding it hard to get a sales associate's attention. Meh. Glad I have a Sephora by me so I don't have to deal with them ever again.

on 9/8/2008 4:44:00 PM

I've never been to an Ulta until about a couple months ago -- now I can easily say it's my favorite store ever! I've been buying Ulta's brand of make up lately since I think it holds its own with the more expensive brands. The store, the location I go to anyhow, is HUGE! Love the fact that they have a salon. There is always some coupon deal going on, which I love, since the products in the store tend to be a little high in price. There are a lot of restrictions with the coupons (can't get discount on bare escentuals eyeshadows, which I LOVE!), however, in my experience, it lowers your total a lot! Sephora sells a bit more brands (I've noticed benefit, make up forever), but I typically don't buy those brands anyhow.
Overall, I would recommend this store to anyone who wants a deal on high end make up products and to DEFINITELY check out Ulta's line of make up -- you'll be surprised!!!

This is an overall okay store. There are drugstore brands and some higher-end brands. The good thing about this store is the large variety of products they carry, and it is a good store for people who do not care for higher end brands. I have to complain about the prices though. The products they sell at Bed Bath and Beyond and CVS are significantly cheaper! Sometimes I feel like Ulta is ripping me off, but I just buy the products here because it's convenient. The rewards system is good, they give you points for things you buy and you can use your points for rewards. The customer service is pretty awful. The employees have no idea about makeup. Whenever I ask them to recommend a product or shade, they look at me like I'm crazy and go "I don't know...uh...try this". So yes, there are good points and bad points.

on 5/14/2007 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I didn't know of Ulta until MUA, and was so happy to discover there was one in my neighborhood! I think of it as a lower-end version of Sephora, although they do carry many mid to high end brands (Smashbox, BE, OPI, Essie, UD) and often have great BOGOF deals on drugstore items. It seems like there's always a $ or % off coupon floating around each week too, so you always save a little too :)

Popular Other Products