Ulta Ulta- whole store

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 56 & Over
No Image

2.0

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Oh-reading the reviews by MUA'ers are so funny, I just had to add my own! I thought it was just my own Ulta that was bad. When it first opened, the service was good (of course), the ladies were helpful, not too pushy, and samples were offered to customers. They even had SA's that knew the product lines. That was years ago it seems. How times have changed.
It seems we all have horror stories and I'll tell you my own. I wanted a haircut one day. I went in around dinnertime and was told they "don't take walk-ins". Ok. This was about 6 p.m. mind you, early enough in the day, since they don't close till 9 p.m., so the SA suggested I make an appointment. No one was sitting in a chair, there wasn't anyone waiting, and no one else had their hair done while I was in the store. I said I'd check my calendar and call back. When I called back from home, I was told they don't take anyone after 7 p.m., even though they don't close until 9 p.m. "well, because we don't. We have other things we have to do in the salon." I asked what about people that work during the day? They said "those people would have to take time off to come in because we're that good and people do come in early anyway". Oh really? I never did get my hair done at an Ulta. I guess my hair wasn't good enough for their scissors.
Next story. It was my birthday and Benefit advertises a free brow wax for your birthday at Ulta. Just come in on your birthday. So I did. Guess what? No Benefit SA available. So another SA tells me to come back another day and tell them that the Benefit girl wasn't there that day. So a few days later I come back again (I live 20 miles away, mind you), and again, the Benefit SA went home early (at 7 p.m.). So I inquire, so when exactly is this brow thing available for the working class? Am I supposed to run here right after work? The girl says "Well, IDK, she's never here at night." By the time I was able to reach the Benefit SA, I was told too much time had passed after my birthday and the offer wasn't available, but I could pay for one if I wanted. I never did get it done.
Next story. I was shopping foundations. No testers. I'm looking at PTR's foundations and would like to match a color. I'm standing there looking for a SA. Finally, one comes around and I ask if I can get a match. She walks away and comes back with fragrance paper swatch. She sticks it in one bottle and then hands it to me and walks away. There's my match. Like it or leave it, I guess. On a piece of paper, no less. Here's your color. I felt like it had been torn out of a magazine.
I had made a purchase of close to 200 dollars and asked for some samples to be put in the bag. The cashier told me they didn't have any. After I just dumped 200 bucks and they don't have one sample? The manager overheard the cashier and runs over and tells her she's wrong, they most certainly do. She tells me to wait, she will make a special sample package for me after the cashier just treated me so rudely. And she goes into the drawers behind the register where there are piles of samples. Obviously samples that they don't give out to the customers.
In all the time I've been shopping there, there has only been one nice SA who knew the products, gave out samples (knowing customers that tried and liked would come back and purchase), and was genuinely friendly. Lately, anyone that works there is rushed and isn't interested in helping anyone out. Perhaps Ulta needs to re-think their sales model.
Last story: I was looking around the store (always on my own, they no longer have any help) when I finally found an SA to inquire about a product in a particular line. I asked questions about a moisturizer in Philosophy. She really didn't have any answers for me, was hemming and hawing and looking every way but at me. Finally, she said, "Well, you could buy it and that would tell you your answers." Yep, it would. I could also drive across the street to Sephora where they could tell me about the product, sample it on me, give me a sample to go home with it if I so desired, too.
Ulta still sends me coupons sometimes and if I'm so inclined I'll go there just to find something cheap enough that I might need to use that coupon on. Otherwise, I won't go out of my way to step foot in that store anymore. It's just not a friendly feeling anymore. And it's becoming more of a Bargain Basement atmosphere, too.

on 2/16/2012 9:21:00 PM

This review is for Ulta.com. so my ratings for product doesn't apply except the overall rating. I have never been to an Ulta store; there aren't any in my state, and up until a few weeks ago I hadn't ever heard of them. The three times I have wanted to shop specials, the products were out of stock. This last time I wanted to get some of the NYX shadows on sale and they are all out of stock!! However, the same items that I wanted to buy from the last ad are there now that the sale is over. That is pretty cheeky (I have another word for it actually). This gives me a pretty good idea of how this company does business and it's not going to get any of mine.

Popular Other Products