Ulta Ulta- whole store

No Image

2.6

on 1/15/2015 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Ulta is somewhat of a necessary evil for me, since they're the only store in my area (that I know of) that carries certain products and brands (like NYX). My two biggest pet peeves: 1) many of the employees are frequently apathetic. It depends on who is there on any given day. And they are very serious about watching you, I can attest! And 2) (this is my biggest pet peeve) the testers are often missing -- or several perfectly good items, even several of one kind (like one particular color of lipstick or eyeshadow), have been tested by customers, rendering them useless for purchase. I realize this latter pet peeve is not necessarily the store's fault, but I would expect them to monitor this situation and ensure that testers are always available, even if that means compensating for theft of testers (yuck) by ordering extra stock. And speaking of ordering stock, rarely do I find what I came to purchase. They are ALWAYS out of stock on things and telling me that their "truck is coming on Thursday." When I return on Friday, I always find that what I want STILL hasn't been received, and it goes on and on this way forever. :-(

on 5/12/2013 8:30:00 AM

I was so excited when I heard Ulta was opening 5 minutes from my house. However....that didn't last long! Ulta never has anything I need since they are always "waiting for a delivery". The coupons are ridiculous since they are not for any of the desired brands but can be used only on drugstore things. They use them to entice you to come into the store. Their brands are low end and drugstore brands. I will not go back since the salespeople are rude and not versed on any of the products that they have. I totally prefer Sephora's! As far as samples go, I also was told they don't have any only to see them put some in the bag of the person after me. I have never used their salon services since I always hear the "salon staff" talking about other customers and I don't need them talking about me! Ulta needs to train their help both in the products and the way they treat people. I was going to apply for a job there and SO GLAD I didn't. Sephora is much more professional, will always give samples and, for the most part, have what I need. In my opinion...ULTA sucks!

on 1/17/2013 5:15:00 PM

This review is for the Ulta.com website. Truly one of the worst websites I've ever ordered from. Twice, they have screwed up my order and they were just languishing somewhere in Illinois. I talked to customer service several times and they assured me that I would receive them the next day. Well, I didn't so I filed a dispute with PayPal and I finally got my money back. I placed a couple more orders there and everything seemed ok. I placed an order on January 4th and have still not received it. I got the UPS tracking number and it said it would be here on Friday, January, 11th. Friday came and passed and nothing. I checked the UPS website again and it said that it had been transferred to my local post office for delivery. It is now Thursday, January 17th and nothing. Why the heck couldn't UPS just deliver it directly??? I checked the USPS tracking and it said it hasn't been updated since last Friday. So my package is lost somewhere in the Houston postal system. I really don't know why Ulta sets up their shipping this way. It is very very frustrating.

The promo codes are mediocre and some don't work on entire brands (ie: Philosophy). At Sephora, the restrictions, if applicable (which is rare), are clearly visible. A Sephora, you're rewarded for being a valued customer with free, larger or full-size products and a birthday gift.The deals, information, and perks are better at Sephora, and, come to find out, so is the quality of staff. An Ulta staff member, rather than letting me know they'd look into it like any other respectful staff member at any other business where you give someone your money and come to expect to be treated at least cordially, argued with me like a child in front of my best friend (who is male) yesterday afternoon when I inquired about a link to a code in e-mail for the $10 off $60 promo that led to a site error (an open, blank page). Her attitude was condescending and combative... it was like a waitress or waiter saying something to the effect of, "get it yourself, stupid." That's how I felt standing there being aggressively belittled by someone whose job it is to help others. Instead of doing her job, she spoke down to me as though she had much better things to do. I'm even-keeled and friendly; I genuinely love meeting new people and really enjoy helping others, so to have someone, let alone someone who is in a service position (meaning there to help us) respond to that and to a simple question with, initally, dismissiveness, then loud confrontation... well, let's just say I was embarrassed in front of someone I love; he was shaking his head as we left and said he couldn't believe we bothered to stop at Ulta, so it was a first and a last time for him. I've never had any experiences remotely similar at Sephora; they've always been nothing but professional and friendly. I had to call the Ulta store manager after we'd left the store because it was so upsetting for the both of us to have been treated with such blatant disrespect; it bothered me that someone so clearly disgruntled by people was taking her bad day out on customers. I'm being kind in saying it was a bad day. I let the store manager know that I've had customer service experience in the past and would never have treated anyone with the kind of rudeness I experienced yesterday. The funny thing is I spend a lot of money where I'm treated well and I like to take advantage of sales and promos because I consider myself a smart consumer and feel that I've earned them. My best friend is the same way; he is a loyal customer and spends a lot if money where he is treated well. We're treated well at Sephora, and the staff and selection are remarkably better, so we won't be returning to Ulta.

on 5/8/2012 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I go to Ulta only when I want a specific item and have coupons. In and out. It's nothing to write home about. I hate the re-do of the store. I prefer to search for things by brand, not type. SA are ok. I rarely deal with them. Depends on when you go. I have met a few who were very nice. Other times, didn't know what the heck I was looking for.

on 11/13/2010 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

I don't love Ulta. The assistants are usually unpleasant, or at least disinterested, then nail polish area is a mess, and they are often out of what I want. I don't buy any prestige cosmetics there unless it's an after Christmas blow out or something, because I can't use a coupon. I prefer to shop at Sephora for my prestige cosmetics, I find the assistants more helpful and a greater selection. However, I go to Ulta for all my hair care products becuase they often have buy 2 get 1 free sales, and I can use my coupons on that.

I too didn't like I was asked for all sorts of personal info at my last visit and I just told them, "No." Especially if you pay in cash, they can't make you give your phone number!

I live in the sticks. The nearest Sephora is an hour away, so when an Ulta opened nearby recently, I thought I'd give it a try. I've been in the store three times now and they'd need to improve a number of things before I'd go back.

Pros: good selection of drugstore makeup lines, some premium lines. Good selection of haircare products. Good sales.

Cons: regular prices very high. Testers missing, often out of stock on products. SAs hopeless. I suppose you shouldn't even call them SAs since I've never seen them actually help customers - overheard one today tell a customer who asked what shade of eyeshadow would look best on her, "it's all personal choice - whatever you think looks best." Honestly, the cashier at my local Walgreens would do better than that.

I would guess the company is trying to cut costs by not hiring enough SAs and not training the ones they have. Until that changes, it looks like I'll continue schlepping to Sephora.

on 11/25/2008 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I just got home from Ulta, once again angry. This is the only store that consistently puts me in a bad mood and it is all because of the staff. We don't have pushy workers at the Ulta near my house; we have "too busy chatting with my friends" types who seem bothered if you need service. They seem to hide from the customers. If the prices and selection weren't so good I would NEVER go there. If it is the manager's fault, I can't believe the corporation doesn't send secret shoppers in to see how customers are ignored. I'm also annoyed because the cashier today completely "re-interpreted" the Ulta rewards program, telling me that I couldn't get as many free items as I was given when I cashed in my last rewards a few months ago. Does anyone know if Ulta changed their policy and didn't tell the rewards club members?

on 11/11/2008 9:00:00 PM

Reading these reviews reminded me of the ONE time I've been in an Ulta and that one time was a negative experience. I'll admit I don't have much to base my review on, so I can't say too much about the products or prices or anything. But I'll share my story: I went into one last year to buy a new flat iron, and I was explicitly looking for an FHI. I already had a CHI and was somewhat dissatisfied with it--I wanted one with tourmaline plates this time around. So, I go in and ask the woman where the FHIs are and she gives me this perplexed/condescending look and says "well they're over there...but why would you want an FHI? CHIs are so much better". I told her I already had one and wanted an FHI. She still pushes the CHIs on me and shows me this huge display in the center of the store, talking nonstop about CHIs although I'm clearly not interested and repeatedly ask about FHIs. Now this was right after Christmas and obviously they had anticipated selling more CHIs and hadn't, so now they were trying to pass off all their extra merchandise...on me. It was just generally kind of annoying. I also remember no one being at the register when I went up and finding it hard to get a sales associate's attention. Meh. Glad I have a Sephora by me so I don't have to deal with them ever again.

Skin: Oily, Other, Neutral

I think for what it is, Ulta is a good store. I've never been to Sephora, so I can't compare. I do agree with the reviewer who said that with the low end products (and I hate to call them that, as some "low end" products are far superior to "high end" products that cost four or five times as much) being so expensive at Ulta, it's much cheaper to shop at Target for those brands.
I can only speak for the two Ultas that are near me and both are staffed with very professional and helpful SA's.
With the current economic climate, Ulta would do well to stop excluding the "high end" cosmetics from the coupon offers, as I am SURE that many people, myself included, can't justify spending big bucks on cosmetics with the cost of food, gas, etc, and with the fact that our economic future in this country is so uncertain. If these items were regularly included on coupon deals, in a rotating manner so that most of the "high end" products were included, I think that would entice more people to spend a little more than they usually would as they would at least feel as though they were saving something instead of just being extravagant.
I appreciate the fact that if there's something that I use as a staple, like, for instance, my Too Face Shadow Insurance or my Too Faced London Light Concealer, I can get it without any trouble.
I must say that the managers at both Ulta stores have been nothing but helpful, as have all SA's.
I can't compare cleanliness with Sephora, since I've never been there, but think about it.....if customers weren't such "pigs" and cleaned up after themselves after they used a brush or tested a product.......you get my drift. It's the same thing when you go to Kohl's to try on clothing......people actually throw items in piles on the floor instead of hanging them back on the hangers and taking them out to the return area. Slovenliness and laziness, unfortunately, are part and parcel of today's society in America, and I feel for the people who work in retail and always do my part to clean up any "mess" that I make in any store in which I shop, which USED to be the norm instead of the exception.

Popular Other Products