ULTA Ulta- whole store

Filtered by age: 36-43
ULTA Ulta- whole store

3.3

on 2/18/2015 5:39:00 AM

I see a lot of reviews mentioning problems trying to return items to the store that were bought online, so I'll start with that. I'm not a big returner but the one time I went to my local Ulta with a return, the SA pretty much fell all over herself trying to help me. No problems whatsoever. I'm guessing that everyone's experience is going to vary from store to store. Which isn't fair, but I'm glad to say my experience was a positive one.

Overall, I have to say that I LOVE ULTA! I go in there about once a month and it's always a treat for me. The only other store that I can compare it to is Sephora, and I definitely prefer Ulta over them. Ulta's rewards program is the bomb (you earn points for every dollar spent and the points equal $ off purchases) and they are extremely generous with their multi-point events and coupons. Every time I go in there I have some type of Ulta coupon with me, be it $3.50 off or $5.00 off or 20% off. More often than not though the coupons exclude the high-end brands, which can be annoying. But here's where Ulta has got Sephora beat in my opinion- they carry the best mix of high and low all under one roof. Drugstore and department store brands together. What I love about them is that they sell so many things that I actually NEED along with the "splurge" type items as well.

As far as the knowledgeability of the staff, I can't really speak to that because I've never felt the need to ask them anything about anything. Everything in the store is really easy to find. And I do all of my product research online (mostly on MUA) so I pretty much have my mind made up before I buy anything. It honestly wouldn't occur to me to ask a SA what their opinion is of this product or that product. But that's just my shopping style. They're always really nice there though.

If you are a nail polish lover (which I am) they carry OPI, Essie, China Glaze, and Zoya. Sephora doesn't. And if you're a hair product junkie (which I also am) they carry all the salon brands like Redken and Joico too. And twice a year, they have a fantastic sale on their liter-sized bottles of shampoo and conditioner, 50% off. I save so much money shopping there!

The points system alone makes it worth it for me to buy all my miscellaneous items from them when I can.

Love it!

on 5/8/2012 7:42:00 AM

I, too, am an Ulta Fan and have only good things to say about their stores. I live in Illinois and their staff is always friendly and helpful, the store clean, the shelves well stocked. I frequent several Ulta Stores in my area and they get an A across the board.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

i love the store! Ihave always hated the snobby feeling you get when you go into Sephora so I was so happy to have an Ulta to shop at instead. The employees have always been pleasant, not overbearing; However not incredibly helpful. How could you not like a store that carries every beauty product you could possibly want!

on 12/27/2008 3:34:00 PM

I love this store. SAs are very friendly. Lots of coupons and sales. I like the fact that they have mix of h/e and d/s products.I just wish they had more stores and more hight end products.

on 11/11/2008 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am very surprised that there a so many negative reviews of Ulta. The closest Sephora is about 30 minutes away and in a very busy mall so I try to avoid, but the few times I have been there, I have a good experience but they do not have the inventory or selection that ulta does.

The Ulta in my neighborhood (Midwest City, OK) is fairly new and is always clean and the SA's are very helpful. I am a single parent with a beautiful, but very curious and talkative 4 year old and the girls in there always make time to talk and fuss over her. And her answer her 40 or 50 questions. And if you have children, you know that doesn't happen everywhere and that goes along way with me.

I always get my points and have never had any problems with returns or coupons..

Ulta ROCKS!

There are two rather large yet distinct Ulta's in my area. One of them is in the 'posh' zip code and it literally has an ethereal feel to it when you walk inside. Ultra modern and clean. It is at this location where I found a fabulous eye cream. It's the Ulta Dark Circle cream. Reasonably priced and very moisturizing. I don't have a big problem with dark circles, however. The reason I purchased this product was because I was, and to some degree, am still having issues with restful sleep. My eyes were getting a dull and aged look fast. I really think this cream has stemmed the tide of premature aging. Ulta is great because it has everything under one roof. Sephora is nice but Ulta is truly for the everyday girl.

Skin: Other, Olive, Neutral

There are a lot of pro's and con's with shoping at Ulta.
Pro's-
Drugstore & High End products- Clinic, Bare Minerals, Too Faced, It Cosmetics, Stila, Lancome, Urban Decay, Tarte, Becca (finally in my store), drugstore- Makeup Revolution, L'Oreal, Maybelline, Revlon, Physician's Formula, Ulta brand products, etc. etc. etc.

Awesome sales such as BOGO, online offers, special offers emailed coupons to get a deluxe sample for any purchase or brand deluxe samples for same brand purchases, $3.50/$5/20% off coupons that can be used and combined with MF coupons on specific items or at times any item.

Ulta Member Reward points for all purchases, special offers to 2x/3x/4x/5x points on specific purchase during a given time. Earn and redeem them toward a future purchase before they expire. Platinum members get bonus offers, sometimes free shipping on Platinum Perk offers, and Platinum perk steals at awesome prices.

Stores have testers now on even drugstore brands, and most prestige brands.

Innovative & new products to see and test out in the store. You don't have to be stocked across the counter for assistance or experience mental pressure just because your curious about an item.

Clearance section- on discontinued, & out of season items

Special gifts sets that are free on certain purchases during certain times of the year.

Free gift & coupon to spend for your birthday.

Con's-
Need more constant well trained staff. I've had a few unpleasant experiences, but it changes. Though I appreciate most of the staff I use to feel turned off with incredibly young associates assisting me with anti aging products. Let me tell them about sagging and wrinkles because I'm past forty, not the other way around. I'm happy to see they are making room for mature women who are wonderfully presented on the staff.

Sometimes I feel the staff is hard to keep because they are pressured by cooperate to push sales, & manage store responsibilities than what is reasonable to expect from any human.

Not all brands listed in advertisements are at all locations.

They don't have 6 hr beauty steals in stores, only online.

Some products are only offered online.

To remain Platinum you must spend $400 now to keep status every year, when it use to be $300 so your points don't expire. But they have offered better deals for Platinum members lately.

on 7/30/2013 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My local Ulta is great. The store is clean and organized well. I like that it carries a mix of HE products and drugstore. I also love the gift with purchase specials they have with the HE brands.

on 8/2/2012 6:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

my ulta store is located in the Asheville Mall in North Carolina. I would like to say they have hired the best staff there. only one girl i really did not like. the ladies at the benefit and lancombe counters are simply terrific! the salespeople try very hard when i come thru with a question. The displays have usually in decent condition. but that is more of a customer issue. when i go in the mornings they look great, mid day on a weekend..not so much.

on 1/11/2009 8:11:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

There is an Ulta store right across the street from where I work, so I have shopped there on many occasions. I have never had a bad experience with a SA. For the most part, I have found them to be friendly and helpful (although, on occasion, I have witnessed a bit of "snobbiness"). Like many reviewers, I like that you can find both every day drug store items, as well as the higher-end items all in one store. I also like the large fragrance selection. I had to return an item once because I bought the wrong shade of primer (it was a higher end product) and I was not given any hassle (I did have my receipt). I did experience the slow computer problem one day when they could not accept credit cards..... but, I guess that can happen to any retailer. I have also ordered from Ulta on line, and have had no problems. When they are offering the "freebies", I found that you need to act quick, because they do tend to run out of the items quickly (especially around Christmas !!!). I also was fooled by the $5 off coupon when I tried to use it with a higher end brand- I failed to read the small print on the coupon. It did make me mad, because those are the items that you need the coupons for, but, after reading the review from the Ulta employee, I realize that it is not Ulta's fault (if what she says is true, the higher end brands refuse to give discounts on their product lines and require Ulta to sign a contract that they will not give discounts). I have not used the salon, as I have a favorite salon already, so I have no idea on the quality of service provided. Ulta does have some good deals at times, and overall, I really do like shopping there.

Popular Other Products