Ulta Ulta- whole store

No Image

3.0

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is the place I go when I am sad lol I LOVE Ulta! They have a great selection of products and an amazing point program! I can't say enough good things about this store, it's just freaking awesome! I love getting points on items I buy for my family (body wash, shampoo, etc)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE Ulta! The stores I have been to are: the Green Valley location in Las Vegas, Nevada on Stephanie Street; the Silverado Ranch location on Eastern Blvd in Las Vegas, Nevada; the location in Waldorf in Maryland; and the location in White Marsh in Maryland. All of these locations have been clean and the employees, for the most part, helpful. There have been a couple employees in the Las Vegas locations that were snobby, unhelpful, and even ignored me. It was in the Stephanie location where a man passed by me and asked, "Do you need help with anything?" while walking past me. He didn't even LOOK at me or pause, he just continued walking. I said, "Yes, please. I have a question..." and he continued walking past me. I walked in his direction and said, "Excuse me?..." and he turned around, looked at me with a confused expression, and then continued walking away and went in the back of the store. That was incredibly rude. It literally seemed like he was just asking to ask because that's what employees are expected to do and was disturbed that I had the gall to actually request his presence.

It seems that different locations carry different products. If you're looking for something in particular, I suggest calling the store you're going to before you go in to ask if they have that specific product in the specific shade you need available. I have done this and most employees are kind enough to get the product and hold it up front for me so I can come in later that day to pick it up. I have gone to Ulta countless times to get something in particular and found they don't have it all or don't have it in stock. It just is what it is. Perhaps you can call and ask the location nearest to you to order something if they don't have it. I don't recall doing this yet, so I don't know how that will work out.

The main reasons I love this store are because of the coupons. You can get a free membership card to use online and in store. With this card they usually send you a monthly or bi-weekly catalog with new products, on sale products, and a $3.50 off coupon for purchases over $10 before tax. Yes, it includes sale and clearance items! I don't think it applies for certain products though, so read the fine print. I've never purchased a product yet that it didn't apply to. However, I downloaded the app Shopular on my iphone which gives me coupons to the stores I walk into. I can use the same $3.50 off coupon inside the app with the barcode I receive as many times as I want instead of using one coupon every catalog I receive. This is much more efficient. For example, over the weekend I went in and purchased a self-tanner that was $13. I got it for $9.50. Later on I went back in and bought quite a few clearance and on sale items that were originally $10.50 altogether and only paid $7. I am planning on going back this week to purchase a foundation that is $12 and I'll only pay $8.50. So you can see how having a free membership and using the coupons can really be economical.

Plus, at the end of the year in December, depending on how many products you purchased during the calendar year and how much money you spent, they send you free things and take additional money off of purchases. Great when buying Christmas gifts from there.

Lastly, the reason I love Ulta is because they finally have started carrying my favorite self-tanner, St. Moriz (the St. Tropez knock off). Formerly this product was only available in Europe because it is manufactured in England. The only way to get it was by buying it online through places like Amazon, which could lead you to end up with tampered, false, or watered down products. Now that Ulta has it I can purchase it from an American retailer any time I need to and I know it's authentic and safe.

on 2/18/2015 5:39:00 AM

I see a lot of reviews mentioning problems trying to return items to the store that were bought online, so I'll start with that. I'm not a big returner but the one time I went to my local Ulta with a return, the SA pretty much fell all over herself trying to help me. No problems whatsoever. I'm guessing that everyone's experience is going to vary from store to store. Which isn't fair, but I'm glad to say my experience was a positive one.

Overall, I have to say that I LOVE ULTA! I go in there about once a month and it's always a treat for me. The only other store that I can compare it to is Sephora, and I definitely prefer Ulta over them. Ulta's rewards program is the bomb (you earn points for every dollar spent and the points equal $ off purchases) and they are extremely generous with their multi-point events and coupons. Every time I go in there I have some type of Ulta coupon with me, be it $3.50 off or $5.00 off or 20% off. More often than not though the coupons exclude the high-end brands, which can be annoying. But here's where Ulta has got Sephora beat in my opinion- they carry the best mix of high and low all under one roof. Drugstore and department store brands together. What I love about them is that they sell so many things that I actually NEED along with the "splurge" type items as well.

As far as the knowledgeability of the staff, I can't really speak to that because I've never felt the need to ask them anything about anything. Everything in the store is really easy to find. And I do all of my product research online (mostly on MUA) so I pretty much have my mind made up before I buy anything. It honestly wouldn't occur to me to ask a SA what their opinion is of this product or that product. But that's just my shopping style. They're always really nice there though.

If you are a nail polish lover (which I am) they carry OPI, Essie, China Glaze, and Zoya. Sephora doesn't. And if you're a hair product junkie (which I also am) they carry all the salon brands like Redken and Joico too. And twice a year, they have a fantastic sale on their liter-sized bottles of shampoo and conditioner, 50% off. I save so much money shopping there!

The points system alone makes it worth it for me to buy all my miscellaneous items from them when I can.

Love it!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Ulta stores are NOT created equal. I think with this store it all comes down to the staff. I have three Ulta's within a 10-30 minute rage from me. One of those stores is the next town over and I ONLY go to that one in a pinch or tight on time. The SA's are usually miserable and lack motivation. I know this isn't an exciting job at NASA but some enthusiasm would be greatly appreciated and customers will want to spend money! For spa services or I want to do a haul or take my time, I have to drive to the 30 minute location. Of course, the furthest one is the best one. So, I give this particular furthest store five stars. The sales associates are always eager to help and will go check to see when things will be back in stock. They will, get this, tell you if you have points you can use without you even asking! Also, this location is the largest with the most inventory. The one that is right next to me has dedicated three rows just for Benefit and the whole front store is all Clinique. I'm not a fan of these brands so that is just all wasted space for me. My favorite location is an all in one stop shop! A lot of brands and variety.

As for spa services, I've been extrememly happy with the three facials from this particular location. Icing on the cake, I recently had to use a 50% spa coupon and it was the last day to use it. I had an appoinment for a facial at 2pm. On the way to the appointment, there was an accident on the off ramp and was stuck in traffic making me 30 minutes late to my appointment. I called the store and told them what happned and they said they were booked after me but to come down anyway and they would take care of me. They gave me one of their 20 minute facials which in the end, worked out for me since my day was already shot. The esthetician wasn't moody about my extreme tardiness even though she could tell how frazzled I was. She changed my mood to disgust and embarrassment to calming and content. She really made my day and the service was outstanding. She took the time to go over steps and even warned me of then things might tingle.

I'm a spa junkie. I've been known to get $200 facials. I'm also very critical of them. If I'm paying $200 for a facial, don't lean over me with your garlic breath and use cold fingers! I had one esthetician even sit in the room and chow on her lunch while I laid there with a mask on my face. Granted, there are down times in facials but at least go into a different room!

on 7/17/2014 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Man, after reading some of these reviews, I'm just puzzled. But to be completely honest, it really all does depend on location and the people you get. My Ulta, in Colorado Springs, CO, is amazing. People there are never too pushy, nor do they ever ignore you. When I was looking confused and puzzled about something, a girl came up to me and simply said if I needed any help, I said "No thank you" and she walked away. After 5 minutes of trying to figure it out myself, I gave up and went up to the same girl and she smiled at me and jokingly said "See, I knew you would need my help!" and she was super super helpful. Every single girl I have talked to there has been awesome. Another day I wanted to try something and had done some research but I still wasn't sure what would work best for me, so I walked up to one of the girls who just happen to be around the Urban Decay section, and asked her. Though it seemed like her main focus was Urban Decay, she walked me over to the drugstore section and actually recommended a few things, and even told me not to get a certain products I was looking at due to my skin tone being too pale, she recommended getting a different product instead, which just so happened to be cheaper!

Every single item I'm looking for (except new stuff, sometimes those go flying off the shelves!) is always there. They keep the whole place clean and tidy, and all the girls there working are knowledgeable. I never leave with something I dislike, and I am always able to return it, even if I opened it and used it.

I can't say I have ever had issues with the rewards point system. Nor have I ever had issues with the coupons not being taken (I never buy anything but drugstore though, because I just can't afford it, even with coupons and deals, etc.).

TL;DR: I really like my Ulta, I never have issues there, and I am always treated nicely and not like a thief. Store is always clean, friendly staff, and stocked reasonably.

by far the best store i have ever been to. i love ulta

on 9/2/2013 11:46:00 AM

I absolutely love Ulta stores. I probably go 5-6 times a month to shop and I never buy any of my beauty products anywhere else. Ulta is like my 'happy place' besides my home.

Reasons why I love it:
-Their rewards program is the best! You earn cash off and continue to build up how many dollars you get off as you earn points. Plus they very often have double points or triple points earning opportunities, sometimes for a whole month. And you don't have to earn some ridiculous amount before you start using your points, either.
-They always have a coupon going; you can pretty much always find a $3.50 off $10 purchase one but they also do 20% off whole purchase and $5 off $15 from time to time. And sometimes you can stack coupons.
-They have sales running all the time: usually buy one get one 50% off on these brands, or buy two get one free on such-and-such brands. And coupons and points can still be applied against sale items.
-They have everything. The store is divided up between the DS priced stuff and the high end stuff. I rarely go to the high end side but I can find everything I need in store, from toothpaste to mascara to blowdryers.
-Their return policy is ridiculously good. You can return any product, used or not, with a receipt within 60 days and they are not judgmental about it either. I don't buy new beauty products that I'm trying for the first time (or really, any beauty products) anywhere else because I know if I buy them at Ulta and don't end up liking them, I can take them back, no money lost.
-They have a varied selection of brands you've always known, new stuff, and little indie brands you've never heard of.
-The SA's are generally helpful and friendly. Some can be snobby but this doesn't happen nearly as frequently as it does as Sephora.
-They always have stuff marked for clearance. Not always great stuff but sometimes I can find an Essie or OPI polish at half price in clearance.
-The brow bar. I've only done it once but I liked the results. And you can get your brows done for free in your birthday month.
-Speaking of the birthday month, if you do the rewards program they send you birthday bucks - $10 off any purchase!
-The two (we recently got another) stores in my city are always clean and well organized. Sometimes what I'm looking for is out of stock; Ulta doesn't seem to carry a lot of reserve for some of the DS stuff. But I know what day they get their restock in so I know when to come back. That is the one not great thing about my Ulta store experiences but I go so often that having to go back is not usually a big deal.

I absolutely love Ulta and will always shop there for all my beauty needs. Once our city got one and I found out how great it was, I never went back to Sephora.

Online can be a different story - their regular shipping is pretty slow and sometimes the site has functionality problems - but the store is the best!

on 5/8/2012 7:42:00 AM

I, too, am an Ulta Fan and have only good things to say about their stores. I live in Illinois and their staff is always friendly and helpful, the store clean, the shelves well stocked. I frequent several Ulta Stores in my area and they get an A across the board.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I worked at ULTA and here are the reasons for the issues. The reason why they ask for info on cash returns is for loss prevention. Regular $3.50 and ad coupons will be restricted from prestige items the same way most stores do so. Macy's, Dillards, Sephora, etc.For being a rewards member you receive 6 20% off post card coupons with no exclusions. Return policy is great because you can exchange/return with a receipt with 60days if not satisfied. For every $50 u spend in a 4 month time period you move up a reward level for free items or your choice in a list. What other store will give you a FREE fragrance up to $40? Sephora is also not as busy, maybe that's the reason people feel they give better customer service.

I love Ulta. They are pretty new to my area. Maybe 2 years? I love that they sell HE as well as drugstore items. All of the associates I have ever dealt with have been kind and courteous. I've never had a problem with them following me around.

I also love how they always have coupons. They take those as well as manufacturer coupons combined. I usually end up saving a lot of money.

Popular Other Products