Ulta Ulta- whole store

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
No Image

3.3

on 12/18/2013 2:31:00 AM

Terrible place to shop; in store and online. When I go in one of two things happen. I'm ignored or bombarded with questions. On top of this I'm 18 and treated like a thief when I spend hundreds of dollars here! The first time I was refused my free gift with purchase, when I qualified for 2 of them from different brands. She didn't bother checking in the back and she flipped through the current ad without even caring. I could clearly see it. Snotty attitude. Secondly I spent at least 250 during one period for point redemption and my flyer did not include any coupons. I emailed and they didn't understand me, and said it was my fault for not "using them in time" which is not what I even complained about. So they resend a voucher for 3 rewards points, which should of been 5 but whatever. I go to redeem them in store with the voucher they sent, and the associates act like they think Im lying and just printed out this paper. They say they can honor 1 dollar off for each point because they didn't know what they were doing. Also they had no wifi in store so I couldn't pull up my coupon on my phone, and they couldn't honor it I suppose, so I just left very upset being treated like a clueless liar. :--/ I hate this store, truly, the online experience is a joke, prices are better at drug stores lol. No thanks

on 2/16/2012 9:21:00 PM

This review is for Ulta.com. so my ratings for product doesn't apply except the overall rating. I have never been to an Ulta store; there aren't any in my state, and up until a few weeks ago I hadn't ever heard of them. The three times I have wanted to shop specials, the products were out of stock. This last time I wanted to get some of the NYX shadows on sale and they are all out of stock!! However, the same items that I wanted to buy from the last ad are there now that the sale is over. That is pretty cheeky (I have another word for it actually). This gives me a pretty good idea of how this company does business and it's not going to get any of mine.

I've had problems with Ulta for YEARS, and have watched them go downhill. I agree not everyone has a Sephora, and I think that Ulta could fill a niche between high end and drugstore items, however they are dropping the ball bigtime. The stores look dirty, the shelves (except for their store brand) are almost empty, and what used to be a great place to shop perfumes has turned into a wasteland. Add to that the fact that they are ALWAYS out of items advertised in their flyers, and their sale coupons have so many exceptions that they are not good for anything but items you can get at the grocery store. And last but not least, the staff are not well trained and have no idea what their store sells, Sorry if you work there, I've done retail so I know the issues, I also know you can't spend all your working hours in a store that size and not know what you carry! Example: I went in to buy the new L'Oreal lumi primer, I was in the same parking lot, and didn't want to drive another 15 minutes in trafffic to go somewhere else. so I broke my rule and went in. As usual, the display was empty, I flagged down an SA who I think was an assistant mgr, and asked if there was any other stock. I was told "No-it's new, so we won't have more for a couple weeks". I wasn't surprised as that's what usually happens when I shop at Ulta. I decided to check on a few other things, and imagine my surprise when I went around the end cap at the end of that aisle, and there was an entire untouched display of the primer I was looking for, I wonder how many people went out the door empty handed because someone didn't know they DID have more? They were offering a free gift/with a L'Oreal purchase, which I qualified for. When I went to pay, I told the SA the extra item was free with purchase, She charged me for it anyway, I had to mention it again, and rather than apologize or talk to me directly, she complained to a co worker, about the free item, Sloppy way to do business, I honestly think this is a corporate issue, I've tried to contact their corporate offices in the past, and have had no response, This tells me they do not value me as a customer, So be it, I will go out of my way to avoid purchasing anything at Ulta. I will go in once in awhile to check on colors, but I will go home and order online from another retailer, or go somewhere else to purchase. It works better for me anyway, as I usually buy enough to get free shipping, plus samples and extras Ulta does not give out. It's too bad, but with all the competition they have now, I can't see them staying in business much longer,

I only went to Ulta for NYX products. In the future I'll probably just order online from discounted websites. My over all experience with Ulta has been horrendous.

Lets begin by describing the associates: stuck up. If I don't dress up to the "nines", wave money or a designer purse in their face, or walk in and head to the high end side; I get ignored and treated like dirt. I tried going to the high end side to get a good concealer. The associated shoved one brand in my face and left. No asking if I wanted to try it on (I did) or the likes. Oh well. Ulta lost a $40+ sale that day. I did an experiment one day. I wore a knock off Guess purse, a nice dress, heels, and overly done make-up. When I entered the high end side the sales ladies wanted to help me instantly. One time I tried to do a return and was treated like a thief.

My last visit was the one I described about the concealer. I just don't get what the sales ladies at Ulta's issues are but I swear that store needs to retrain their associates in customer service because they are lacking it big time!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'll never forget the most horrible haircut I ever got - at an Ulta "salon" (ha!). I had made an appointment well in advance, showed up on time, and had to wait in a chair for 45 minutes. Then the stylist basically ripped through my hair in less than 5 minutes, pulling the whole time, and didn't even have time to blow dry my hair! Told me I couldn't request that!!!!! (Basically, an $8 Supercuts haircut, with extra rudeness, for $50!!) Then when I went out to pay at the counter, the saleswoman asked really loudly if I wanted to leave a tip, and the stylist just happened to be walking past at that moment. What a ripoff - I paid well over $50 for worse service than a Supercuts. SKIP the Salon - I was appalled! I haven't been back in an Ulta since.

on 11/11/2008 9:51:00 PM

Horrible customer service! I will never shop there again. They do not stand behind their products. I had a defective hair tool that I tried to return WITH a receipt two days after purchasing and they would not let me exchange it or get a refund. Manager actually was laughing at me and was BEYOND RUDE!!! Never again.

on 10/9/2008 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The only things that keep me coming back to Ulta are selection and the occasional BOGO. If L'Oreal makes 12 different pigment colors, Ulta has them all, and sometimes a BOGO at that. They have 7 or 8 varieties of the Montagne Jeunesse masks-- those $1.79 packets that look so cheap but work so well but are so hard to find. Sephora may be out of stock on BE shadows, but Ulta will have them, and they're just across the street. The problem is that selection is the only thing this company has going for it.

As far as coupon/sale restrictions, blaming customers for a lack of understanding just doesn't cut it, and frankly, it's insulting. You won't win customers over by blaming all your problems on them. The restrictions are the same ones on every department store promo/coupon/offer everywhere:

*NOT GOOD ON THE GOOD STUFF, but we're not going to give you a straight answer on what the good stuff is so that you'll come in thinking you're going to get a tiny break on something decent. When you get in the store, we'll tell you that pretty much anything you really want is off limits. Because you don't want to think you wasted your gas, or let people know you were snookered by another vague coupon, you'll pick up a lot of cheap, useless junk that you'll just throw away anyhow.*

With their recent Ulta bucks promotion, you couldn't even use those on the bad stuff-- red ticket clearance was off limits! It's just amazing that they would rather keep their shelves clogged with stuff that doesn't sell than let people buy it with a couple of miserable $5 coupons-- oops, that might generate customer good will, and we can't have that! Not to mention that they could be using that shelf space for something that sells. BTW, if there's no discounting on prestige cosmetics, why do I find them in the clearance section all the time in the first place? Are you trying to discombobulate my pretty little female mind? Because it's not working. I actually asked a SA to clarify the restrictions on the U bucks when I was there yesterday, just to see what would happen. She said I could use them on red ticket clearance even though the bucks clearly stated that you couldn't. So why should you expect customers to understand these coupons when even your employees don't?

I understand cosmetic companies engage in price fixing, and that Ulta may be in a bind with the coupons. The problem is I JUST DON'T CARE. If the coupons confuse people, if people don't like them, that's Ulta's problem, not mine. Find a promotion that people can get excited about. Don't keep shoving the same junk down my throat telling me how generous you are and how stupid and ungrateful I am. The rewards program is just useless and does not make me want to buy more. The reward coupons expire before I can use them, and the free items are so cheap and junky that they're only a slap in the face to anyone who may have spent enough money to get them in the first place. A travel size pack of brand X Q-Tips as a reward for $200 worth of business is insulting.

There are different SAs in there every time I go in. There is one stylist in the salon I've seen more than once, but I refuse to put my hair in the hands of people who are treated
like crap. I don't want an unhappy, resentful person anywhere near my head with chemicals and scissors. Also, not that I would ever let one of them do my makeup either in such nasty moods, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't feel like I was obligated to purchase anything. If it isn't really free it shouldn't be advertised as free, and I don't see what the big deal is about not helping other customers while you're doing someone's makeup-- it's not like they'd be helping customers under any other circumstance. The prime directive at Ulta is to patronize and annoy.

Rickisyed's 06/18/07 review says a lot about how this company treats its people and for how the SAs act as a result. I'm treated as persona non grata, or worse, a shoplifter. Yesterday I had an item that had been mistagged, and I was all but accused of having switched the tags on the item, even though the rest of the items had identical tags on them-- and it was OBVIOUS that the tags had been applied directly from a pricing gun. They were loud and nasty about it, and as someone on the autism spectrum, it is very hard for me to stand up for myself in a real time situation. I am still very upset about this-- crying upset. I will go back for the mask packets because I can't find them anywhere else, but as soon as I find another source I'm done.

I am sick of being treated like a substandard human and a criminal. Sephora may not have drugstore brands, but they are always good to me in there and they don't try to buy me off with cheap, meaningless promos after stripping me of my dignity. What's sad is that Ulta could have been a really good store. I honestly loved going in there the first time because there was so much stuff... but it just costs too much.

on 9/27/2008 12:25:00 AM

I used to work for Sephora and when Ulta opened up a couple miles from where I live I assumed it would be comparable to Sephora in terms of customer service, employee knowledge, store cleanliness etc. Boy was I wrong!!! I have had nothing but problems from the first time I visited the store. I picked out a few things and asked to SA if the items I had picked were part of the sale going that was going on, she told me they were and after some time browsing around I finally got into the looong line (there is always a long line) only to be told there was no sale on my items. After a prolonged debate that eventually got the SA involved and me the discount, I left thinking that all stores have glitches during opening and I'd go back after things had calmed down and more training had hopefully been done.
But no. Time and time again I have gone in only to be dissapointed by the service or lack thereof. The cashiers have no clue what is or is not on sale and absolutely no problem arguing with you. I now only go in if I am after a product that is on sale and I have my catalogue with me marked with the sale prices or BOGO info and even then I end up having to have a manager called up to the cash stand. I'd rather just pay the shipping and have Sephora get my hard earned dollars.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This review is regarding the Ulta website. It's slow, error messages pop up every few seconds, and my 'shopping cart' kept changing (things were disppearing for no reason). I spent nearly two hours working on my order and finally got it as close to correct as possible...(still showing the wrong mascara color, oh well) I received two seperate emails confirming my order and letting me know my debit card transaction was processed. I was given a UPS tracking #. This happened in May. Still no package. Customer service (phone) is beyond rude and condescending. I was sent an email survey regarding my 'experience' w/ Ulta. CS informed me that those emails are only sent after a package is mailed, then tried to tell me my debit card must be no good. These b*tches will not refund my dc or send my order. I've been robbed.

Sigh... where to even start with Ulta. I have such a love/hate relationship with this store. On one hand, they carry a lot of stuff I love and sometimes the points do add up and you can get some really good deals. But on the other hand... good luck actually finding anything to buy because everything is always out of stock! There's always a truck coming on thursday, but I have seen some brands be out of stock for 3 months on end. They claim its the ordering system's fault, that it's automated and doesn't always order enough product. Okay... fair enough... but to that I say- FIX THE ORDERING SYSTEM! Just from these reviews there are clearly lots of customers who are driven to buy elsewhere by the consistently bare shelves, and a smart business would at least try to fix that. And can I please crucify whoever made the brilliant decision to only order maybe 3 of each color for high-demand collections like NYX Wicked Lippies and Macarons?! Yes, I DO love missing out on these just because some higher-up doesn't think more than 3 people per town want teal lipstick. (Hint: WE ALL WANT TEAL LIPSTICK)

8 out of 10 times I leave empty-handed and angry because everything I came in too buy was either sold out or else the one item left in the color I want has been opened(and btw if you do this, please go die in a dumpster fire). I know the employees can't be everywhere at once, but for how much they stalk you all over the store waiting for you to steal something you'd think they could do just a *wee* better job making sure people don't rip open sealed products.

This isn't just my local store either, this is every store I've been to from TX to OK to WI. The ones in WI were better, the one near my house in TX is tolerable(though often chronically out of stock too), but the one in central OK where I used to live is a nightmare. The shelves look like a pipe bomb just went off, most items are opened, and the employees don't even TRY to disguise the fact that they're watching your hands the whole time. One time the manager followed me all over the store and then said to the cashier- as I was standing RIGHT there getting ready to pay- that she didn't see me take anything but she's going to check the cameras later anyway. Just... seriously?

They mark up the drugstore items too- Maybelline lipstick is $6 at Walmart and almost $8 here- and they seem to make up the rules for the sales as they go along. There have been lots of times when I try to buy prestige polish on one of their BOGO sales but when I get to the register, mysteriously none of the brands I want are included in the sale even though they're literally listed right there on the sign. "Oh, uh- you can't mix brands" Sigh... okay, whatever.

Its a rare occasion when they don't put up a fight over items that ring up wrong either. Display tag says $4.99, it rings up $6.99, and they will stand there and argue with me until I drag them over to the display and show them the price. Then it's always "Oh, okay". No apology, just a begrudging price correction and an "omg, go away" attitude.

Don't even get me started on the salon either. I've gotten 2 haircuts there by 2 different stylists, and both times my hair came out uneven, too short, and completely different than what I asked for. I don't cut my hair very often and I don't usually have lot of money to spend when I do, so a $45 salon haircut is a major splurge. I should NOT have to go home and fix it myself >:[

Sigh... I dunno. I keep going there mainly for NYX, but this store just frustrates me to no end.

Popular Other Products