ULTA Ulta- whole store

ULTA Ulta- whole store

3.0

on 9/1/2006 1:17:00 PM

I'd never had an experience with Ulta until they opened a store in my city late last year. Generally speaking, I love it. I can't pass the store without going in & usually find what I need & so much more. I've had good experiences with their salon as well. However, I have found that occassionally the prices that they advertise in their send-outs are a bit different than what you actually get in the store. For example, I recently saw an ad for an item that said it was on sale for $5, but when I got to the store I found that the deal was actually "3 for $15". So while technically the item itself was still $5, the ad didn't mention that you had to buy 3 of them to get that deal. Just a little annoyance, but otherwise 1 of my favorite places to shop.

on 12/18/2006 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I LOVE ULTA! I love the fact that you can buy high end & drugstore products in the same place. They also carry brands that you can't get anywhere else like Archipelago Botanicals and Japonesque. Ulta is the only place where I can find Archipelago Botanicals candles in my area. They have awesome discounts! I bought a $18 Primal Elements candle for $6.50. Sometimes I go in there and I come out with a huge bag for half the price. I'm always astonished at how much I save! Their customer service can't be beat! Returns are super easy. ULTA IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE STORE! Everyone needs to go to one Ulta store if they are in the area of one since I know they're limited. Ulta has a club card program where if you spend a certain amount of money, you get to pick your free gifts, which is really cool.

on 4/1/2007 2:07:00 AM

I LOVE ULTA!

on 4/1/2007 11:44:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I too really, really like Ulta. I have one within about 15-20 min. of me over by a Mall and everytime I'm over there I have to check it out. They put out circulars in the Sunday paper pretty often for like $3.50 off a $15.00 purchase for example and I take advantage of those. I love the fact that you can buy high end to low end makeup, hair supplies, hair color, appliances and fragrance all in one place. As someone else mentioned, you can sign up to receive $$ off when you reach a certain amount. Ulta is the only place that I can find the particular shade of Garnier Nutrisse that I like (and I live in a very metropolitan area with a CVS, Walmart or Walgreens within minutes....none of them carry that shade). I also like Ulta's own brand of makeup, most especially their eye shadows that are frequently buy one/get one free. If you don't have one near you, they do have a website.

on 4/1/2007 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I too love Ulta. With coupons like "20% off one item," "20% off your entire purchase," "$5 off a minimum $10 purchase," and "$3.50 off a minimum $10 purchase," you can really save a decent amount of money without spending a lot. Usually the 20% off a product or a purchase do not apply to "prestige" cosmetics and hair care lines. This includes BE, Too Faced and similar midrange cosmetic lines. However, before Christmas, there are some 20% off courpons that apply to everything in store. I wish these coupons came around more often! I do find that Ulta's prices are generally higher than Target and Wal-mart's prices. I recently bought a Neutrogena Scrub that retailed at Target for $4.49, but I believe it cost $5.19 at Ulta. However, it cost $4.41 on sale at Ulta, which just proves that the sales at Ulta can be worth catching, especially if you're already there. Ulta's own brand of cosmetics runs some great deals, like "buy two, get one free" and even "buy one, get one free." And I love scouring the clearance bins- OPI nail polish for $0.99? I'm all over that!

The best reason to shop at Ulta are the rewards programs they offer. There are two programs that I have participated in. With the first, you would be placed on different levels depending on how much you spent at Ulta during a specific period. You could then redeem your points at specific times of the year and get a sort of "prize" that was offered for your level. I believe one of the offered rewards on the first level is... a bag of cotton balls. Whoopee! I reached the second level, and got a free bottle of OPI nail polish, which worked for me! The program I'm currently participating in gives you reward points. When you reach a certain amount of points, you can redeem them for dollars off of your purchase. I just used 500 points to get $5 off of my purchase. There are different promotions that Ulta runs, like "750 bonus points with purchase of ___" and that really helps pump up your rewards points amount. If you're already going to be spending money on beauty items available at Ulta, and they aren't much more expensive than those at Target, why not buy them at Ulta and get the points for them?

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I love Ulta, they have a huge range of hair color brands/shades that you don't find in other stores. I also love the salon, have had my hair done there for the last 4-1/2 years and have the best hairdresser!!! My hairdresser did a Redken Chemistry treatment on my hair this last Friday and it feels fabulous.

on 5/14/2007 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I didn't know of Ulta until MUA, and was so happy to discover there was one in my neighborhood! I think of it as a lower-end version of Sephora, although they do carry many mid to high end brands (Smashbox, BE, OPI, Essie, UD) and often have great BOGOF deals on drugstore items. It seems like there's always a $ or % off coupon floating around each week too, so you always save a little too :)

on 5/14/2007 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I think of Ulta as being the distant cousin of Sephora. They have a good mix of brands (low-end to high-end) and my local store has recently revamped, which makes for a better shopping atmosphere. I also love the sales they run, as well as the rewards you get for purchasing there. However, they just don't have all the lines I like to shop from, which means I still have to make the pilgrimage to Sephora several times a year. Oh well--I'm still happy to have Ulta nearby!

on 6/18/2007 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

I have a love hate relationship with ulta. While its a great store that carries the regular and deparment store name brands, offers coupons, and the greatest rewards program (I got a bottle of perfume for having 6 points). I couldnt agree more that its a great store. I do have to tell you the truth behind ulta. After 4 years of my observation I'm going to have to tell you this: They treat their employee like total total crap. I dont want to support a company that doesnt value their employees. My bestfriend used to work there, and she was depressed majority of the time, because that company is not flexible at all. The managers are always getting the run around on their crucitating systems, coupons always have fine print, they dont take anything back without a receipt and customers are angry, a real retail hell hole behind the scene. An employee is constantly walking on eye shells. During the meetings they are told that most theft is done by employees so they carry a clear bag aka all employees are theives, and if an employee wants to get a salon service, they can get bumped from their appt time because they are employees, and if they come on their off day to shop, they are search before they leave ulta. After working for 4 years, my friend got 14cent raise. The average payroll for a cashier is $8.00 and the average cost of a manager is $10-12 with alot of responsibility without the compensation. The head manager gets $30000. I understand its really normal to get that amount in mid size retail company, bottom line is they dont treat their employees right with constant reminder that they could be fired for anything pity. The employee turnover rate is very high. Overall, its a nifty store that carries variety of things, and a great place to go to during christmas time or wedding season, their Ulta brand makeup is high quality, and point rewards systems is worth checking out but be sure that if you get bad customer service, or low morale, employees are product of their environment, they are really shitty pity and rude beyond believe, thats because its just the way they get treated by management. EDIT: BAD BAD BAD store to shop, Ulta has gotten worse since I wrote my last review, the associates are offensive, and rude, and do not help, and I bet they are still treated badly; Its bet its still like slave work for $8/hr. I went there recently, and the manager was at the cash register and I swear she was DRUNK, literally wasted, when she was talking to her employees. Yikes!

on 6/18/2007 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I used to think of Ulta as my emergency backup crack den, but actually, I go there much more than I go to Sephora, which used to be my #1 crack den. I don't feel as guilty when I splurge at Ulta, because I always get a good deal with my coupon plus the sales, and of course all the drugstore stuff they carry alongside the high-end lines. I never had any problems with their customer service or policies. I will add that the Ulta that opened in my neck of the woods was not nearly as big as I expected; back in the late 90's I recalled reading about the Ulta in Las Vegas carrying 50,000 products or something outrageous like that. Not so out here in So. Cal. Oh well, it's still awesome.

Popular Other Products