ULTA Ulta- whole store

ULTA Ulta- whole store

2.6

on 9/7/2016 11:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Now that I live in the suburbs and there is no convenient Sephora around - I go to Ulta about once every 4-6 weeks. Also I have a tween/teen daughter so we are there more often for her and her friends. I have not used the hair or skin care salons - but for cosmetics and beauty tools it's fine. Lines are super long around the holidays.

on 5/18/2016 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

For its $3.50 coupon, Ulta has raised the minimum purchase a whopping $5. You now have to buy $15 worth of items instead of $10.

Their original coupon was the one thing that made me shop at Ulta in the first place. Their prices are much higher than Target and Walmart but the $3.50 off $10+ would bring me in there. When they had 40% off sales, I would stack it with the brand coupons and the Ulta coupon and get some great deals for makeup and skin care. I became a regular customer because of this.

The 50% increase for the coupon's minimum purchase takes away the niche they had and the reason for me to shop there anymore. Bad move, Ulta.

on 4/1/2016 5:08:00 AM

Customer service is hit or miss. I would really love it if the cashiers would tell me I have points about to expire. But most of the time, when I am at the cash register, I feel like I am in a drugstore, except that my local Walgreens has friendlier and more helpful cashiers. I blame it on Ulta corporate culture. Any company with great customer service trains employees to be customer-oriented. Oh well, there are plenty of other places for me to spend my hard-earned money.

on 7/16/2015 12:06:00 AM

Love my local store but have gotten to where I hate shopping them on-line. Every time I order on-line I receive damaged product, all due to their poor shipping preparations. Seriously, how can someone pack delicate eyeshadows, blushes and powders in a box without wrapping in protective bubble wrap, adding packing peanuts or some other type of packing material to keep my anticipated purchases safe in shipping. Four orders in a row I have received damaged products and quite frankly am tired of dealing with the poorly trained customer service personnel and having to explain and justify my return and request a replacement.

I will say that Sephora.com has them beat hands down. I get my purchases in 2-3 days, items are carefully packed and in the event that something is damaged I get a replacement shipped overnight. Nothing is more irritating than waiting 2 weeks to get our purchases from Ulta, receiving damaged items, dealing with getting a replacement (which these orders have to go through an approval process that takes a week) and then waiting another 2 weeks while they ship via snail mail. It is extremely irritating when your replacement item arrives in a thin bulk envelope and it too is damaged.

Yes my preference is to shop my local store, where I am treated like a rock star due to my purchase habits and makeup, skincare and hair care addiction. But there are brands that are only available on-line so I have no choice but to roll the dice, order on-line and keep my fingers crossed that the person prepping my order for shipment actually has some pride in their job and wants to perform it properly. Nine times out of ten I am left disappointed and have to deal with returns.

on 2/6/2015 9:30:00 PM

Had the exact same experience as reviewer swimblock. Tried to return an online purchase with the packing slip, was told I needed the original shipping confirmation email. I didn't even have the email anymore. It was a while later until I got back there, by this time it was over 60 days and I could only get store credit. Before I went back, I read the instructions on website for returning online purchases to store. It does say the packing slip can't be used, that you need the email, and it tells you how to bring it up through your Ulta account. So, I give them half a pass. On one hand, it was my error for not reading the return policy beforehand. On the other hand, they should make returns easy like other stores and not make us jump through hoops. Why not print the pricing information on the packing slip? I usually have to ask for my free gift with purchase if there is one, and I'm usually not informed if I have points reward dollars available and asked if I would like to use them toward purchase. The Ulta's near me are all clean and well organized. For the most part, the staff is pleasant and moderately helpful, though not very knowledgeable overall.

on 1/15/2015 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Ulta is somewhat of a necessary evil for me, since they're the only store in my area (that I know of) that carries certain products and brands (like NYX). My two biggest pet peeves: 1) many of the employees are frequently apathetic. It depends on who is there on any given day. And they are very serious about watching you, I can attest! And 2) (this is my biggest pet peeve) the testers are often missing -- or several perfectly good items, even several of one kind (like one particular color of lipstick or eyeshadow), have been tested by customers, rendering them useless for purchase. I realize this latter pet peeve is not necessarily the store's fault, but I would expect them to monitor this situation and ensure that testers are always available, even if that means compensating for theft of testers (yuck) by ordering extra stock. And speaking of ordering stock, rarely do I find what I came to purchase. They are ALWAYS out of stock on things and telling me that their "truck is coming on Thursday." When I return on Friday, I always find that what I want STILL hasn't been received, and it goes on and on this way forever. :-(

on 5/23/2013 1:04:00 PM

A new Ulta sprouted up near our community and though I had heard of them I had never been in one of their stores, I had to check it out immediately! The store is huge, clean and organized, the SA are very nice and don't hover. I like that Ulta also carries the cheaper brands, being the bargain hunter I am, sometimes I just don't want to pay $20.00 for a mascara! I do feel the staff at Sephora is more in the know when it comes to the lines they carry though. I don't like that they don't do perfume samples, I love that Sephora gives out perfume samples, but some of the Sephoras do not carry some of the scents I want to try out and Ulta does (I decide on perfumes over a 2-3 day span). All in all, I do like the store but I like Sephora best.

on 5/12/2013 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

If Ulta weren't the only place around that carried LORAC and Mario Badescu, I would never go in this store.

It's bright and clean and nicely organized but most of the stuff is a pile of junk. And don't get me started on SAs who don't understand the meaning of the word "sensitive skin." Maybe I'm being sensitive but when I say I have rosacea, any SA working in a skincare store should know that they shouldn't push glycolic acid products on me.

The prospect of salon hair car products was intriguing until I discovered that they don't sell the two brands I use -- L'Oreal Professionel and Kerastase.

on 2/20/2013 3:04:00 PM

I ordered from Ulta for years but in this day and age when companies are vying for your patronage I simply cannot imagine any place offering customer service as bad as Ulta so I will not continue to order from them. Actually, it's not just bad...it's nonexistent. You can find the products they offer here at the same price or less at many other sites on the net so there's no reason to put up with bad customer service. Even their points program is a joke compared to what you can get from other companies. Do yourself a favor, buy elsewhere. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE NET.

on 5/8/2012 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I go to Ulta only when I want a specific item and have coupons. In and out. It's nothing to write home about. I hate the re-do of the store. I prefer to search for things by brand, not type. SA are ok. I rarely deal with them. Depends on when you go. I have met a few who were very nice. Other times, didn't know what the heck I was looking for.

Popular Other Products