benefit Cosmetics Some Kind-A Gorgeous

benefit Cosmetics Some Kind-A Gorgeous
SomeKindaGorgeousBeneFit Some Kind-A Gorgeous

3.0

on 12/11/2006 9:51:00 PM

Just shoot me. I can't believe I'm about to write a glowing review of a BeneFit product, much less a BeneFit foundation. I have tried items from this line off and on since its inception, and I've never found a winner. Until now. I got a sample of this foundation as a swap extra, and I tried it one night before bed just out of morbid curiousity--just to see how truly god-awful it was. I poked it with my index finger to try to ascertain its consistency--was it gooey, a clumpy gel, nasty, viscous cream...what sort of horrible mess might BeneFit have concocted this time? I settled on applying it with my Armani Blender Brush and stroked little, hesitant swipes across my NW25 cheeks. Hey, this stuff doens't suck! In disbelief, I loaded up my brush with more foundation and applied a full face of the stuff. The consistency was a smooth, creme to powder with a gel-like, silicone slip. It blended like a dream and the coverage, while light as air, was absolutely lovely. I even used it on my pernicious dark undereye circles. My whole face looked like my skin but better--smoother, more even-toned and glowy. I tried it the next morning, sure that it would turn green or blue or orange after a few hours' wear, but ten hours later my face still looked flawless. I can't believe it. I'm going to have to buy this product--this BENEFIT product! Maybe only the full-size product sucks? I'll let you know. Update 12/18/06: I bought the full size yesterday after burning through my deluxe sample. It's still perfect on my skin. I actually took it off the day I bought it to try the new GA "Shaping" Foundation, and I couldn't wait to get my Some Kind-A Gorgeous back on that side of my face. It's so natural looking. I'm hooked.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Cute packaging.
Cute idea.

Horrible makeup.

More cake than a bakery.
Greasier than a burger-joint deep-fryer.
A T-Zone you need ice-skates to navigate.
More pimples than a junior Homecoming dance.
Super fast and orange oxidisation that puts the oomph into Oompa Loompa.

Really? BeneFit. I am very disappointed.
Terrible, terrible grease like pore clogging substance.
I really wouldn't advise it, not unless you want that greasy orange broken out look.

You're better off rubbing your face with low-end dollar store concealer stick that's been diluted with crisco.

on 6/26/2007 12:37:00 PM

They said this compliments every complexion, but that'd be complete bull pucky. I looked like a greasy Oompa Loompa after using this. It was just horrible. Save your $$$ and look elsewhere, ladies. This stuff is Some Kind-A Fugly.

I did NOT want to like "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," let alone LOVE it, due to its high price tag ($29). Unfortunately, I'm smitten.

I received this as a "mini" in the BeneFit "Tan About Town" value kit, along with a mini "Hoola" brozing powder and "BadGal" mascara.

I was pretty sure the mini would be too dark for me, as I have a light skin tone (never MAC color matched, so I can't help you there). So, I decided to test "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" on a day when I knew I wouldn't be leaving the house to see how it applies, type of coverage, and finish on my combination skin.

I began with moisturizer, then BeneFit's "Dr. Feelgood" on my oily forehead, and Smashbox "Photo Finish Primer" on the rest of my face. I applied "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" with my synthetic flat-top buffer brush (which was somewhat challenging, as the diameter of the brush head is larger than the diameter of the mini "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," but I persevered!)

BeneFit advertises "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" as a "foundation faker" giving *sheer* coverage. Therefore, I think reviews scoring the product down for giving minimal coverage are unfair. The product did what it's designed to do; it evened out my skintone while leaving my skin feeling soft, with a demi-matte finish. I'm lucky - aside from a few broken capillaries on my cheeks and dark circles under my eyes, my skintone is fairly even. No age spots, yet....

It turned out the medium shade was just perfect for my skintone, BTW.

I found "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is buildable. After waiting a minute for the first layer to set, I was able to add a second layer to my cheeks - which covered those broken capillaries completely.

Next I covered my dark circles with BeneFit's "Erase Paste," swept some blusher on my cheeks, and finished off with a dusting of "Hoola" bronzing powder. Voila!

My skin looked fabulous. As I get older, I've begun to realize I get a more natural, radiant look by using thin layers of multiple products, instead of one application of a full-coverage product. With "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," I don't have to worry about the product settling into fine lines, or looking cakey.

"Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is an oil-free product. For those who claim it is "greasy," that's not oil...it's the silicones. If your skin can't tolerate 'cones, "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" may not be for you. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.

I also would not apply this product with a sponge. "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is expensive, and sponges soak up far too much product. The synthetic flat-top buffer brush I used worked perfectly, with very little waste, and gave my skin an airbrushed finish.

Despite its cost, now that I've found my HG foundation, I can justify the cost because I know I can stop buying and trying other products that may not work as well, *and* I know I'll use up every last bit of this every time I buy it.

EDIT: While I still think "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" is a great foundation, cost is always a factor with me. I will gladly pay the price for any product that works IF no comparable product exists at a lower price-point that will give me the same results.

While browsing CVS the other day, I decided to just see if any of the drugstore brands offer a similar cream-to-powder foundation product. I came across the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation", which is offered in a shade (Medium Beige) that is a dupe to the "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" in Medium. The price for the Milani is 8.29 at my CVS, which works out to 29.00/oz for the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" versus 85.00/oz for "Some Kind-a Gorgeous." I've tested the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" against the "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" on my skin, and the Milani won. So, unless Milani discontinues the "Smooth Finish Foundation," I will be purchasing it from now on, instead of "Some Kind-a Gorgeous." You may see my full review of "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" here on MakeupAlley.

I took off 1 lippie from my original review of "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" ONLY because I found a product at a lower price-point I feel performs just as well as "Some Kind-a Gorgeous."

on 8/31/2006 6:30:00 PM

So I was browing on the Sephora website the other day and came across this. What can I say, I'm a sucker for new make-up so I went ahead and bought it. I was intrigued by the one-shade-fits-all claim. Benefit is right on the money with this one... it glides on like silk and gives your skin a flaweless finish, I just loved that part of it! My skin felt so natural and light, just like wearing no makeup at all. I had a nice natural glow that wasn't too shiny and not too matte. It was perfect! The only problem is that the shade is just a tad too dark for my skin. I have moderately fair skin and I was surprised it didn't work because Benefit claims that this shade fits "most" skintones. Well, I think if you have anything other than a medium skintone, this shade won't work. Oooh, if only they had more shades, this would be my new HG foundation!! Please BeneFit...make more shades for this one! One shade does NOT fit all! I sent this one back, but I really wanted to be able to keep it!

I'm curious to see what other people have to say about this product and if the shade works for them.

on 9/9/2012 11:04:00 PM

Not a big fan of this product. When I first tried it on, I was amazed by the silky smooth finish and the cream to powder transition. It's like a magic and I was hooked. But after using it for a month, I found myself rarely reaching for it in the morning. And here is why:
- The silky smooth finish failed to impress after a while because I feel like I was putting a big blob of silicon on my face in the morning. It did not feel "light", but rather I feel like my skin and pores are completely covered and they couldn't breath.
- The case is cute but the applicator is very thin and flimsy. After a while, it started to tear and break.
- It smells like crayons
- I found it hard to build up coverage. It offers a light coverage, but every time I tried to build up more, it always ends up looking cakey and greasy.
I never finished using mine (only used about 1/4), and sadly it will remain at the bottom of my makeup drawer for the foreseeable future. I have never been a fan of cream to powder foundation, and I am writing this one off as yet another failed exploration.

Dont let the cute packaging fool you especially with Benefit Cosmetics. They have a lot of good products that are worth the money, but with products like this, it makes me wonder how they stay in business. The product is very unsanitary and gets pretty gross-looking after you have used it a few times with the sponge that lives underneath the product. The product actually doesnt last too long since you have to reapply it several times per day, and at only .34 ounces, its definitely not worth the price. A 1 oz foundation, like one of my most favorite foundations, Boots No7 Intelligent Balance Mousse Foundation, goes on sale for around $11 bucks, and it works much better!

Pros: Umm.. the mirror that comes inside the compact is cute, I guess.

Cons: Just another cute product by Benefit. It looks okay for about 2 minutes, then it starts to look like you just ate KFC in about 105 degrees..greasy, oily.. and what do you end up doing? You grab the sponge and you pat more product over your oil, and it all transfers onto the sponge and lives there for the remainder of the products days. Not so sanitary. This product is available in only two shades. I broke out from using this product and there are NO Benefits to using this product.. no vitamins, minerals, antioxidants.. but did I mention it had a cool mirror?

Oily skinned ladies beware with this!! I am combo skin, some dry patches and oily t-zone, but a lot more oily with the super hot weather/summer. Firstly this is really oily, and goes on oily. I was shiny rather than 'glowy' after 20 mins, and thats with just watching tv at home- i dread to think the effect of running around on tubes/university/work all day! I then put some powder on over the top, a sheer loose one, with i never use as i hate the very matte look and powdery look. But i had to cus nothing else was guna keep the shine at bay! After a few hours in the sun, i looked cakey and 'made up'- not the look i was going for with a 'foundation faker'! It also got all over my phone when i used my mobile phone. Im light-meduim complexion and the shade was great, really blended in well but overall im sure there are tons better TM's out there then this crap- lancome aqua fusion is great!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This stuff is pretty nice. It is one-color-fits-most, and it is very sheer so it blends in nicely which makes it very forgiving for different skin colors. It is a creamy beige-apricot color that is sheer enough to work on most light and medium skin colors. If you are ultra-pale Snow-White white, then this might be a bit too dark for you, and if you are very dark skinned it may be a bit too light for you. But for most light and medium skin colors it should work nicely. "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" goes on very creamy and then dries to a soft satiny-powder finish. It looks super natural. It somehow melts into skin and looks like your skin but better, unlike typical foundations which leave an obvious "make-up" finish on your skin. After I apply "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" I follow it with a light dusting of loose powder, and it really makes for a pretty finish on my skin. Very nice.

As the reviewer below said, I'm just not understanding the hate for this! I love it and have repurchased twice.
Okay, so the formula is a little confusing - i get that. It feels rather oily, especially if you swatch it with your finger...yet despite that, it's actually oil-free.
I use my SKG in two different ways - firstly as a lightweight, sheer foundation with a dusting of powder over the top to set it (yes, you WILL need to set it, otherwise you will look shiny, regardless of skin type!) and secondly, as a primer underneath another foundation (this helps neutralize my face and eliminate any redness or discoloration and just general seems to make my foundation go on better and lasts much longer.

My one bit of advice to you, and this is what turned me in to a convert - ditch the sponge! Apply it with a stippling brush - I swear you'll see a ton of difference!
The sponge just eats up the product and doesn't seem to transfer properly on to your face at all xo