benefit Cosmetics Some Kind-A Gorgeous

benefit Cosmetics Some Kind-A Gorgeous
SomeKindaGorgeousBeneFit Some Kind-A Gorgeous

3.4

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

No sir, I don't like it. You'd be better off wearing a BB Cream to achieve the effect that this product is supposed to give. And what in the world is up with the awful smell?

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using this product on and off since it came out. I want to stop liking it but I can't. It seems to me at my age, this type of product is ideal for aging dry skin. It's not a foundation or an SPF, it's a finisher. A tinted moisturizer that works well and travels well. I love that I read a review here about a drug store dupe... I am going to have to try it myself. Love this stuff.

on 8/5/2012 10:32:00 AM

Awful stuff. I wanted to like it but it was cakey for me also and they don't make a color close enough to my skin tone. Will never repurchase. I took it back to Sephora, just bought the $10 size to try it.

I did NOT want to like "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," let alone LOVE it, due to its high price tag ($29). Unfortunately, I'm smitten.

I received this as a "mini" in the BeneFit "Tan About Town" value kit, along with a mini "Hoola" brozing powder and "BadGal" mascara.

I was pretty sure the mini would be too dark for me, as I have a light skin tone (never MAC color matched, so I can't help you there). So, I decided to test "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" on a day when I knew I wouldn't be leaving the house to see how it applies, type of coverage, and finish on my combination skin.

I began with moisturizer, then BeneFit's "Dr. Feelgood" on my oily forehead, and Smashbox "Photo Finish Primer" on the rest of my face. I applied "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" with my synthetic flat-top buffer brush (which was somewhat challenging, as the diameter of the brush head is larger than the diameter of the mini "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," but I persevered!)

BeneFit advertises "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" as a "foundation faker" giving *sheer* coverage. Therefore, I think reviews scoring the product down for giving minimal coverage are unfair. The product did what it's designed to do; it evened out my skintone while leaving my skin feeling soft, with a demi-matte finish. I'm lucky - aside from a few broken capillaries on my cheeks and dark circles under my eyes, my skintone is fairly even. No age spots, yet....

It turned out the medium shade was just perfect for my skintone, BTW.

I found "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is buildable. After waiting a minute for the first layer to set, I was able to add a second layer to my cheeks - which covered those broken capillaries completely.

Next I covered my dark circles with BeneFit's "Erase Paste," swept some blusher on my cheeks, and finished off with a dusting of "Hoola" bronzing powder. Voila!

My skin looked fabulous. As I get older, I've begun to realize I get a more natural, radiant look by using thin layers of multiple products, instead of one application of a full-coverage product. With "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," I don't have to worry about the product settling into fine lines, or looking cakey.

"Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is an oil-free product. For those who claim it is "greasy," that's not oil...it's the silicones. If your skin can't tolerate 'cones, "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" may not be for you. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.

I also would not apply this product with a sponge. "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is expensive, and sponges soak up far too much product. The synthetic flat-top buffer brush I used worked perfectly, with very little waste, and gave my skin an airbrushed finish.

Despite its cost, now that I've found my HG foundation, I can justify the cost because I know I can stop buying and trying other products that may not work as well, *and* I know I'll use up every last bit of this every time I buy it.

EDIT: While I still think "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" is a great foundation, cost is always a factor with me. I will gladly pay the price for any product that works IF no comparable product exists at a lower price-point that will give me the same results.

While browsing CVS the other day, I decided to just see if any of the drugstore brands offer a similar cream-to-powder foundation product. I came across the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation", which is offered in a shade (Medium Beige) that is a dupe to the "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" in Medium. The price for the Milani is 8.29 at my CVS, which works out to 29.00/oz for the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" versus 85.00/oz for "Some Kind-a Gorgeous." I've tested the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" against the "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" on my skin, and the Milani won. So, unless Milani discontinues the "Smooth Finish Foundation," I will be purchasing it from now on, instead of "Some Kind-a Gorgeous." You may see my full review of "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" here on MakeupAlley.

I took off 1 lippie from my original review of "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" ONLY because I found a product at a lower price-point I feel performs just as well as "Some Kind-a Gorgeous."

on 4/3/2012 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This product has come as a great surprise to me. I bought it because of the good reviews I read but I must admit I wasn't completely convinced I would liked it. However, I was very nicely surprised when I put it on. The coverage is buildable to the point that you can choose between a hint of foundation and full coverage. It is completely invisible and it achieves the perfect balance between satin and mat. I have oily skin and I'm used to foundations changing colour and texture after a while, but this one didn't fade or change at all after quite a few hours of wear in warm weather. I bought the Medium shade and it's just perfect for my natural complexion. I am really impressed. The only con? The price, as I think it is quite expensive considering it is not going to last me several months but far less.

on 1/7/2012 11:10:00 AM

I totally agree with the last reviewer. Horrible... simply horrible. Very greasy and no coverage. I don't know why I bought this. I can't even believe they sell it! Don't buy this.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is perfect for someone with dry and/or aging skin. It gives coverage without looking cakey.

I got the regular shade in a set with highbeam and some other sample sizes a while back and really liked it. Yes, some people will think it's too greasy, but for my combo skin it gave me somewhat of a dewy finish. I just dabbed it on with my fingers and it covered most of what I wanted covered and didn't sink into my pores or emphasize lines. I liked that it covered stuff up without feeling like wearing a foundation. The only problem I had was that it was too dark. So that's why I won't repurchase. I did purchase it in the lite, which I wasn't as happy with, but my review of that is elsewhere.

on 10/8/2010 6:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Uncomfortably greasy feel. Slides off, so nada for coverage. I used to like Benefit, but lately the products are much more miss than hit and way overpriced for what you get.
Packaging was cute tho.

on 8/15/2010 6:29:00 PM

I have quite good skin (though I say so myself!) and don't need a lot of coverage. I have only just started using foundation regularly (I'm 45) and like this one as it is quick and easy, and doesn't require powder on top. It evens my skin tone, especially around the nostrils and mouth where I have some redness now.

Finish is demi-matte, fairly sheer.

The sponge sits underneath the foundation, that flips up so you can get the sponge.

It seems pricey for what it is, there isn't a lot of product but as I don't use a lot it is lasting a while. For girls who like to wear foundation every day, and put more on, I don't think it would last more than a month or two.

I am Asian and use the original, fair version. Colour match is good.