L'Artisan Fragrances Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Black
No Image

on 6/16/2006 12:20:00 AM

Very artistic, rewarding take on vanilla. Using all parts of the vanilla plant plus amber, this goes through 3 stages on my skin: First it's incredibly round and fruity, which caught me off guard because nowhere are fruits listed in the notes. Then the amber starts peeking through, ushering in a rather dark, smoky accord. Then comes my favorite part, the drydown, in which lovely, flirty vanilla orchid comes into play. This is truly vanilla for grown-ups, not girls. And the EDT formulation is welcome in this case, as a stronger Vanilia might have been too cloying to wear. Decant-, and possibly bottle-worthy.

I try not to read at other's reviews before I review a product but for this one, I can't help to wonder if I'm reviewing the same L'Artisan Vanille perfume. This is not foody, sweet type of vanilla fragrance. This vanilla fragrance is very flowery to me. I detect the heady jasmine right away with a melange of vanilla and musk on the background. The jasmine is so heady, it gives me headache. I can only compare this to Chantecaille Frangipane fragrance, which is a bouquet of white flower with vanilla base. I'm not sure if this is my kind of vanilla, I much prefer vanilla with woodsy base like tonka beans, labdanum, or sandalwood. But for those who love a non-foody, non-sweet vanilla, this is a very good choice.

on 8/20/2004 2:30:00 AM

Very incense-y! I cannot detect much vanilla in this. It's very smoky and strange - not something I'd wear.

Mmm... smells like warm vanilla goodness! *Not* your average sugary/cake batter/foody vanilla scent at all. It's a sophisticated, smokey, sandalwoody, and scrumptious skin scent on me. When my decant runs out, I'm definitely going to get more!

on 1/10/2003 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Not your usual vanilla, that's for sure. It's more of a smokey floral-vanilla, although I detect a bit of fruitiness in the very final drydown. Interesting. At first the smokeyness really seems to occlude the sweetness of the vanilla... the smokey quiality seems to last to the final drydown, but seems to come and go in intensity. There is no sweet, caramel-like naunce to this vanilla... it is almost muted. The floral notes seem to come in as a middle note, giving a freshness to the fragrance, since the smokey quality is a bit overbearing. Finally at the base, the smokey qaulity is just a nuance, and the fruity note and the softened vanilla are what predominates. Not my favorite, but I can see how this can work with a lot of other fragrances, and due to its complexity, I give it a 4.
update: what was I thinking? This is the most versatile scent... I layer this scent with just about everything, and it's so wonderful! Gives such a wonderful nuance to simpler scents. Wonderful! continued >>

Popular Fragrances