L'Artisan Fragrances Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
No Image

3.4

Notes: ylang ylang, vanilla bean, amber and sandalwood.

This fragrance starts with an accord made of vanilla and ylang ylang. Reminiscent of Vanilla Galante, this fragrance is sweeter and heavier than the Hermessence. The two notes, spice and floral, are well-blended and harmonise perfectly. Underneath the two note I detect a trace of amber which gives the fragrance depth and a slight saltiness which boosts by contrast the vanilla note. As the fragrance progresses, it sheds most of the vanilla note and all there remains is ylang ylang framed by amber and a touch of vanilla. Now rather a floral fragrance, it is soft and feminine, perfect to wear on a spring or early autumn evening. As the fragrance dries down, it gets fuller and softer, the floral note slowly fades and amber and sandalwood characterise this last stage. Lasts for six hours on my skin.

on 3/15/2010 3:29:00 AM

I had very high expectations about this one, which unfortunately didn't turn true. This is a nice ambery-vanilla on my skin, which is lighter and less sweet than any vanilla I've tried. It's also the least interesting one. On my skin, I don't detect any smoky note, it's so innocent, it's almost childish. The positive thing is that it's so light it can be easily be worn during summer and it's unobtrusive. Having recently tried Felanilla, my vote definitely goes to that one or PdN Vanille Tonka or even SL Un Bois Vanille which are both smokier than this one.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

About eight years ago I was perfume sampling at the fragrance counters when an associate sprayed this fragrance on a paper strip. She didn't tell me what it was, which is imporant to understand because when I smelled it, I got a smoky vanillic-AMBER floral. Very warm and vanillic, but with an equal hit of the spicy bite and smoke of nutmeg, ylang ylang, amber and wood. Had I known what the fragrance was called, I would have been surprised because it's not anything like a simple vanilla fragrance.
Let me be even more clear - being a vanilla fan will NOT qualify you to like Vanilia. There is too much amber, ylang ylang and wood standing center stage in this to let Vanilia be all about vanilla. Vanilia is an abstract vanilla, not something immediately recognizable as vanilla like the milder gourmand vanillas we've all come to know. This is closer to Guerlain's Shalimar (although still very different than Shalimar) than it is to BBW's Warm Vanilla Sugar.
And I love it. :) I'm on my 2nd 100ml bottle. It's great when I want to wear something warm and snuggly. I can see this one worn in the summer because it's not heavy and doesn't have a tremendous throw, but I only wear it in the cooler months - that's when I prefer spicier scents. continued >>

on 10/8/2007 11:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Without a doubt this is one of the most intriguing vanilla fragrances I have ever smelled. It starts out soft, slightly woody-smokey and within a few hours it transforms itself into the perfect skin scent. A vanilla that stays close to my skin, a wonderful balance of cozy and sensual qualities. Not foody, cloying or overly sweet, yet ultra feminine. The best part is the staying power, usually on my rather dry skin scents tend to disappear quite quickly, but I put Vanilia on 7 hours ago and it is still there. I am delighted I found this gem and will most likely repurchase. $85 for 1.7 oz/50 ml, $125 for 3.4 oz/100 ml.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have a tiny decant of this and I have sure enjoyed it. I just don't know if I like it so much to pay the price for a full bottle of it, though- I need to be picky now. This is a very pretty, quiet, sleeper "skin scent" type of vanilla that is smoky and woody. Not foody at all, not too sweet. I know that term skin scent gets used a lot, but this surely seems like one to me, without being a musk fragrance. Very nice. I may break down and buy a big decant.

Spicy! It's vanilla with an edge. In the beginning, Vanilia is greener than most vanillas, keeping it from becoming nauseatingly sweet. The greenness doesn't last, however, and then it's spiced-up vanilla milk. If L'Artisans lasted longer on me, I might be tempted to buy a full bottle. But I don't love it enough to just look at it on my dresser, because what would be the point of putting it on? It's gone within the hour.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Well, I did not get the "smokiness" that many others did, but I didn't get any "vanilla" either! This scent is not bad, it just has no hint of vanilla whatsoever (at least on me). It reminds me of something I wore in the '80s but can't quite place. Glad I sent for a sample instead of taking a chance on it. For my money, I'll stick to L'Aromarine's Vanille. Sweet (but not overly so) and it smells like VANILLA!

on 5/6/2003 11:28:00 AM

I find this fragrance to be totally unremarkable. I can't even describe it as pleasant. And I would never pay $95 dollars for a bottle of it. Thank goodness I got this as a sample. I really wanted a lovely, spicy vanilla. This is just a nasty, head-achey, cheap smelling floral.

A subtle, creamy floral. Unfortunately, the floral note is a little sickly in my nose. I was surprised at how strong the floral note was to me; I think I was expecting vanilla tempered by a little spice, but no notable spice...just milky floral tempered by a dash, perhaps, of musk. I'm shocked I didn't really care for this, being a vanilla fan (in all its forms) and a L'Artisan fan. Alas, it's not to be!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Unlike all other Vanilla frag. I have tried. NOt to sweet, or overbearing. Faintly vanilla-lovely sensual dry down. On me, "just right" -like Baby Bear's soup.
An added bonus-my significant other loves it! TRY before you buy. This is a pricey one.

Popular Fragrances