L'Artisan Fragrances Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

No Image

on 11/6/2009 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

After my disappointing experience with Havana Vanille, I moved on to this. For me, it's the vanilla I've been searching for. On my skin, I get plenty of vanilla, but it's very complex. I do pick up, even with my untrained nose, the the amber and spicy notes, as well as a light smoky note--although it's not the ashtray-smoke of Havana Vanille, it's gentle and sexy--and no floral notes, which I loathe. Overall, this is a grown-up, sophisticated vanilla--the kind that will have men nuzzling your neck, not asking you to bake cookies. I applied just a bit this morning and can still smell it more than twelve hours later, although it does stay close to the skin, which I prefer. Perfection (on my weird chemistry), and I think it will work well with my Sabon Amber body oil as well. I'll be getting a full bottle of this!

on 9/3/2009 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

After reading the reviews, I am really surprised. Well, surprised that more people donít like it and a little relieved at the same time. For whatever reason, I find that most of my favorite frags seem to be rated in the low three lippie range at best. I like LíArtisan Vanilia and I like vanilla frags in general. Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille and Laura Mercier Vanille Gourmande are two of my favorites. That said, LíArtisan Vanilia is definitely different. Itís not overly sweet and the amber opening is a tad smoky, as others have noted. The overall feel on my skin is a hushed, creamy ylang-ylang and tonka bean thatís grounded and warmed by what evolves into a delicate, skin amber (more the I Profumi di Firenze Ambra del Nepal variety vs the darker, resinous amber of Ambre Sultan). The notes from the LíArtisan website include ylang-ylang, nutmeg, clove, vanilla and sandalwood. I personally donít get a lot of spice from this, and Iíd venture to say if you like amber, ylang-ylang and (unsweet) vanilla notes, youíll likely be pleased with the sum of its parts.

on 5/10/2009 5:19:00 AM

I had a bottle of this igave away. I LOVE many vanillas but this was just a smoky floral old lady musty dusty vanilla on me, that didnt get any better with time and made me feel like a bowl of potpourri. Really disappointed. Yes it might be more 'grown up' than some other sickly sweet vanillas, but im a grown up and i hate it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

When I first started my perfume obsession about a year ago, this was one of the first samples I ordered. I instantly liked it (even with my then-virgin nose) and was surprised. I fully expected to dislike it due to it's smoky and grown up vanilla descriptions. At that time I was going more for reference than finding a wearable perfume. I happily used up my sample but never ordered more. When I got Perfumes: The Guide, I was shocked to see that it was rated 5 stars, but not shocked that there was no reference to smoke or a grown up vanilla. I had to order more to remember and am glad I did. I completely agree with the candlyfloss description and that it is best rocked with a sunburn and loud music. I will replace the banana float with a beer, tho. That description for me was spot on.

on 9/28/2007 8:06:00 PM

I love Oriental vanilla scents, so antoher one I expected to adore. Purchased a decant on ebay without ever having tried it before, as so many raved about this smokey, dark vanilla . Maybe I got a bad decant or something, but I smelled nothing but vanilla in an astray. I tried and tried to like this, but was to no avail. I think I swapped it.

I love this scent. It's warm, not too sweet, slightly smoky, just beautiful. A very soft and comforting scent. My only gripe is that it has rather poor staying power (but at the same time, I think it contributes to its light, weightless feel). For me, the most beautiful scent I've come across.

on 10/4/2006 4:45:00 PM

Let me start by saying I have never worn vanilla scents because they are usually a cake like, sickening sweet, cloying, plastic mess. I tried this one because some of the reviews I read said that even a non-vanilla lover would like this and much to my surprise they were right. This starts off a little smokey and a touch of sweetness which continues to get more beautiful throughout the drydown. With fall/winter right around the corner I have been wanting a scent with a touch of spice since typically I wear florals. Many of the spicer scents tend to be too heavy or cloying for me but this has just enough spice to be sexy, seductive, mysterious and still feminine while also being a little clean/soapy and floral on me. I can't say enough about my new discovery other than this is definitely full bottle worthy. Honestly, I have never smelled anything like it.

For about 60-90 minutes, this is my HG vanilla scent. In the first hour or so it borders on being too sweet, but then a wonderful--but very subtle--warm, smoky floral vanilla emerges that I just adore. And then it's gone. Can't decide whether a full bottle is worth the investment for that hour of perfection.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

This is a non-sweet Vanila, I think it's a really woody one actually. It definitely doesn't have that coyingly overpowering artificial vanilla (extract) which can be quite a headache. I would say it's quite a unique scent, but it isn't very me, as I would love a little more floral tone to it...then it would be perfect!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

First off...I have never been a vanilla fan. Blame it on The Body Shop's vanilla line way back when in the 80's and 90's, follow that up with the slew of cloyingly sweet vanilla fragrances that flood the fragrance market today. Perhaps because of this, anything vanilla-like in a fragrance just sent me running.

So, you can imagine, that while at the L'Artisan counter positively swooning over Passage d'Enfer and cradling Premier Figuer, I was completely unprepared for the wonderful salesperson to suggest trying Vanilla.

I told her straight off I don't *do* vanilla in fragrance..but she told me that layered with Figurer it gives the fragrance added depth. As long as it is sprayed first and LIGHTLY, I was into it. So..I tried it. Light, and I mean very light application, then a spritz of Figuer...WOW...

Now..I love Figuer all by itself...so I figured, why not try this Vanilla...maybe it isn't so bad after all..I mean, I did buy the 1.7oz bottle. So...this week..every day, been wearing it..and the consensus is...am LOVING it.

Like I have said before, not a vanilla fan..but this vanilla is not overly sweet..it is elegant, it is a bit smoky..but I don't get any "ashtray" vibe at all..and I gotta admit..the amber vibe really puts it notches above any vanilla scent I have tried..with the exception of I Profumi's Ambra del Nepal..I really love that one too.

This Vanilla is classy and wonderful on it's own..plus it does double duty as a base layer for the Figuer..so I gotta give it 5 lippies..very happy I picked it up and gave it a try.

Popular Fragrances