L'Artisan Fragrances Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
No Image

3.8

Notes: ylang ylang, vanilla bean, amber and sandalwood.

This fragrance starts with an accord made of vanilla and ylang ylang. Reminiscent of Vanilla Galante, this fragrance is sweeter and heavier than the Hermessence. The two notes, spice and floral, are well-blended and harmonise perfectly. Underneath the two note I detect a trace of amber which gives the fragrance depth and a slight saltiness which boosts by contrast the vanilla note. As the fragrance progresses, it sheds most of the vanilla note and all there remains is ylang ylang framed by amber and a touch of vanilla. Now rather a floral fragrance, it is soft and feminine, perfect to wear on a spring or early autumn evening. As the fragrance dries down, it gets fuller and softer, the floral note slowly fades and amber and sandalwood characterise this last stage. Lasts for six hours on my skin.

on 1/21/2011 6:16:00 AM

HEAVEN IN A BOTTLE! Why did I only discover it now?! I'm not even a vanilla fan. Thank goodness I was still in time to buy probably the second last bottle left in my country. A dusty, inedible vanilla that is almost equally strongly an amber scent (though a very translucent amber), with an absolutely delightful non-fresh sappiness also (ylang-ylang?), a scent combo I've never, ever come across. So rare to find a not-very-sweet vanilla, and one with added interest that's NOT just random cinnamon-ey spiciness? What a treasure. I would bathe in it and smell of it always if I could. Someone at L'Artisan seriously needs a good head-reading, to discontinue this and give us the very vile Vanille Absolument? For SHAME.

on 5/2/2010 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A few years ago the L'Artisan saleslady in New York gave me about a million samples of this. It was clearly 'the one' perfume for me. I was looking online to order a bottle only to discover it's been discontinued! Does anyone know where I could still find a bottle, either in store or online?

on 11/6/2009 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

After my disappointing experience with Havana Vanille, I moved on to this. For me, it's the vanilla I've been searching for. On my skin, I get plenty of vanilla, but it's very complex. I do pick up, even with my untrained nose, the the amber and spicy notes, as well as a light smoky note--although it's not the ashtray-smoke of Havana Vanille, it's gentle and sexy--and no floral notes, which I loathe. Overall, this is a grown-up, sophisticated vanilla--the kind that will have men nuzzling your neck, not asking you to bake cookies. I applied just a bit this morning and can still smell it more than twelve hours later, although it does stay close to the skin, which I prefer. Perfection (on my weird chemistry), and I think it will work well with my Sabon Amber body oil as well. I'll be getting a full bottle of this!

on 5/10/2009 5:19:00 AM

I had a bottle of this igave away. I LOVE many vanillas but this was just a smoky floral old lady musty dusty vanilla on me, that didnt get any better with time and made me feel like a bowl of potpourri. Really disappointed. Yes it might be more 'grown up' than some other sickly sweet vanillas, but im a grown up and i hate it.

on 5/28/2008 6:41:00 PM

Well I'm definitely in the minority here. Was anxious to try this, but all I personally got out of it was a soapy musk. Uhh...vanilla? Not. Perhaps a slight hint here and there, but this overall was a no-go for me.

I love this scent. It's warm, not too sweet, slightly smoky, just beautiful. A very soft and comforting scent. My only gripe is that it has rather poor staying power (but at the same time, I think it contributes to its light, weightless feel). For me, the most beautiful scent I've come across.

Spicy! It's vanilla with an edge. In the beginning, Vanilia is greener than most vanillas, keeping it from becoming nauseatingly sweet. The greenness doesn't last, however, and then it's spiced-up vanilla milk. If L'Artisans lasted longer on me, I might be tempted to buy a full bottle. But I don't love it enough to just look at it on my dresser, because what would be the point of putting it on? It's gone within the hour.

I try not to read at other's reviews before I review a product but for this one, I can't help to wonder if I'm reviewing the same L'Artisan Vanille perfume. This is not foody, sweet type of vanilla fragrance. This vanilla fragrance is very flowery to me. I detect the heady jasmine right away with a melange of vanilla and musk on the background. The jasmine is so heady, it gives me headache. I can only compare this to Chantecaille Frangipane fragrance, which is a bouquet of white flower with vanilla base. I'm not sure if this is my kind of vanilla, I much prefer vanilla with woodsy base like tonka beans, labdanum, or sandalwood. But for those who love a non-foody, non-sweet vanilla, this is a very good choice.

on 11/9/2004 12:33:00 AM

To be completely honest, not a lot of the vanilla or spice that others have mentioned showed up on me. What I do get is a lot of soapiness. I never thought a vanilla could be clean smelling but this one does! I really like this one but it doesn't last very long.

Popular Fragrances