L'Artisan Parfumeur Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin type : Combination
No Image

3.6

Notes: ylang ylang, vanilla bean, amber and sandalwood.

This fragrance starts with an accord made of vanilla and ylang ylang. Reminiscent of Vanilla Galante, this fragrance is sweeter and heavier than the Hermessence. The two notes, spice and floral, are well-blended and harmonise perfectly. Underneath the two note I detect a trace of amber which gives the fragrance depth and a slight saltiness which boosts by contrast the vanilla note. As the fragrance progresses, it sheds most of the vanilla note and all there remains is ylang ylang framed by amber and a touch of vanilla. Now rather a floral fragrance, it is soft and feminine, perfect to wear on a spring or early autumn evening. As the fragrance dries down, it gets fuller and softer, the floral note slowly fades and amber and sandalwood characterise this last stage. Lasts for six hours on my skin.

on 1/21/2011 6:16:00 AM

HEAVEN IN A BOTTLE! Why did I only discover it now?! I'm not even a vanilla fan. Thank goodness I was still in time to buy probably the second last bottle left in my country. A dusty, inedible vanilla that is almost equally strongly an amber scent (though a very translucent amber), with an absolutely delightful non-fresh sappiness also (ylang-ylang?), a scent combo I've never, ever come across. So rare to find a not-very-sweet vanilla, and one with added interest that's NOT just random cinnamon-ey spiciness? What a treasure. I would bathe in it and smell of it always if I could. Someone at L'Artisan seriously needs a good head-reading, to discontinue this and give us the very vile Vanille Absolument? For SHAME.

on 3/15/2010 3:29:00 AM

I had very high expectations about this one, which unfortunately didn't turn true. This is a nice ambery-vanilla on my skin, which is lighter and less sweet than any vanilla I've tried. It's also the least interesting one. On my skin, I don't detect any smoky note, it's so innocent, it's almost childish. The positive thing is that it's so light it can be easily be worn during summer and it's unobtrusive. Having recently tried Felanilla, my vote definitely goes to that one or PdN Vanille Tonka or even SL Un Bois Vanille which are both smokier than this one.

on 5/10/2009 5:19:00 AM

I had a bottle of this igave away. I LOVE many vanillas but this was just a smoky floral old lady musty dusty vanilla on me, that didnt get any better with time and made me feel like a bowl of potpourri. Really disappointed. Yes it might be more 'grown up' than some other sickly sweet vanillas, but im a grown up and i hate it.

on 12/25/2007 8:29:00 PM

Many people, myself included, like photographs as the best kind of a souvenir of time passing by, from special occasions to chronicling our everyday lives. All the while, the past also lingers on in our minds in ways unseen, even more powerful than visual imagery as memories grow intertwined with scents. Their ephemeral testimonies are what takes me back in time, deliberately or unexpectedly, makes me relive a moment in the past, resurrecting the atmosphere of a day long gone whenever I reach for its echoes.

December of 2002. My then-husband and I were showing a prospective graduate student, his compatriot, around our mid-sized Southern college town frowning at the cold gloom of short days without snow.

I remember the three of us settled for an evening of conversation and hot cocoa at a quirky local coffeehouse in the Old City. My then-husband's and the girl's melodious talk in the language of Rumi and Hafez, two pairs of sparkling molasses-brown eyes, the coziness of the mismatched light fixtures and bookshelves lining the exposed brick walls. I remember my black cashmere sweater, so soft against my skin, and the scent of Vanilia I had picked that evening, its rich, comforting ambery warmth with delectable smoky vanilla bean overtones.

Time has since gently eroded the particulars of the evening from my memory. Life changed as the visiting student moved to town to continue her studies here, my Persian with eyes like a starry night eventually became another's husband, the coffeehouse went out of business, and the beautiful sweater ended up in a Goodwill donation box. Still, a whiff of Vanilia is all is takes to conjure up the fading memory of a pleasant evening somewhere in time when we were so young and full of hopes and dreams, some of which were not meant to be.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Occasionally, I like to add a "comfort" quality to my spicier perfumes without disturbing the composition of the "lead" spicy fragrance. I figured Vanilla would be a sure way to do this, but had a hard time finding one that I actually liked and that would not "re-arrange" the lead scent. Enter L'Artisan Vanilia... It is abso-perfect for layering under my spicier scents like Organza Indecence. While I would not wear L'Artisan Vanilia alone, it will certainly be a mainstay in my collection as the perfect compliment to many of my fall/winter perfume faves.

on 8/8/2007 11:11:00 PM

I tried a decant of this first (as it's not cheap - obviously LOL), and fell in love! Now, I will say I'm a vanilla lover (and a lover of foody frags too), but this is not foody, yet it is comforting and sexy all at the same time. I would say that this is my sexy vanilla - something to wear on a nice night out, but also yummy enough to wear everyday (and not overwhelming for those around you either). It is a wonderful combination of vanilla and smokiness that smells absolutely amazing (with a touch of woods thrown in). On me, the lasting power is excellent and only a spritz or two is good enough to last all day. I bought the whole bottle, and I'm not sorry! A new fav of mine too!

on 12/13/2006 3:03:00 PM

I reach for this when I need some instant comfort. It's a warm smoky not too foody vanilla tempered with some floral notes. Just all around lovely. Not for the cakey vanilla lover nor for teeny boppers. (My sister described it as an "old lady" perfume, but I care not, for I love it.)

on 10/4/2006 4:45:00 PM

Let me start by saying I have never worn vanilla scents because they are usually a cake like, sickening sweet, cloying, plastic mess. I tried this one because some of the reviews I read said that even a non-vanilla lover would like this and much to my surprise they were right. This starts off a little smokey and a touch of sweetness which continues to get more beautiful throughout the drydown. With fall/winter right around the corner I have been wanting a scent with a touch of spice since typically I wear florals. Many of the spicer scents tend to be too heavy or cloying for me but this has just enough spice to be sexy, seductive, mysterious and still feminine while also being a little clean/soapy and floral on me. I can't say enough about my new discovery other than this is definitely full bottle worthy. Honestly, I have never smelled anything like it.

on 6/16/2006 12:20:00 AM

Very artistic, rewarding take on vanilla. Using all parts of the vanilla plant plus amber, this goes through 3 stages on my skin: First it's incredibly round and fruity, which caught me off guard because nowhere are fruits listed in the notes. Then the amber starts peeking through, ushering in a rather dark, smoky accord. Then comes my favorite part, the drydown, in which lovely, flirty vanilla orchid comes into play. This is truly vanilla for grown-ups, not girls. And the EDT formulation is welcome in this case, as a stronger Vanilia might have been too cloying to wear. Decant-, and possibly bottle-worthy.

Popular Fragrances