L'Artisan Fragrances Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin type : Other
No Image

3.5

on 9/28/2007 8:06:00 PM

I love Oriental vanilla scents, so antoher one I expected to adore. Purchased a decant on ebay without ever having tried it before, as so many raved about this smokey, dark vanilla . Maybe I got a bad decant or something, but I smelled nothing but vanilla in an astray. I tried and tried to like this, but was to no avail. I think I swapped it.

The most I've ever paid for a fragrance and well worth every penny! Warm but floral too. Hard to describe.

on 1/21/2006 9:49:00 PM

I wanted this to be a smoky vanilla. Alas, no smoke. On me, it's remarkably similar to Fleur des Comores. This one is a sweet floral vanilla, and Fleur des Comores is a sweet fruity-floral vanilla. Very pretty.

on 6/4/2005 9:07:00 PM

I can't put my finger on it, but every time I wear this vanilla I become annoyed with it about 15 minutes into wearing it. I think it is whatever "dark" note underlies this fragrance, which to my nose is a slightly rancid woody note. Plus there is something slightly stale and syrupy about it.

L'Artisan
Vanilia
is the most unique vanilla based fragrance that I know of with a
fresh, powdery and sparkling feel like no other I've tried. It is
just so light and tender, a description that sounds completely
feminine I know, but some guys could definitely pull this one off.
This one is very unique and I love it. It has a very slight
medicinal metallic edge that gives it a unique bite, but is a very
subtle fresh way. There
is a note in there somewhere that smells like a hotel pillow, but it
blends nicely with the other notes. It is also
the only strong vanilla fragrance I can recall of having a fairly
strong smoky note. Does it have tobacco in it? I can swear that I
smell it in there. The musky dry down is very nice as well. I know
it sounds strange but all of these strange accords together really
works. It does take a little getting used to, but it really smells
great. It wears very transparent and seems to fade away in just a
few hours, so longevity would be my only complaint.

Notes:
vanilla bean, wild orchid, vanilla flower, spices, amber

continued >>

Opens with an ashtray note, then morphs into the smell of cheap, artificial-vanilla scented candles, like you might find at the dollar store. Maybe it's a chemistry thing, but I did not find this appealing at all.

Upon initial application it smells like an ashtray, but an hour later it smells like the inexpensive incense that students burn and outgrow by adulthood. I say this without judgement -- it is not a criticism, but a description. This scent is interesting, but it doesn't shout "beautiful." Instead, it reminds me of what I thought adulthood was as I was entering puberty. And I should add that the vanilla is there, too, and it is nice but it is not strong. It does, however, form a pleasant cloud that surrounds the wearer, and it lasts quite a long time. Because of the smokiness, or ashy smell, however, I have a hard time imagining anybody who is not a smoker wearing this scent. Since I have read that Michelle Pfeiffer wears it, I wonder if she smokes cigarettes. If you know the answer, do tell me. And lastly, I have to add that I do not smell the vanilla orchid flower at all, which should not surprise, since I have read that the flower is odorless. I think it would be a lovely scent, the combination of vanilla bean and an orchid flower, but this is not that, at least not the batch I've smelled.

on 12/22/2004 12:45:00 AM

Agree with what has just been said below, no complexity, no smokiness ala Un Bois Vanille.
Not bad but not great either. In the CSP category vanilla scent.

on 5/25/2004 5:40:00 PM

This is a vaguely spicy vanilla that fades away into nothingness in 2 hours flat. I wish I had more good to say about this, but I can't even remember what it smells like even though I just put it on 3-4 hours ago. It's just....gone. There are much better vanillas out there, in my opinion.

Popular Fragrances