L'Artisan Parfumeur Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

No Image

3.6

on 12/25/2007 8:29:00 PM

Many people, myself included, like photographs as the best kind of a souvenir of time passing by, from special occasions to chronicling our everyday lives. All the while, the past also lingers on in our minds in ways unseen, even more powerful than visual imagery as memories grow intertwined with scents. Their ephemeral testimonies are what takes me back in time, deliberately or unexpectedly, makes me relive a moment in the past, resurrecting the atmosphere of a day long gone whenever I reach for its echoes.

December of 2002. My then-husband and I were showing a prospective graduate student, his compatriot, around our mid-sized Southern college town frowning at the cold gloom of short days without snow.

I remember the three of us settled for an evening of conversation and hot cocoa at a quirky local coffeehouse in the Old City. My then-husband's and the girl's melodious talk in the language of Rumi and Hafez, two pairs of sparkling molasses-brown eyes, the coziness of the mismatched light fixtures and bookshelves lining the exposed brick walls. I remember my black cashmere sweater, so soft against my skin, and the scent of Vanilia I had picked that evening, its rich, comforting ambery warmth with delectable smoky vanilla bean overtones.

Time has since gently eroded the particulars of the evening from my memory. Life changed as the visiting student moved to town to continue her studies here, my Persian with eyes like a starry night eventually became another's husband, the coffeehouse went out of business, and the beautiful sweater ended up in a Goodwill donation box. Still, a whiff of Vanilia is all is takes to conjure up the fading memory of a pleasant evening somewhere in time when we were so young and full of hopes and dreams, some of which were not meant to be.

on 9/3/2009 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

After reading the reviews, I am really surprised. Well, surprised that more people donít like it and a little relieved at the same time. For whatever reason, I find that most of my favorite frags seem to be rated in the low three lippie range at best. I like LíArtisan Vanilia and I like vanilla frags in general. Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille and Laura Mercier Vanille Gourmande are two of my favorites. That said, LíArtisan Vanilia is definitely different. Itís not overly sweet and the amber opening is a tad smoky, as others have noted. The overall feel on my skin is a hushed, creamy ylang-ylang and tonka bean thatís grounded and warmed by what evolves into a delicate, skin amber (more the I Profumi di Firenze Ambra del Nepal variety vs the darker, resinous amber of Ambre Sultan). The notes from the LíArtisan website include ylang-ylang, nutmeg, clove, vanilla and sandalwood. I personally donít get a lot of spice from this, and Iíd venture to say if you like amber, ylang-ylang and (unsweet) vanilla notes, youíll likely be pleased with the sum of its parts.

on 11/6/2009 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

After my disappointing experience with Havana Vanille, I moved on to this. For me, it's the vanilla I've been searching for. On my skin, I get plenty of vanilla, but it's very complex. I do pick up, even with my untrained nose, the the amber and spicy notes, as well as a light smoky note--although it's not the ashtray-smoke of Havana Vanille, it's gentle and sexy--and no floral notes, which I loathe. Overall, this is a grown-up, sophisticated vanilla--the kind that will have men nuzzling your neck, not asking you to bake cookies. I applied just a bit this morning and can still smell it more than twelve hours later, although it does stay close to the skin, which I prefer. Perfection (on my weird chemistry), and I think it will work well with my Sabon Amber body oil as well. I'll be getting a full bottle of this!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

About eight years ago I was perfume sampling at the fragrance counters when an associate sprayed this fragrance on a paper strip. She didn't tell me what it was, which is imporant to understand because when I smelled it, I got a smoky vanillic-AMBER floral. Very warm and vanillic, but with an equal hit of the spicy bite and smoke of nutmeg, ylang ylang, amber and wood. Had I known what the fragrance was called, I would have been surprised because it's not anything like a simple vanilla fragrance.
Let me be even more clear - being a vanilla fan will NOT qualify you to like Vanilia. There is too much amber, ylang ylang and wood standing center stage in this to let Vanilia be all about vanilla. Vanilia is an abstract vanilla, not something immediately recognizable as vanilla like the milder gourmand vanillas we've all come to know. This is closer to Guerlain's Shalimar (although still very different than Shalimar) than it is to BBW's Warm Vanilla Sugar.
And I love it. :) I'm on my 2nd 100ml bottle. It's great when I want to wear something warm and snuggly. I can see this one worn in the summer because it's not heavy and doesn't have a tremendous throw, but I only wear it in the cooler months - that's when I prefer spicier scents. continued >>

on 1/21/2011 6:16:00 AM

HEAVEN IN A BOTTLE! Why did I only discover it now?! I'm not even a vanilla fan. Thank goodness I was still in time to buy probably the second last bottle left in my country. A dusty, inedible vanilla that is almost equally strongly an amber scent (though a very translucent amber), with an absolutely delightful non-fresh sappiness also (ylang-ylang?), a scent combo I've never, ever come across. So rare to find a not-very-sweet vanilla, and one with added interest that's NOT just random cinnamon-ey spiciness? What a treasure. I would bathe in it and smell of it always if I could. Someone at L'Artisan seriously needs a good head-reading, to discontinue this and give us the very vile Vanille Absolument? For SHAME.

on 6/22/2004 9:24:00 PM

This vanilla lover loves this L'Artisan. I love the sensual scent of the vanilla flower and vanilla bean. A slight oriental vanilla, the smokiness enraptures and conjures images of winter snow and chimney smoke in a dense pine forest, as well as breezy nights on the streets of Monte Carlo at the height of summer. It is truly a delight in perfume form with vanilla flower, vanilla bean, amber, and spices. The most perfect vanilla in a sophisticated way. Less woody than SL Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille, this is sweet, yet smoky in a vanilla and fresh tobacco leaves sort of way. Calming and soothing, this scent is one of the most beautiful vanillas available. Different from any other vanillas I've tried, and I'm a vanillaholic. I first thought this was way too smokey until just two minutes later, when I felt like I was floating on a cloud of vanilla creme brulee. Delicious, but not foody, and so elegant, of course, from this Parisian perfume innovation powerhouse.

on 3/13/2003 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this fragrance. Love it, love it, love it! You may wonder why I am so enthusiastic. To be honest, the three L'Artisan fragrances I had tried in the past just did not work for me. Until I joined MUA and started reviewing all of the raves for the line, I had pretty much given up on trying another L'Artisan product ever again. Boy was I wrong to feel that way! And, boy am I happy I joined MUA! Thanks to some wonderful MUA members, like DianeL, I am exploring and loving the L'Artisan range of fragrances. And Vanilia is at the top of the list. DianeL has done a masterful job of describing it, but I would like to add that Vanilia is not only the vanilla flower and stem--much like an orchid--but it is, also, surprisingly fresh and soapy clean smelling on my skin. So it is simultaneously fragrant, not foody, and clean. It last all day on me, too. What could be better? Nowadays I cannot wait to test other L'Artisan fragrances and will happily review them as the spirit moves me!

on 3/15/2010 3:29:00 AM

I had very high expectations about this one, which unfortunately didn't turn true. This is a nice ambery-vanilla on my skin, which is lighter and less sweet than any vanilla I've tried. It's also the least interesting one. On my skin, I don't detect any smoky note, it's so innocent, it's almost childish. The positive thing is that it's so light it can be easily be worn during summer and it's unobtrusive. Having recently tried Felanilla, my vote definitely goes to that one or PdN Vanille Tonka or even SL Un Bois Vanille which are both smokier than this one.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

When I first started my perfume obsession about a year ago, this was one of the first samples I ordered. I instantly liked it (even with my then-virgin nose) and was surprised. I fully expected to dislike it due to it's smoky and grown up vanilla descriptions. At that time I was going more for reference than finding a wearable perfume. I happily used up my sample but never ordered more. When I got Perfumes: The Guide, I was shocked to see that it was rated 5 stars, but not shocked that there was no reference to smoke or a grown up vanilla. I had to order more to remember and am glad I did. I completely agree with the candlyfloss description and that it is best rocked with a sunburn and loud music. I will replace the banana float with a beer, tho. That description for me was spot on.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Occasionally, I like to add a "comfort" quality to my spicier perfumes without disturbing the composition of the "lead" spicy fragrance. I figured Vanilla would be a sure way to do this, but had a hard time finding one that I actually liked and that would not "re-arrange" the lead scent. Enter L'Artisan Vanilia... It is abso-perfect for layering under my spicier scents like Organza Indecence. While I would not wear L'Artisan Vanilia alone, it will certainly be a mainstay in my collection as the perfect compliment to many of my fall/winter perfume faves.

Popular Fragrances