L'Artisan Fragrances Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

No Image

3.9

on 9/6/2010 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I keeping wondering to myself where's the vanilla whenever I test this, it's buried deep somewhere by the amber and overly sweet ylang ylang. Definitely smells like a 1978 creation, not something for me.

on 10/8/2007 11:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Without a doubt this is one of the most intriguing vanilla fragrances I have ever smelled. It starts out soft, slightly woody-smokey and within a few hours it transforms itself into the perfect skin scent. A vanilla that stays close to my skin, a wonderful balance of cozy and sensual qualities. Not foody, cloying or overly sweet, yet ultra feminine. The best part is the staying power, usually on my rather dry skin scents tend to disappear quite quickly, but I put Vanilia on 7 hours ago and it is still there. I am delighted I found this gem and will most likely repurchase. $85 for 1.7 oz/50 ml, $125 for 3.4 oz/100 ml.

on 8/8/2007 11:11:00 PM

I tried a decant of this first (as it's not cheap - obviously LOL), and fell in love! Now, I will say I'm a vanilla lover (and a lover of foody frags too), but this is not foody, yet it is comforting and sexy all at the same time. I would say that this is my sexy vanilla - something to wear on a nice night out, but also yummy enough to wear everyday (and not overwhelming for those around you either). It is a wonderful combination of vanilla and smokiness that smells absolutely amazing (with a touch of woods thrown in). On me, the lasting power is excellent and only a spritz or two is good enough to last all day. I bought the whole bottle, and I'm not sorry! A new fav of mine too!

on 6/29/2007 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This vanilla scent is super woody at first. The woodiness does calm down after about 10 minutes, but is still too present and overshadows the vanilla. I don't smell any of the smokiness some described, which I would have liked. It's more like wet wood and vanilla.

I love this scent. It's warm, not too sweet, slightly smoky, just beautiful. A very soft and comforting scent. My only gripe is that it has rather poor staying power (but at the same time, I think it contributes to its light, weightless feel). For me, the most beautiful scent I've come across.

This scent is addicting! I love the smell of natural vanilla, but most vanilla-based fragrances are foody and cakey and I don't like it.
Many of those are also clearly artificial. They smell like tha liquid vanilla flavour you put in cakes or they smell like candies.
Vanilia is different. At the beginning is almost fresh and green with a metallic edge, then smoky tonka bean and after 15-20 minutes all the vanilla power comes out strong and quite sweet, but always with a vegetal quality.
It becomes quite heavy, maybe not so pleasant in hot weather.
I'm wearing this scemt these days, because I have some vials and thinking about buying it for spring, even if it's more of a dark type of scent.
Not everyone appreciate it, some say it's overwhelming, others say that they barely smell it if they come close. It really depends on teh nose you have!
I can't stop smelling myself when I wear it, till I feel stoned and addicted! After that I feel a little overwhelmed, but in a good way.
I took off a lippie because, as for many L'Artesan, it has poor lasting power, especially for that price.
Edit: I'm a sucker! Vanilia is not perfect! It becomes too smoky and rubber after a while!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

First off...I have never been a vanilla fan. Blame it on The Body Shop's vanilla line way back when in the 80's and 90's, follow that up with the slew of cloyingly sweet vanilla fragrances that flood the fragrance market today. Perhaps because of this, anything vanilla-like in a fragrance just sent me running.

So, you can imagine, that while at the L'Artisan counter positively swooning over Passage d'Enfer and cradling Premier Figuer, I was completely unprepared for the wonderful salesperson to suggest trying Vanilla.

I told her straight off I don't *do* vanilla in fragrance..but she told me that layered with Figurer it gives the fragrance added depth. As long as it is sprayed first and LIGHTLY, I was into it. So..I tried it. Light, and I mean very light application, then a spritz of Figuer...WOW...

Now..I love Figuer all by itself...so I figured, why not try this Vanilla...maybe it isn't so bad after all..I mean, I did buy the 1.7oz bottle. So...this week..every day, been wearing it..and the consensus is...am LOVING it.

Like I have said before, not a vanilla fan..but this vanilla is not overly sweet..it is elegant, it is a bit smoky..but I don't get any "ashtray" vibe at all..and I gotta admit..the amber vibe really puts it notches above any vanilla scent I have tried..with the exception of I Profumi's Ambra del Nepal..I really love that one too.

This Vanilla is classy and wonderful on it's own..plus it does double duty as a base layer for the Figuer..so I gotta give it 5 lippies..very happy I picked it up and gave it a try.

on 11/9/2004 12:33:00 AM

To be completely honest, not a lot of the vanilla or spice that others have mentioned showed up on me. What I do get is a lot of soapiness. I never thought a vanilla could be clean smelling but this one does! I really like this one but it doesn't last very long.

on 7/19/2004 9:20:00 AM

Very smokey and spicy indeed although I can smell the vanilla note well enough. I know it is one you should play with as it grows on you - it does grow on me the more I sniff it - but I really did not want my coworkers to think I lived in an ashtray. There is nothing girly about this one. I would feel tough if I wore it :)

on 6/14/2004 1:04:00 PM

Like all L'Artisan fragrances, Vanilia is complex and interesting. It definitely is not a typical sugary sweet vanilla. It is a deep, sophisticated vanilla, more smoky and incensey than sweet. I do get the vanilla bean scent if I put my nose directly onto my skin, but most of what I smell is the smokiness and incense. It's a pleasant fragrance, and well-developed like all L'Artisans. UPDATE: It takes a little getting used to, because it's not the sweety-sweet vanilla that's so popular, but this scent has really grown on me. It's such a sensous, deep vanilla, and has its own brand of sweetness in the drydown. A really comforting scent, and one that I would definitely repurchase.

Popular Fragrances