Lanvin My Sin Extrait

4.9

on 2/26/2018 6:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

One of the most fascinating and complex perfumes of the 20thc, and with a rather outrageous name (originally called "MON PÊCHE" in French), MY SIN sails in on a sharp aldehydic/citrus note... curiously leavened by a slightly aromatic clary sage; which evanesces quickly to reveal the dark floralcy of the heart. An "old" "varnished wood" quality is always there, courtesy of oak and styrax, making it similar to that other Lanvin classic, ARPÈGE. But where ARPÈGE is mature, very put-together and somewhat austere, MY SIN is more blatantly sensual, less controlled, with dusty-dark, throbbing, nocturnal-smelling florals like daffodil, narcissus, neroli, iris, jasmine, and ultimately, a glowering purple-black accord of tuberose, ylang-ylang and lilac. All united by a very pronounced musky base of deermusk, costus root (with its curious smell of unwashed, oily hair or kitten's belly), ambergris, oldschool nitromusks and civet, which add to the floralcy's lowing, crooning, swarthy beauty. This scent smells like something a youngish femme-fatale might wear, like a young Lauren Bacall, Joan Crawford's bratty daughter in MILDRED PIERCE, or Kathleen Turner in BODY HEAT, or Faye Dunaway in CHINATOWN. Little Edie Bouvier Beale at her Pierre debut. Maybe even Glenn Close in FATAL ATTRACTION. It is pure, musky, sensual attraction, with no frilly, girlish notes that say, "No, I'm just kidding." MY SIN is definitely not kidding... it's not cheering, really, it sets its tender trap, almost with an air of Film Noir danger to it. Modern youth might call MY SIN "old-ladyish" because of its oldschool swank... but I read it as a woman in her 30's or 40's... a cougar. Not for office or church or the PTA. Wearing strapless black velvet with low sweetheart décolletage. Long-lasting, with a surprisingly restrained sillage... it's designed to hug the skin...and purr away. Discontinued in 1988, but bottles of it can still be found on eBay.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Elegance in a bottle. Powdery, gentle floral with civet notes was my first impression, but there is really so much more going on. My Sin begins with soapy overtones that burst with little floral explosions. But not in a huge way that are overpowering. It's as if you're walking in an English Garden and you stop to smell flowers along the way. You pick up different scents. Civet comes into play amongst the flowers. I adore civet in my perfumes. Civet is a note that seems to border on a love/hate relationship with people from their description. We've all seen the wording that describes cats at their most horrible and I'm guessing that's not a civet lover. It's strong and delicious in My Sin. So are the aldehydes, which are quite prevalent. There are so many wonderful notes that pop up in this gloriously creamy perfume at times, it's difficult to pinpoint each one. Oh, but it's fun to try! This is a sophisticated perfume for a sophisticated woman. The type of woman who has chutzpah. That's the woman that can wear My Sin every day and every night if she wants. Last about four hours for me and sillage is noticeable with the right amount. They just don't make them like this anymore.
Top Notes: Neroli, Bergamot, Amalfi Lemon, Clary Sage, Aldehydes.
Middle Notes: Jasmine, Narcissus, Ylang-Ylang, Clove, Orris Root, Rose, Lilly-of-the-Valley, Lilac.
Base Notes: Vetyver, Musk, Styrax, Tolu Balsam, Vanille, Woodsey Notes, Civetta.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

It devastates me that this perfume is discontinued.. I read about it in a book a few years back and it was mentioned as possibly the most amazing fragrance of all time. Immediately intrigued, I purchased a bottle off eBay and, never a perfume enthusiast (I just sprayed on whatever was available), it was my go-to for well over a year. The scent is difficult to describe, it's musty and sensual and warm in all the right ways. I wouldn't describe it as overpowering, and I've never received any complaints from my boyfriend about it. Truth be told, this scent is NOT for everyone. It really transports you to a more dignified, elegant and mysterious time, and it can only be convincingly worn by a mature woman. NOT an elderly woman, per se, but a strong, confident and boldly feminine woman. I myself only bring this out on special occasions, as it's difficult to find and cannot be worn with casual attire, so use it sparingly but soak in every minute!

on 10/4/2010 9:03:00 PM

I hv got my sin perfume in a old perfume shop in hong kong well I love all vintage perfumes and it was Lanvin the name attracted me and I guessed it was not good and I just love its name.
But I opened it and tried it my god something happened very mysterious aurora I never know my sin was created in 1926 well My super idol greta garbo's era silent movies and romance.....vamps and heroes.I never find it aggressive but very powdery and nice maybe I ALWAYS love something strong I don't like those created now so shallow no characters smelled just liked a fruit salad or soda but this one simply a mysterious vamp liked Garbo in silent movies soooo alluring invincible

on 9/10/2010 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Lanvin, please, please bring MY SIN back!

This was my go-to "date" scent in the seventies, when I'd borrow my mom's. It's the scent that cemented my love of musks. I didn't know what was in it that was so addictive to my senses, but when I put it on, I'd feel like I was sexy and it was transporting.

Mom had Arpege on the dresser next to My Sin.I hardly touched the Arpege. I'd head straight to MS. I wish I'd kept one of the pretty old bottles.

PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!

Thanks to the reviewers who mention the inferiority of the dupe. I'll skip it.

on 10/18/2009 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

If Lanvin would reissue this scent, I would never buy anything else. I loved it - oh, about 50 years ago -
I've tried the smellalike - not even close!!

on 1/30/2009 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this fragrance! I discovered perfume at age 11 or 12. This was one of my all time favorite smells. I have worn it since I was about 14 years old. I was going through my older keepsakes and found a bottle still half full. I probably have not seen that bottle in 15 years and it still smelled wonderful and had no sediment in the bottom of the bottle! Talk about a well made scent. Recently I purchased a brand new sealed bottle from ebay. It was about twice the price as when I use to buy it, but it was worth it. I use it on special days when I want to feel very much like a lady. I do wish they would bring back the orrigional My Sin. There are copies out there, but they are just that, copies. Do not waste your money. If you can find a bottle of My Sin, buy it, you will be glad you added it to your collection. A classic beauty.

on 8/12/2007 1:55:00 PM

Sex in a bottle. She's wearing a chestnut brown sable coat and little if nothing underneath it. Thats the 'My sin' lioness. A vamp, confident, arrogant, and completely 'woman'.
One of my all time favourites, Scandal (created in 1933) being the ultimate in this line of fragrances.
It was created in 1926 by Madame Zed - a Russian emigree, who worked on a number of fragrances with Jeanne Lanvin, it completely epitomises that era.
Glamour.
Silent movies.
Diamonds, rubies, champagne and fur.
An ocelot on a lead, parading down the Champs Elysees with your friend...Elsa Schiaparelli.
The bottle, with it's black onyx stopper and the packaging are the epitomy of classic design - pure and exquisite.
A classic. If you find it, buy it. If you don't - mail me so I can.
Can you tell I'm one of it's greatest fans....

on 8/4/2007 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

My father bought this for my mother every anniversary. They were passionately in love with each other. To me, this is the scent of soulmates who stick it out through thick and thin ... I do wish Lanvin would bring back My Sin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

My Sin is a wonderful retro fragrance, which is unfortunatly discontinued. I've got the extrait, EDT, body veil and powder. The packaging changed over the years, so you can find it in different styles of bottles. The tall black one was designed by Cartier, I've read.
As for the fragrance itself, there's a creamy note that I get in the middle rarely found in other fragrances, and it makes searching for vintage bottles online worth the hunt.
I don't see the similarity to Chanel #5 other than the aldehydes. I recently tried Nuit de Noel EDT and got the same creamy note, but NDN seems earthier and My Sin more sophisticated to me. Long Lost Perfumes does have a dupe, which is nice, but it's missing that creamy note, which is the reason I love My Sin so much! Will always have this on hand, I'm hoarding what I have and using it judiciously so as to make it last a long as possible.
Love it, Love it, Love it!!!

Popular Fragrances