Essie Russian Roulette

4.9

on 2/17/2016 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Essie is very much hit or miss for me in terms of application and longevity but Russian Roulette is a winner. It's a shiny fun warm red and although it has brightness it's not shocking. That's probably due to the jelly finish which allows some translucency contrary to a saturated cream finish for example. It applies nice and evenly and dries really fast so I hardly have to wait between the coats. Two coats would do but I think it looks best with three. Lasts around five days with top coat and base coat which is acceptable for me. The thing I don't like is the brush which is quite wide and not very convenient but still an improvement compared to the previous skinny one.
Overall I think it's a lovely nail polish but I probably won't repurchase because cream finish is my favourite and I do have too many other reds in mind to try. Still, it gets noticed often in a positive way and I'll use up the bottle with pleasure.

on 6/29/2014 1:00:00 AM

Out of all my red polishes, this is my favorite! It is so vibrant and classic. It is definitely what i would call a bright red and has that vintage personality. Its gorgeous and has a very smooth application as well. I could probably wear this color every day and never get bored!! This red has the perfect tone and has lasted 5 days with minimal tip wear (with base and top coat).

on 12/14/2013 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Perfect pin up red. I don't see orange in it as other reviewers do, nor do I think it's a very bright shade of red. It's just classy, beautiful, almost juicy. I think the pictures I could find online don't do it justice.
Application was perfectly fine, 2 coats got it opaque, no streaks or stains. It lasted 6 days with base/top coat and is by far by favorite red polish.

The perfect shade of red ! This is by far my favorite red polish ever ! Classic red. I pair this with both base and top coat from Essie, and it lasts a long time. It looks so classy I love it so much !

My HG red for fingers and toes. I've repurchased several times. A gorgeous, creamy, 1950's vintage red. And long lasting. With a top coat, I find I can go a week without touch ups.

on 9/30/2012 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

WOOHOO! This colour actually makes me laugh out loud at how bright it is... It's shockingly bright! I don't think I will be wearing this to the office for quite a while... need to get my courage up and practice at home with it on my toes first. This red is not for the faint-hearted, but it's the perfect '50s housewife bright orangey red. I love it.

Although Essie polishes usually need a few coats to be opaque, this one covers everything evenly in one coat.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Love this red. I've never had a true red like this. It looks really pretty against my pale skin, I think it would look great on all skin tone's. It's just so red! It's smooth dries wonderfully. Just wish I didn't have to apply as many coats and I prefer a bigger brush, but this one is a keeper. Essie is quickly becoming my second in line beside O.P.I..

on 9/16/2012 3:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Russian Roulette is a warm red with an excellent consistency, two coats and you're set. When I am not sure what color to paint my nails, I go with this.

on 7/27/2012 12:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Beautiful bright red. I was worried it would pull orange on my skintone but no issue there! It really makes my nails pop and is wonderful to apply - I find it's a little more runny than most essie polishes, but to its advantage! Two coats and it's opaque with no streaking or bubbling. Highly recommend!

on 6/24/2012 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is the perfect red jelly creme. It's a bold candy red that would wear well in any season, in my opinion. It applied like a dream and was opaque in two coats. I generally use a top coat for extra shine/protection, but the shine of Russian Roulette was great on its own. Highly recommended if you need a gorgeous classic red in your collection!

Popular Polishes