Essie Russian Roulette

Essie Russian Roulette
Russian Roulette

4.9

on 2/18/2017 9:52:00 PM

Nice red but it's nothing special. Essie's Russian Roulette is a pretty, bright, basic, medium red creme. It looks fine on the nail, but there are seriously a million red polishes out there. And I love reds, but a red polish has to be really great to stand out from all the others. And this one doesn't.

Similar shades that I prefer to this one are Essie's Fifth Avenue, Butter London's Her Majesty's Red, and OPI's Big Apple Red.

There are just too many excellent reds out there. This one is good but it's not something that I would buy again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my all time favourite red, and have re-bought several times over the years.

It's such a classic shade and is wearable all year round, the bottle lasts a long time before becoming 'gloopy' and it's so pigmented you can easily get away with just one coat if you're in a rush to go out.

I usually add the Essie gel couture top coat and it looks like I've had professional gels done!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I have this habit of acquiring red lipsticks and red nail polishes, no matter how many similar colours I have at home. (I do purge regularly yet I'm still drawn to collecting these makeup items in red)
So of course I had to add Russian Roulette to my collection and I'm so glad I did. It reminds me of Orly's Haute Red which is a warm red that reminds me of Hollywood glamour.

The formula is very rich and creamy so application is not an issue as it can be with other Essie polishes.
One coat will give full coverage but two coats will make it even more so.
This polish is perfect for a night out.

A must have for those who love red polishes.

on 2/17/2016 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Essie is very much hit or miss for me in terms of application and longevity but Russian Roulette is a winner. It's a shiny fun warm red and although it has brightness it's not shocking. That's probably due to the jelly finish which allows some translucency contrary to a saturated cream finish for example. It applies nice and evenly and dries really fast so I hardly have to wait between the coats. Two coats would do but I think it looks best with three. Lasts around five days with top coat and base coat which is acceptable for me. The thing I don't like is the brush which is quite wide and not very convenient but still an improvement compared to the previous skinny one.
Overall I think it's a lovely nail polish but I probably won't repurchase because cream finish is my favourite and I do have too many other reds in mind to try. Still, it gets noticed often in a positive way and I'll use up the bottle with pleasure.

on 6/29/2014 1:00:00 AM

Out of all my red polishes, this is my favorite! It is so vibrant and classic. It is definitely what i would call a bright red and has that vintage personality. Its gorgeous and has a very smooth application as well. I could probably wear this color every day and never get bored!! This red has the perfect tone and has lasted 5 days with minimal tip wear (with base and top coat).

on 12/14/2013 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Perfect pin up red. I don't see orange in it as other reviewers do, nor do I think it's a very bright shade of red. It's just classy, beautiful, almost juicy. I think the pictures I could find online don't do it justice.
Application was perfectly fine, 2 coats got it opaque, no streaks or stains. It lasted 6 days with base/top coat and is by far by favorite red polish.

The perfect shade of red ! This is by far my favorite red polish ever ! Classic red. I pair this with both base and top coat from Essie, and it lasts a long time. It looks so classy I love it so much !

My HG red for fingers and toes. I've repurchased several times. A gorgeous, creamy, 1950's vintage red. And long lasting. With a top coat, I find I can go a week without touch ups.

on 9/30/2012 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

WOOHOO! This colour actually makes me laugh out loud at how bright it is... It's shockingly bright! I don't think I will be wearing this to the office for quite a while... need to get my courage up and practice at home with it on my toes first. This red is not for the faint-hearted, but it's the perfect '50s housewife bright orangey red. I love it.

Although Essie polishes usually need a few coats to be opaque, this one covers everything evenly in one coat.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Love this red. I've never had a true red like this. It looks really pretty against my pale skin, I think it would look great on all skin tone's. It's just so red! It's smooth dries wonderfully. Just wish I didn't have to apply as many coats and I prefer a bigger brush, but this one is a keeper. Essie is quickly becoming my second in line beside O.P.I..

Popular Polishes