Guerlain Bois d Armenie

Bois d Armenie

4.4

on 5/4/2010 10:13:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This is a very thoughful fragrance from Guerlain, very pricey too. I love incense/smoke notes in my perfumes but this one just did not do it for me. It is a very restrained composition, unmistakeably Guerlain in all ways but for the sillage and lasting power. The lovely waft of sweet incense disappears on my skin within 15 minutes even after 8 generous spritzes. If this were kicked up to have more oomph I would have bought a full bottle for certain. Classic and beautiful as it is, it would be a profound waste of money for me. What's the point of making a great scent that doesn't stick around. Guerlain dropped the ball on this one.

on 1/26/2010 12:25:00 PM

I know a fragrance approaches HG status when I inhale its scent, close my eyes with contentment while simultaneously being transported to a blissful state. Not many scents can do this for me. Cuir Beluga is one, Bois d'Armenie is another.

Part of the L'Art et la Matiere line, this fragrance opens quite reminiscent of Cuir Beluga--benzoin and creamy vanilla, with no sharp edges. As it develops, I detect light smoke, incense, sweet woods and a hint of patchouli--soft, subtle, etherial, comforting. The scent only improves and becomes achingly beautiful the longer it is on my skin.

The drydown is the BEST close-to-the-skin scent I have ever encountered. It is my favorite part of the experience.

on 4/12/2009 10:33:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Lucky me to not get sickly sweet or burning plastic. This is my new favorite: Incense smoke, wood, paper, sheer patchouli that’s barely there. Almost gourmand in a wood-and-French-egg-vanilla-smoke way. Heavy on the benzoin. I love it. I'm looking for more. EDIT: Talked my DH into buying me this at the Epcot Florida boutique. It will be a birthday present, because of the expense, but I'm so excited! loving my little decant, I'm very happy that the full bottle is in my future! (yes, he's making me wait. sigh.)

on 2/19/2008 8:35:00 AM

Words are wholly inadequate to describe the beauty of this magnificent perfume. I've actually put off writing this review, because I'm consumed with the recognition that my words cannot adequately capture its exquisite beauty, but here goes..... On me, BdA begins with notes of elegant patchouli (this is *not* headshop patch by any stretch of the imagination) and delicate smoke. A few minutes later, a light powdery essence emerges (if you're looking for Teint de Neige-strength powder, you won't find it here), along with a demure rose. I'm also picking up the cool whispers of iris. The drydown is completed by a snuggly combination of a gentle, elegant soft musk and a somewhat sweet woodsy essence (sandalwood or wenge, I'm not sure which). This is an elegant fragrance that moves effortlessly from day to night, from workweek to weekend, from wool to cashmere to silk. It is a true HG for me, and a scent I reach for over and over again, no matter my mood or the weather. It just makes me feel wonderful when I wear it. There are pricey perfumes that I will probably never re-purchase, but Bois d'Armenie is the best $200 I've ever spent, and I will gladly spend it again when this bottle runs dry.

My favorite thus far from the L'Art et la Matiere collection! A nice warm, spicy envelope that doesn't overpower. I feel this fragrance is as close to the old school Guerlains that modern perfumery will allow and I love it and will repurchase over and over!

on 10/13/2007 5:20:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I'll begin by saying that I've got an odd chemistry that enhances the sweetness of anything I wear. If something has an element of leather, I get Ivory Soap. Smoke and Incense? Goes very thin and sickly sweet smoke on me (like weed, I suppose). So, with that said, I'll give my .02 of Bois d'Armenie. I received a sample of this from a most wonderful and sweet swapper (thank you, Jill!) and was very honored to see it included. I had very high hopes that this might become HG for me, and at the same time I sort of hoped it wouldn't, since it is a bit dear. But still, if you could find The One you had searched for, and The One that satisfied heart and soul and nose like no other, wouldn't that be a bargain at any price? Yeah. It would to me, too.

Bois d'Armenie opens on my skin with an accord that is similar to Habit Rouge, Vol de Nuit, Shalimar, Jicky, etc - that Guerlinade thing. Very pleasant, very distinctive, a sort of dry incensy-leathery-soapy quality. Soon after drydown the faintest curl of very beautiful smoke rises, like sweet grasses burning more than like wood fire. And then comes the benzoin. Now, some 2 hours after application, I am left with a vanillic-Guerlinade scent, very pretty, very quiet. And sadly, on my skin, very unremarkable.

Objectively I can state that this is a gorgeous scent, smooth, gentle, classic and elegant, would be amazing to nuzzle into on someone else, and is equally amazing to nuzzle into on oneself. Sort of the equivalent to a pair of flannel-backed satin pajamas in a deep chocolate brown with cream fleur de lis printed all over. If you are a Guerlain afficionada, or a lover of sophisticated vanillas, then this could be The One for you.

Expensive but perhaps the "smoothest" scent I've experienced in a long time. Barely woodsy, slightly vanilla, bare whispers of light floral, all supported by a gentle dry incense-like base. Nothing sharp, nothing too smoky, nothing sour plus decent lasting power on me (at least 4 to 5 hours). I could sniff this all day. Perhaps one of the few fragrances worth the dollars!

This is soft and comforting, but this is not by any means lacking in the substance department. I own and love many femme-fatale and powerhouse fragrances, but they are not the kind of fragrance that one should wear anywhere. Bois d'Armenie is the kind of fragrance you could wear anywhere, anytime. This is classy and inoffensive. This is distinctive yet quiet. I have said it before: class doesn't shout and push its way into a room. Class impresses you with its delicate ways. Class walks with its head up and smoothly and elegantly walks itself in -never making an abrupt entrance. Bois d'Armenie is the epitome of class. The notes for Bois d’Armenie are: “pink pepper, iris, rose, coriander, benzoin, Indonesian patchouli, incense, precious woods, musk and balsams“. This fragrance opens up smelling smoky and a bit spicy and Not incensy at all as I somehow expected --but I am now glad that the note is not really there. It dries down to the smell of Papier d'Armenie before it is lit (You can order this papier online if you are curious about the smell. I got mine for $8 for a bunch).

on 11/10/2006 1:58:00 PM

I'm not a patient person. I can't twiddle my thumbs and wait for a fragrance to morph into something nice, especially one as expensive and hard to get as Bois d'Armenie. That being said, if you're willing to suffer through a couple of hours of the dry, sharp bitterness of freshly cut sapling, then the fragrance waiting on the other side of the purgatory is pure heaven. It becomes an equally dry, soft vanilla/incense combination that's like no other Guerlain I've tried. If it were possible to skip the first part and go directly to the wonderful drydown, this would be the only fragrance in my collection. It's perfect.

Popular Fragrances