Guerlain Bois d Armenie

Bois d Armenie

3.7

on 7/22/2010 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Musty, dusty, papery, sweet, spicey, and smoky. I love it!

Bois d'Armenie has the most unusual opening -- it opens up with a cool iris that blooms into a bunch of powdery sweet smoke and incense notes. Within twenty minutes, the smoke gets warmer and denser and unfortunately gains a slight edge of wet henna, which makes me feel a bit ill. If you wait a couple of hours however, the henna note thankfully dies and it becomes a dry, vanilla-ic soft incense. From the name, I expected it to smell similar to the benzoin and incense richness of Santa Maria Novella's Carta de Armenia, but was fairly disappointed. Bois d'Armenie is actually quite a pretty, comforting scent when it behaves, but it somehow just lacks the character present in most Guerlain creations. In that respect, it reminds me a lot of La Perla Eclix, a fragrance whose scent objectively pleases me, but which I almost never wear because I think it's too bland and wimpy. All the same, I would love a decant, I just don't know if I would stand $195 for a full bottle.

on 8/14/2006 6:33:00 PM

The two other l'Art et la Matieres that I've tried have been frustrating near-misses. Angelique Noire started edgy and interesting, but flattened out into a glutinous dessert that made me nauseous. Cuir Beluga spent a couple of hours as the most soft, pale suede - delightful on my skin - then gradually lost its leathery dryness to a sweet, flat vanilla. I went through two decants before acknowledging that I simply didn't love it all the way to the drydown. Then came Bois d'Armenie...I feared the worst. But from the moment it hit my skin I knew this was The One. It is, bizarrely, the smell of charred newspaper. I love the smell of charred newspaper; it's what makes lighting a fire in the grate worth the effort. It achieves this through a subtle blending of spices and herbs, with a little resinous incense. It doesn't develop much, but it doesn't splunge into Vanilla Delight either. It's just a pleasure to wear from beginning to end...which is a fair while; it has staying power, while remaining close to the skin.

The l'Art et la Matiers have Guerlain quality and class, but you wouldn't really spot them as Guerlains - they don't have any hint of the melancholy that is such a Guerlain feature. Where a traditional Guerlain is the olfactory equivalent of a heavy sigh, the l'Art et la Matieres are a purr of satisfaction as you slip into silk pyjamas at the end of a tough day. For many, this is not what Guerlain is about; the other 'exclusives' have more to offer the trad Guerlain fan. For me, this is the approachable face of Guerlain. I admire Mitsouko and Sous le Vent. I will wear Bois d'Armenie.

Popular Fragrances