Guerlain Bois d Armenie

Guerlain Bois d Armenie
Bois d Armenie

4.3

on 1/26/2010 12:25:00 PM

I know a fragrance approaches HG status when I inhale its scent, close my eyes with contentment while simultaneously being transported to a blissful state. Not many scents can do this for me. Cuir Beluga is one, Bois d'Armenie is another.

Part of the L'Art et la Matiere line, this fragrance opens quite reminiscent of Cuir Beluga--benzoin and creamy vanilla, with no sharp edges. As it develops, I detect light smoke, incense, sweet woods and a hint of patchouli--soft, subtle, etherial, comforting. The scent only improves and becomes achingly beautiful the longer it is on my skin.

The drydown is the BEST close-to-the-skin scent I have ever encountered. It is my favorite part of the experience.

on 12/23/2009 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

One of my favorite scents. This is a beautiful incense fragrance with a 24 dry down (if you can wear the same shirt that long!) Love it.

on 10/17/2009 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Notes: Top : incense, iris, pink pepper. Heart : Gaļac wood, benzoin, coriander leaves. Base : copahu balm, patchouli, white musk. Bois d'Armenie is lovely. Woody with a touch of sweetness and quite distinct. Perfect for fall.

on 4/12/2009 10:33:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Lucky me to not get sickly sweet or burning plastic. This is my new favorite: Incense smoke, wood, paper, sheer patchouli that’s barely there. Almost gourmand in a wood-and-French-egg-vanilla-smoke way. Heavy on the benzoin. I love it. I'm looking for more. EDIT: Talked my DH into buying me this at the Epcot Florida boutique. It will be a birthday present, because of the expense, but I'm so excited! loving my little decant, I'm very happy that the full bottle is in my future! (yes, he's making me wait. sigh.)

on 2/19/2008 8:35:00 AM

Words are wholly inadequate to describe the beauty of this magnificent perfume. I've actually put off writing this review, because I'm consumed with the recognition that my words cannot adequately capture its exquisite beauty, but here goes..... On me, BdA begins with notes of elegant patchouli (this is *not* headshop patch by any stretch of the imagination) and delicate smoke. A few minutes later, a light powdery essence emerges (if you're looking for Teint de Neige-strength powder, you won't find it here), along with a demure rose. I'm also picking up the cool whispers of iris. The drydown is completed by a snuggly combination of a gentle, elegant soft musk and a somewhat sweet woodsy essence (sandalwood or wenge, I'm not sure which). This is an elegant fragrance that moves effortlessly from day to night, from workweek to weekend, from wool to cashmere to silk. It is a true HG for me, and a scent I reach for over and over again, no matter my mood or the weather. It just makes me feel wonderful when I wear it. There are pricey perfumes that I will probably never re-purchase, but Bois d'Armenie is the best $200 I've ever spent, and I will gladly spend it again when this bottle runs dry.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This fragrance is truly exquisite and while I can barely afford Guerlain's niche fragrances, I would be more than willing to forgo heat in the winter for this Armenian delight. The fragrance is spicy in an antique, sacred kind of way rather than in a sultry 'come-hither' way; it is warm without smoke and it is far from cloying. It is slightly sweet without degenerating into a 'cuddly' 'fuzzy' vanillic sweetness the way many fragrances do nowadays. It is much like the delicate scented steam emanating from a hot cup of black tea infused with spices. My best friend, who happens to be of Armenian descent, and I used to get together and savor her mother's cardamom scented cookies while sipping a nice hot cup of black tea infused with cardamom, cinnamon,chamomile, clove, mint and rose petals. For whatever reason, this fragrance takes me back to those wonderful warm winter days. I don't know if this fragrance has cardamom in it, but it certainly evokes the idea of cardamom. What I particularly love about this is that its 'gourmandise' has a strangely ethereal quality to it that is at once sensuous, mystical and intellectual: an Orthodox monk meditating on the yellowing pages of the sacred Philokalia (which means "To love the beautiful") by the light of a dim candle just after Vespers. An experience I've only dreamed of encountering in fragrance.

My favorite thus far from the L'Art et la Matiere collection! A nice warm, spicy envelope that doesn't overpower. I feel this fragrance is as close to the old school Guerlains that modern perfumery will allow and I love it and will repurchase over and over!

on 11/29/2007 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I LOVE this (rather obscure) Guerlain scent. I discovered it originally on the fragrance board through doing a split. This is a classy, smokey, woody, sultry and most important for me....NOT sweet....exquistely blended Eau de P. The dry down is close to the skin, sexy, soft and subtle....and while it retains enough oomph to wear on its own, it also makes a great, relatively affordable layering partner for my regular, way too pricey pure parfums, mainly CC#1 and sometimes Mitsouko or Shalimar. Definitely will continue buying this as part of my permanent fragrance collection.

on 10/25/2007 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

My initial introduction to the world of Guerlain was not on a good note..starting with Jicky and Shalimar:( But... Bois d Armenie and a couple others have completely changed my mind!
Bois d Armenie is an exotic, close to the skin scent on me that is slightly sweet,wood, smokey, sultry...very well blended for this amateur to detect individual notes! This scent is definitely in my top 10!!

on 10/22/2007 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Does anyone know where I can buy this in the US or at least buy a sample of it? The reviews have me drooling to try this!

Popular Fragrances