Guerlain Bois d Armenie

Guerlain Bois d Armenie
Bois d Armenie

4.3

on 8/14/2006 6:33:00 PM

The two other l'Art et la Matieres that I've tried have been frustrating near-misses. Angelique Noire started edgy and interesting, but flattened out into a glutinous dessert that made me nauseous. Cuir Beluga spent a couple of hours as the most soft, pale suede - delightful on my skin - then gradually lost its leathery dryness to a sweet, flat vanilla. I went through two decants before acknowledging that I simply didn't love it all the way to the drydown. Then came Bois d'Armenie...I feared the worst. But from the moment it hit my skin I knew this was The One. It is, bizarrely, the smell of charred newspaper. I love the smell of charred newspaper; it's what makes lighting a fire in the grate worth the effort. It achieves this through a subtle blending of spices and herbs, with a little resinous incense. It doesn't develop much, but it doesn't splunge into Vanilla Delight either. It's just a pleasure to wear from beginning to end...which is a fair while; it has staying power, while remaining close to the skin.

The l'Art et la Matiers have Guerlain quality and class, but you wouldn't really spot them as Guerlains - they don't have any hint of the melancholy that is such a Guerlain feature. Where a traditional Guerlain is the olfactory equivalent of a heavy sigh, the l'Art et la Matieres are a purr of satisfaction as you slip into silk pyjamas at the end of a tough day. For many, this is not what Guerlain is about; the other 'exclusives' have more to offer the trad Guerlain fan. For me, this is the approachable face of Guerlain. I admire Mitsouko and Sous le Vent. I will wear Bois d'Armenie.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This fragrance is truly exquisite and while I can barely afford Guerlain's niche fragrances, I would be more than willing to forgo heat in the winter for this Armenian delight. The fragrance is spicy in an antique, sacred kind of way rather than in a sultry 'come-hither' way; it is warm without smoke and it is far from cloying. It is slightly sweet without degenerating into a 'cuddly' 'fuzzy' vanillic sweetness the way many fragrances do nowadays. It is much like the delicate scented steam emanating from a hot cup of black tea infused with spices. My best friend, who happens to be of Armenian descent, and I used to get together and savor her mother's cardamom scented cookies while sipping a nice hot cup of black tea infused with cardamom, cinnamon,chamomile, clove, mint and rose petals. For whatever reason, this fragrance takes me back to those wonderful warm winter days. I don't know if this fragrance has cardamom in it, but it certainly evokes the idea of cardamom. What I particularly love about this is that its 'gourmandise' has a strangely ethereal quality to it that is at once sensuous, mystical and intellectual: an Orthodox monk meditating on the yellowing pages of the sacred Philokalia (which means "To love the beautiful") by the light of a dim candle just after Vespers. An experience I've only dreamed of encountering in fragrance.

on 10/13/2007 5:20:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I'll begin by saying that I've got an odd chemistry that enhances the sweetness of anything I wear. If something has an element of leather, I get Ivory Soap. Smoke and Incense? Goes very thin and sickly sweet smoke on me (like weed, I suppose). So, with that said, I'll give my .02 of Bois d'Armenie. I received a sample of this from a most wonderful and sweet swapper (thank you, Jill!) and was very honored to see it included. I had very high hopes that this might become HG for me, and at the same time I sort of hoped it wouldn't, since it is a bit dear. But still, if you could find The One you had searched for, and The One that satisfied heart and soul and nose like no other, wouldn't that be a bargain at any price? Yeah. It would to me, too.

Bois d'Armenie opens on my skin with an accord that is similar to Habit Rouge, Vol de Nuit, Shalimar, Jicky, etc - that Guerlinade thing. Very pleasant, very distinctive, a sort of dry incensy-leathery-soapy quality. Soon after drydown the faintest curl of very beautiful smoke rises, like sweet grasses burning more than like wood fire. And then comes the benzoin. Now, some 2 hours after application, I am left with a vanillic-Guerlinade scent, very pretty, very quiet. And sadly, on my skin, very unremarkable.

Objectively I can state that this is a gorgeous scent, smooth, gentle, classic and elegant, would be amazing to nuzzle into on someone else, and is equally amazing to nuzzle into on oneself. Sort of the equivalent to a pair of flannel-backed satin pajamas in a deep chocolate brown with cream fleur de lis printed all over. If you are a Guerlain afficionada, or a lover of sophisticated vanillas, then this could be The One for you.

on 1/26/2010 12:25:00 PM

I know a fragrance approaches HG status when I inhale its scent, close my eyes with contentment while simultaneously being transported to a blissful state. Not many scents can do this for me. Cuir Beluga is one, Bois d'Armenie is another.

Part of the L'Art et la Matiere line, this fragrance opens quite reminiscent of Cuir Beluga--benzoin and creamy vanilla, with no sharp edges. As it develops, I detect light smoke, incense, sweet woods and a hint of patchouli--soft, subtle, etherial, comforting. The scent only improves and becomes achingly beautiful the longer it is on my skin.

The drydown is the BEST close-to-the-skin scent I have ever encountered. It is my favorite part of the experience.

on 2/19/2008 8:35:00 AM

Words are wholly inadequate to describe the beauty of this magnificent perfume. I've actually put off writing this review, because I'm consumed with the recognition that my words cannot adequately capture its exquisite beauty, but here goes..... On me, BdA begins with notes of elegant patchouli (this is *not* headshop patch by any stretch of the imagination) and delicate smoke. A few minutes later, a light powdery essence emerges (if you're looking for Teint de Neige-strength powder, you won't find it here), along with a demure rose. I'm also picking up the cool whispers of iris. The drydown is completed by a snuggly combination of a gentle, elegant soft musk and a somewhat sweet woodsy essence (sandalwood or wenge, I'm not sure which). This is an elegant fragrance that moves effortlessly from day to night, from workweek to weekend, from wool to cashmere to silk. It is a true HG for me, and a scent I reach for over and over again, no matter my mood or the weather. It just makes me feel wonderful when I wear it. There are pricey perfumes that I will probably never re-purchase, but Bois d'Armenie is the best $200 I've ever spent, and I will gladly spend it again when this bottle runs dry.

Expensive but perhaps the "smoothest" scent I've experienced in a long time. Barely woodsy, slightly vanilla, bare whispers of light floral, all supported by a gentle dry incense-like base. Nothing sharp, nothing too smoky, nothing sour plus decent lasting power on me (at least 4 to 5 hours). I could sniff this all day. Perhaps one of the few fragrances worth the dollars!

on 11/29/2007 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I LOVE this (rather obscure) Guerlain scent. I discovered it originally on the fragrance board through doing a split. This is a classy, smokey, woody, sultry and most important for me....NOT sweet....exquistely blended Eau de P. The dry down is close to the skin, sexy, soft and subtle....and while it retains enough oomph to wear on its own, it also makes a great, relatively affordable layering partner for my regular, way too pricey pure parfums, mainly CC#1 and sometimes Mitsouko or Shalimar. Definitely will continue buying this as part of my permanent fragrance collection.

on 4/12/2009 10:33:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Lucky me to not get sickly sweet or burning plastic. This is my new favorite: Incense smoke, wood, paper, sheer patchouli thatís barely there. Almost gourmand in a wood-and-French-egg-vanilla-smoke way. Heavy on the benzoin. I love it. I'm looking for more. EDIT: Talked my DH into buying me this at the Epcot Florida boutique. It will be a birthday present, because of the expense, but I'm so excited! loving my little decant, I'm very happy that the full bottle is in my future! (yes, he's making me wait. sigh.)

on 7/22/2010 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Musty, dusty, papery, sweet, spicey, and smoky. I love it!

on 10/25/2007 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

My initial introduction to the world of Guerlain was not on a good note..starting with Jicky and Shalimar:( But... Bois d Armenie and a couple others have completely changed my mind!
Bois d Armenie is an exotic, close to the skin scent on me that is slightly sweet,wood, smokey, sultry...very well blended for this amateur to detect individual notes! This scent is definitely in my top 10!!

Popular Fragrances