MAC 15-PAN

15-PAN

4.7

on 4/30/2006 10:35:00 AM

ITEM DESCRIPTION:

The small pro pan palette (also known as a 15 pan eyeshadow palette) from MAC is a slimline black case that stores MAC pro-pan eyeshadows and depotted MAC eyeshadows.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:

These very slim containers are made out of black plastic infused with silver speckles, and stamped with the MAC logo on the hinge lid. The bottom layer is magnetised, enabling eyeshaodw pans that are attached to a magnet/magnetised to sit snugly in the case. The entire case is opaque.
Palette stores fifteen eyeshadow pans, other brands may also fit once depotted.

COST:

Depends on regional price. Whilst it can be seen as expensive at first glance, there are few moderate-to-large eyeshadow palettes available in the market.

PROS:

- slimline design, reduced storage space.

- holds a suitable amount of product.

- is reasonably sturdy; can be dropped without shattering but there is no shock resistance for products inside.

CONS:

- is identical to large pan palette (or 'blush palette'), can be difficult to identify once you have a sizable collection stored in palettes.

- the opaque lid makes quick identification impossible. Could be vastly improved by the addition of a transparent lid.

SUMMARY:

Once you reach a sizable amount of MAC eyeshadows, depotting them into palette storage is a must. A palette is a HG item for working make-up artists or travelling make-up afficionados. If you're sick of clutter or simply want to depot your eyeshadows and gain some Back To Mac items, palettes are the way to go. With the addition of transparent lids, this palette would be perfect.

Was this review helpful to you? Please click the 'yes' button below and let MUA know. :) continued >>

on 6/22/2004 11:12:00 AM

If you're an eyeshadow collector or makeup artist, this is a superb way to organize your collection. The palettes are clamshell style and each hold 15 pans (i.e. the little metal insert that hold the actual eyeshadow) magnetically. You can buy MAC eyeshadow pans for the palettes at any MAC store (not counter), or remove your existing eyeshadows from their plastic packaging and add a magnet. Besides MAC pans, these palettes also readily hold eyeshadows by Milani, Urban Decay, MMU, Jane, and other companies. And if you pop out the insert with the round dividers, you can hold just about anything!

I organize my eyeshadows by color and these palettes are a lifesaver. When I'm looking for a certain color or family of colors, it's at my fingertips. No more digging around! And they stack up well. The smaller 4-pan palettes are also nice, but I have over 200 eyeshadows in my palettes and couldn't keep up with (or store) that many little palettes.

Some people have complaints about these that I would like to address. First, there are no mirrors or brushes in these palettes. These are professional storage palettes, not compacts. Other companies (like MMU) make small mirrored compacts that will hold MAC eyeshadows -- if you need an all-in-one compact, get one of these. Second, these are fairly durable if you transport and store them properly, but you can have a disaster if you just throw one into your purse or backpack. Again, as they are designed primarily for pro use, they work best when they are securely stowed in palette pouches or flat in a traincase. You don't want to toss these around!

Overall, these are amazing. And for US$12.50 each, it was cheap and easy to organize my eyeshadows for storage and use.

One final note: Many people are very excited about the prospect of depotting eyeshadows for palettes, since with the Back-2-MAC program you can return 6 empty containers and get a free lipstick. This is great for your existing eyeshadows and limited edition colors that only come in pots... but after you've gotten started with palettes, it's the most cost effective to buy all of your eyeshadows in pans when you can. The free lipstick is tempting, but look at the math:

6 pots @ US$12.50 each = US$75

6 pans @ US$9 each = US$54

The difference is $21... and that "free" lipstick is only worth $14! Buy pans, and you can *buy* those lipsticks! continued >>

on 7/6/2006 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

OMG I finally caved and bought this, thinking I'll fill it with new pans I purchase. Well, my OCD took over and I depotted all my existing eyeshadow pans and organized them here. Awesome!!!! I feel like a professional makeup artist.

On depotting: This takes practice. I was not able to successfully depot (without breaking the shadow) until my 3rd try. These are my words of advice.

For MAC. First separate the pan holder from what I'll call the pot. Open the shadow. Where the hinge is slipin a flat head screwdiver and twist until it pops off. Then take a lighter and hold a lit flame under the pan holder part until you see the plastic melt a bit. Then use the screwdriver head to gently push through the pan in the melted part. I find twisting with moderate pressure is the best. I took the time to wipe down all the glue before I put them in the pallate.

For Milani. Remove the back label. There is a pinhole through which a tack or I used a nail can be used to push the pan through. Also good to wipe down glue.

Thanks to all those MUA's who gave detailed instructions on their successes and failures for their information. Without this site, I did not even know about pallettes and depotting.

Some last words, E.L.F. (eyeslipsface.com) has amazing 4-pan pallettes for $1. Way nicer than MAC's for $3.50. For when you don't want to travel with the 15 pan.

on 3/24/2010 7:14:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

i love these... i have filled 5 of them and am working on my 6th =) i seperate mine by color ( neutral , blues, greens, pinks + purples, smokey) i also have a palette i got from coast scents which is a small, chubbier version but the CS one is NOT magnetic so i put magents on some pressed pigment pans and used the CS ones for pressed pigments

i will keep buying these forever and ever =) i use a dvd rack that i got at walmart to store the palettes

on 3/20/2009 10:24:00 AM

This refillable compact is simple, sleek, and slim. It has a flat black plastic exterior with MAC logo on the top. Unfortunately, there is no mirror or well for storing a brush. Overall, the palette is the same size as MAC's refillable 6-pan (blush) palettes, just with a different insert for holding 15 pans. Perfect for gals who like to depot and/or mix and match colors.

The palette itself is magnetized. Holds pans up to 26mm in diameter, such as:

Smashbox eyeshadow singles

Studio Makeup / Studio Gear

Urban Decay Eye Shadow

Wet 'n' Wild

-->See snickersforsnuggle's notepad (click here) for a more complete listing. (You may have to click on "continued" to get the hyperlink to work.) continued >>

on 2/27/2009 4:02:00 PM

I SWORE that I would never depot... but... then... ugh.... I totally caved!

Well innitially I just wanted to create a palette of neutral/everyday shadows that I intended to buy in pan form slowly over time... but I got anxious looking at an empty palette with only four shadows in it so I decided one or two of my earlier shadows would work well in the palette... and then some more...and then some more...

NOW I have TWO palettes full (one neutral and one pinks/purples) both depots and propans, and I couldn't be happier.

I still keep some LE packaging and a few colours that I had already hit pan on and was afraid to break in the depotting process....

My depotting technique:
I have NEVER broken a shadow during this procedure, and only ripped one label and that was before I perfected my technique.
All you need are the right tools:
A $2 eyeglass repair kit from any drugstore. (this is the secret weapon!)
A candle
A fridge magnet(cut into tiny pieces), like a pizza advertisment or some such...

So I use the mini flat head screw driver that comes with the eyeglass kit to pop off the top pan section from the pot part of the MAC container by sticking it into the seam at the front in the latch part.
I hold the back of the shadow above the flame of the candle until is it a little "sweaty" with condensation and then I put the shadow face down on the table and press the screw driver into the melty back of the pan until the metal pan comes out of it.
It will still be gluey and sticky so I attach a tiny magnet to it then and put it aside.
Next I take the "pot" part of the container and put the sticker/label side above the flame.
After a few seconds, the sticker will begin to seperate from the plastic and it will be easily pulled off.
It too will still be sticky so I put it directly ontop of the magnet on the back of the shadow metal pan.
I press down to make sure the label is properly stuck to the pan and VOILA!

This is the best idea since sliced bread by MAC --
I've been frustrated having a gagillion little pots of the mac eyeshadows rattling around while traveling ( two broken pots later) - I decided to scavenger around ebay and get myself one of these palettes.....

It was well worth the $18 spent -- to have all my shadows, safely in ONE PLACE -- just like an artist palette to play with.
In fact, I'm already shopping for my next palette of colors....

I found a great tutorial site, on how to *de-pot* your shadows...

Awesome tutorials WITH photos and how-to's!!

anyways -- I definetly recommend this palette, it's sleek and ultra thin, very well made, and enhanced the magnetic feature by using the "magnetic business card" stickers and adhered them to the case and the shadow back -- also labeled each individually -- so I'll know which shadow it was, and what to re-stock.

Plus buying refill pans was Waaaaaay cheaper ---- not to mention after depotting all my shadows, I was able to score 3 new lipsticks from MAC with the Back 2 MAC program. (too bad its not for choice of another shadow or lipglass) but shoot -- I aint knockin' a freebie for my throw-aways!!! =)

Get yourself a palette, they're super fun to own!!!

on 12/19/2002 8:46:00 PM

Stila should take a hint and follow MAC's prices! I thought that this palette would be the easiest way to go because my MAC e/s pot collection was taking up way too much room. Now every shadow looks so cute in the palette!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love these and could not live without them. It makes my collection so much more organized. It makes it so much easier to not have to rummage through a bunch of eyeshadows when I am doing my makeup. Also makes my collection more compact and takes up a lot less space. I just wish that the MAC counters would sell them.

on 8/29/2006 11:59:00 AM

There isn't a lot more I can say about this pan other than I would purchase it again. However, the SA at my counter did give me a tip:

If you have more than 15 shadows, you can pop the holder out of the inside of this and store about 30 shadows in this pan using just the magnets to hold it in place. She said it works perfectly (she doesnt' lose anything) and it's twice the storage space.

Anyway, some of you may find that helpful. :)