MAC 15-PAN

15-PAN

4.8

on 5/13/2017 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have really been out of the loop of all things MAC for many years. I have the current palettes as well as the old school solid cases and all sorts of zpalettes, you name it. I like MAC though because they seem the most sturdy and budget friendly. (My goal is to get my go-to makeup condensed into one duo palette. 😭)

Our housekeeper threw out all my inserts so I recently went to the MAC site to purchase more. I was pleasantly surprised to see they have new (to me) inserts, the prices have dropped and now you can squeeze 18 pans into one palette. Its pretty great that you can mix and match between shadows and blushes without having to juggle multiple palettes. I always felt that depotting blushes into a lone palette made them all mlre fragile.

That said, and I have googled this and found nothing, it seems like Urban Decay (and coastal scents) single shadows don't fit anymore! That is a real shame... i loved having everything in one place, secure with inserts. This kind of forces me into having a freestyle palette whether or not I want to. I tried forcing them in with no luck. (Please DM me if you have any insight!)

All and all, good deal, love it. Wish more pans/brands still fit! But I will work with it.

on 3/3/2017 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

And 10 years later, I've returned to update this review (oops). If I may, I'd like to take a moment to roast myself for committing a crime against the reviews that are actually helpful yet end up being buried underneath ridiculous reviews like the I one I originally submitted. Not only was it probably a fake, I didn't even have it in my possession at the time of the review! That's like a cardinal sin on the makeup board and reviews like that irritate me to this day.

So obviously a long time has passed now and much has changed for the better, including this basic yet invaluable tool. The husband is now my ex and finally out of my life (hallelujah), I would NEVER buy makeup or tools like brushes and palettes off eBay and MAC finally swapped out the solid black lid for a clear plastic one. Does anyone else remember the days when you had to label your palettes because you didn't know which was which otherwise?

This is still a fantastic tool many use to organize and protect our eyeshadows, blushes and whatever else you fit in it. It used to be that you only had two options if you wanted an insert for your palette: the 6 pan blush insert or the OG 15 eyeshadow pan insert. Recently, MAC added a handful of new inserts as well as different sizes of palettes for our organizing pleasure. Of course I'm not saying you NEED any insert, many people depot everything they can and forgoing the insert allows them to fit more into a single palette like the oddly sized and/or shaped pans. As for me, the inserts are a necessity and it's what i use in my two palettes. They separate each pan and hold it securely which helps to keep my palettes from looking like a thrown together collection.

Which is good.

Because they were.

Don't judge, I'm sure I wasn't the one who stocked up when MAC dropped the price of the eyeshadow pans :)

If I have to be pressed to find fault with my palettes, it's that the clear cover WILL get scratched and look cloudy with regular use. I don't doubt that there are people that take superb care or their palettes and my props to you. This 'issue' if it even can be considered one would not turn me off from the product. Repurchasing has already been repeated multiple times and should be expected in the future as I am always adding to my collection.

Imagine how happy you'd make a teen daughter if you gave her one of these palettes partially filled or fully stocked as an introduction in makeup. It really is a classic staple for anyone, from the makeup connoisseur to those just being introduced to all things cosmetic.

Original 2007 Post: I have been reading so much about depotting eyeshadows and putting them in a palette so I thought I had to jump on the bandwagon! Believe it or not, my husband actually bought mine for me off of Ebay (so willing to spend a couple of dollars for one since I am no where near a MAC store) and I can't wait to fill it up. I can definitely see how this makes it easier. It is sort of a pain to have to reach and fish for an eyeshadow. Makeup is not a carnival game LOL. I'll come back later when I receive it!

on 9/14/2011 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

OK I admit it - I seem to have a bit of a palette obsession going on! I have 2 Inglot 10s, a Make Up For Ever 12 (I think?), a FACE Atelier 12, 3 MAC 4s, 1 MAC Blush and 3 (soon to be 4, as they're full!) MAC 15s. I know about palettes!

While the MAC were my first, and I do really like them, I'm not sure they're my favourite.

Pro: They are the easiest to move pans around - most other brands press in so are difficult to shuffle round, I find these generally pop out quite easily. They're also very slim and light. Inglot are heavy. Make Up For Ever long. They're easy to open and close and I have travelled well with mine many times.

Con: Smallest eyeshadow pans of all (Face Atelier are the same size to be fair). Can't distinguish between palettes when closed (Inglots lids are opaque and Face Ateliers clear). Can't identify shade name when in (this is a problem with all palettes).

None of my palettes have a mirror in the lid or space to hold brushes etc.

Think my next buy will be a Stila, closely followed by more Inglot...

Conclusion: for MAC eyeshadows these more than do the job. A little pricey at 11.50 here in the UK but will last me years!

on 10/12/2010 7:20:00 AM

The MAC 15 Pan palatte keep my eyeshadows organized and customized for my use. It is also a great way to get rid of clutter which tends to happen if you have lots of eyeshadows in single pots. I also like that I can see all the beautiful colors whenever I open my palatte. With the single pots, I tend to forget that I have this or that color. I keep my palattes clean and tidy at all times to better appreciate the eyeshadows. I just wish that the palatte itself is magnetic since the small round sticker magnets are not available where I live.

on 11/23/2009 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took out the divider not too long after buying my first palette because it just seemed like wasted space to me but I only recently I figured out how to arrange the pans in my palette so that I can fit 26. I have four of these but only one, which holds my most used shadows, is full.
My only complaint is that MAC would design a palette that holds shadows on both sides. Now that would really save me some space.

on 5/25/2009 10:18:00 AM

Sleek, convenient, and handy! I love that it is thin which makes it easy to store and travel with, plus the magnet system is excellent for keeping the pans in place. I really appreciate that the e/s are a little cheaper to purchase this way, compared to the regular single e/s, and that the pans are a part of the Back to MAC recycling program as well.

on 4/23/2009 12:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

You definitely can't beat the quality of MAC palettes for the price and the fact that they're magnetized .. I have 4 pans, and 15 pans, and while I love both .. I prefer the 4 pans if for no other reason than the elimination of "guesswork" on what's inside, since the lids on the 4's are clear. I still love my bigger palettes .. but I'm hoping MAC will eventually re-do the 15's with clear lids so that I can easily and quickly see what's inside without having to label them, or keep opening/closing them to see what's inside. All in all though, for $12.50 .. it doesn't get much better than this! MAC palettes never break on me, and are incredibly convenient since it allows me to depot and consolidate my stash :)

on 3/11/2008 12:25:00 PM

I love this palette so much so that I still keep it in their box!

I love the design and the material of this palette. Holds up 15 e/s and frees up my storage space for more cosmetics! My e/s is so organised now.

I would definitely buy again when I fill up this palette.

This is the best idea since sliced bread by MAC --
I've been frustrated having a gagillion little pots of the mac eyeshadows rattling around while traveling ( two broken pots later) - I decided to scavenger around ebay and get myself one of these palettes.....

It was well worth the $18 spent -- to have all my shadows, safely in ONE PLACE -- just like an artist palette to play with.
In fact, I'm already shopping for my next palette of colors....

I found a great tutorial site, on how to *de-pot* your shadows...

Awesome tutorials WITH photos and how-to's!!

anyways -- I definetly recommend this palette, it's sleek and ultra thin, very well made, and enhanced the magnetic feature by using the "magnetic business card" stickers and adhered them to the case and the shadow back -- also labeled each individually -- so I'll know which shadow it was, and what to re-stock.

Plus buying refill pans was Waaaaaay cheaper ---- not to mention after depotting all my shadows, I was able to score 3 new lipsticks from MAC with the Back 2 MAC program. (too bad its not for choice of another shadow or lipglass) but shoot -- I aint knockin' a freebie for my throw-aways!!! =)

Get yourself a palette, they're super fun to own!!!

on 7/8/2007 10:15:00 PM

I have 4 of these FULL!!! love it. I love that you can have every color under the sun to work with. Being an entertainer I have to have a ton of color because you never know what you are going to need. If you happen to drop this, it will break, but it will still be functional. Have a great time filling up one of these!! I am ready for another!