MAC 15-PAN

15-PAN

4.7

on 3/3/2017 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

And 10 years later, I've returned to update this review (oops). If I may, I'd like to take a moment to roast myself for committing a crime against the reviews that are actually helpful yet end up being buried underneath ridiculous reviews like the I one I originally submitted. Not only was it probably a fake, I didn't even have it in my possession at the time of the review! That's like a cardinal sin on the makeup board and reviews like that irritate me to this day.

So obviously a long time has passed now and much has changed for the better, including this basic yet invaluable tool. The husband is now my ex and finally out of my life (hallelujah), I would NEVER buy makeup or tools like brushes and palettes off eBay and MAC finally swapped out the solid black lid for a clear plastic one. Does anyone else remember the days when you had to label your palettes because you didn't know which was which otherwise?

This is still a fantastic tool many use to organize and protect our eyeshadows, blushes and whatever else you fit in it. It used to be that you only had two options if you wanted an insert for your palette: the 6 pan blush insert or the OG 15 eyeshadow pan insert. Recently, MAC added a handful of new inserts as well as different sizes of palettes for our organizing pleasure. Of course I'm not saying you NEED any insert, many people depot everything they can and forgoing the insert allows them to fit more into a single palette like the oddly sized and/or shaped pans. As for me, the inserts are a necessity and it's what i use in my two palettes. They separate each pan and hold it securely which helps to keep my palettes from looking like a thrown together collection.

Which is good.

Because they were.

Don't judge, I'm sure I wasn't the one who stocked up when MAC dropped the price of the eyeshadow pans :)

If I have to be pressed to find fault with my palettes, it's that the clear cover WILL get scratched and look cloudy with regular use. I don't doubt that there are people that take superb care or their palettes and my props to you. This 'issue' if it even can be considered one would not turn me off from the product. Repurchasing has already been repeated multiple times and should be expected in the future as I am always adding to my collection.

Imagine how happy you'd make a teen daughter if you gave her one of these palettes partially filled or fully stocked as an introduction in makeup. It really is a classic staple for anyone, from the makeup connoisseur to those just being introduced to all things cosmetic.

Original 2007 Post: I have been reading so much about depotting eyeshadows and putting them in a palette so I thought I had to jump on the bandwagon! Believe it or not, my husband actually bought mine for me off of Ebay (so willing to spend a couple of dollars for one since I am no where near a MAC store) and I can't wait to fill it up. I can definitely see how this makes it easier. It is sort of a pain to have to reach and fish for an eyeshadow. Makeup is not a carnival game LOL. I'll come back later when I receive it!

on 4/6/2015 6:36:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I adore this palette. I have the 4 pan one too, but I wanted something bigger for my mac shadows and to depot palettes into. I was torn between this, the z palette or the mufe empty palette. The magnet on this is weak, without the 15 shadow insert it's not strong enough to hold eyeshadows in place. But I love how this palette looks, it's sleek and easy to store. So I bought a magnet sheet on ebay (you can find them in craft stores too) for under £2 and stuck it in the bottom. Now I have my UD Naked 1 and Naked 3 palettes in it and some MAC shadows. They stay in place, feel secure and I'm definitely planning on buying more of these.

on 8/28/2012 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

One of the most useful beauty items I've ever purchased, I don't know what I would do without it... It would be nearly impossible to organize my MAC eyeshadows. It's sleek, practical and reasonably priced. Love!

on 3/15/2012 10:26:00 PM

expensive for a basic palette, but excellent quality, you get what you pay for... once you depot your MAC shadows this baby will pay for itself in sleek storage. easy to pop into your bag and/or great for travel. also can put other shadows in here (pan has to be same size). Also can pop off the divider and make even more room for pans

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Love love love. I pop out the top so I can fit more shadows. I have Mac refills/singles, nyx singles and urban decay eyeshadows in my current palette. Def would repurchase more.

on 1/6/2012 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought one a while ago when on a trip to London, each palette refill is about 11.50 which compared to 14 for a regular eyeshadow, you're saving so much more by buying the palette and the refills. The palettes are about 15, which is steep, but by buying the refills, you'll have got your moneys worth back from not buying the regulare eyeshadows, so it is worth it! I've already completed my first Mac palette, and already thinking of buying another 2, and possibly de-potting my eyeshadows into a palette and using the old packaging for Back 2 Mac :)

on 9/14/2011 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

OK I admit it - I seem to have a bit of a palette obsession going on! I have 2 Inglot 10s, a Make Up For Ever 12 (I think?), a FACE Atelier 12, 3 MAC 4s, 1 MAC Blush and 3 (soon to be 4, as they're full!) MAC 15s. I know about palettes!

While the MAC were my first, and I do really like them, I'm not sure they're my favourite.

Pro: They are the easiest to move pans around - most other brands press in so are difficult to shuffle round, I find these generally pop out quite easily. They're also very slim and light. Inglot are heavy. Make Up For Ever long. They're easy to open and close and I have travelled well with mine many times.

Con: Smallest eyeshadow pans of all (Face Atelier are the same size to be fair). Can't distinguish between palettes when closed (Inglots lids are opaque and Face Ateliers clear). Can't identify shade name when in (this is a problem with all palettes).

None of my palettes have a mirror in the lid or space to hold brushes etc.

Think my next buy will be a Stila, closely followed by more Inglot...

Conclusion: for MAC eyeshadows these more than do the job. A little pricey at 11.50 here in the UK but will last me years!

First off - they need to reduce the price. 15 for an empty palette is a bit steep. I just filled my first palette but i'm a bit OCD of having loads of empty spots in my new one.

I use a tweezer when I have to remove a shadow, the cutouts aren't really handy for that. The shadows aren't really tight either, they have some space to wiggle around. So don't drop it!

It's a sleek palette, it looks nice & luxe.

on 8/25/2011 11:46:00 PM

I have nothing but AMAZING things to say about this palette. De-potting my eye shadows was a great decision. This makes me feel confident that they wont be damaged when traveling and it looks very sleek. There is nothing like looking at all your beautiful MAC shadows arranged in a palette :]

on 6/26/2011 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I finally finished filling my 15 pan palette (with Paradisco - a new favorite) and I must say I love to just sit back and look at all the gorgeous colours! I'm glad I bought this palette and would recommend it to anyone. Only one colour mistake (Cranberry looks hideous on me), which I think are pretty good odds considering the shades were all purchased online. My only con is that it gets so dirty. A makeup wipe does a great job of cleaning and it's back to being as good as new! I would definitely repurchase...but I'm hoping that this will be enough eye shadows to last me for awhile. ;-)