Abdul Kareem - Egyptian Musk

4.2

on 12/4/2015 1:13:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I purchased this Egyptian musk after reading the reviews here, from Amazon. This musk oil is a thinner consitency than many, which is a bit of a plus: it comes out of the bottle for quicker application and absorption. I also like that there's no roller ball, as those tend to be scratchy and irritating to my sensitive (redhead!) skin.

Overall, this is a very nice "my skin but better" scent, with a subtle clean powdery fragrance. By itself, I can barely detect it unless I'm feeling particularly warm. My body temperature tends to be cooler than the average human, usually around 97.6 or so, and I truly believe it affects how a lot of fragrances develop (or not!) on me.
In the past, I would've told people that I didn't like musk, but I guess I've come to really love it as I've matured toward middle-age. I especially hate the frou-frou bubblegum and cotton-candy scents that seem so popular anymore, so anything that is elegant and refined is a good alternative for me.

When I wear this EM, it's usually at work in the medical field, where in-your-face fragrances are undesirable. This works perfectly, and many people don't even realize that I'm wearing a scent. When I come close to a patient's face for instillation of ophthalmic medications, they will often remark about how nice I smell. They never ask what I'm wearing, though, because I think they don't realize it's a fragrance! I certainly don't volunteer the info either ;-)

Although I usually carry this EM in my tiny handbag, I'm still using more of the Auric Blends Egyptian Goddess. This subtle version is nice to touch-up with over the course of the day. I think I would repurchase this in the future, because it is different enough from my other scents that it has a special niche.

Bought into it because I like Carolyn Bessette Kennedy, but I actually enjoy it on its own-it doesn't scream "musk", but it whispers it and is nice and soapy. It is beachy perfection. Really sexy but simple.

To Read all 19 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've heard about this being CBK's signature musk oil for years, but it was the 90's and I think there are better options now. I don't like subtle skin musks and prefer those that compliment my perfumes (not too masculine or sweet).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I love this scent! I mostly use to layer with other fragrances or sometimes wear to work as it is very subtle. This brand is maybe a little 'soapy' smelling but in a nice way!

Whenever I wear it this musk always reminds me of summer for some reason and I would definitely recommend buying it if you like Egyptian Musks!

on 12/29/2012 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

EDIT 2/22/13: This is a little TOO faint to wear on its own for me. Nice layered with my HG Child. Probably won't repurchase though.

I just received this musk today (Dec. 28th - after ordering it on Christmas!) and already it's my favorite EM! I agree completely with the last couple of reviews. It IS lighter than other EMs but with a sophisticated twist. There's a hint of white floral in there that's fresh and not at all cloying. And I would not compare it to a white musk. It's much more sophisticated than that. And yes, it does smell better than cheap "head shop" EM. Don't go by how it smells in the bottle or when you first apply it. This is an oil that sits close to your skin and "blooms" over time. You might be surprised to discover it actually smells stronger an hour or two (or more) after you apply it. The consistency is more oily or watery than other EMs. I also prefer not having a rollerball applicator so that's not an issue for me. Charlotte Vale-Allen's (writerinresidence) customer service is excellent. If you're a fan of EMs, this is a must try!

on 10/22/2012 9:52:00 PM

Yes, I admit that I got suckered into purchasing this fragrance after reading about how Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy "allegedly" wore this oil. But! I loooove this fragrance. I always come back to it, especially before bed and just swoon more and more each time. I imagine this is great for layering. It is certainly not a "pure" smelling musk (no barnyard fecalness) but more of a powdery musk with a very slight hint of white floral. It's a friendly, skin-loving scent. Something I highly recommend anyone with a penchant for perfume oils to have within their wardrobe.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been wearing Egyptian Musk for over 20 years. I used to buy mine from the Lebanese supermarket in my old neighborhood. Since I moved to the other side of the continent, I've had to try others and none of them measured up. Until... Abdul Kareem. This is the real thing. It's a beautiful Egyptian Musk minus the stale note and the thick, waxy consistency common in cheap, head shop Egyptian Musk. HG and I will definitely repurchase when I run out.

on 4/28/2012 10:13:00 PM

It finally arrived today! After carefully reading reviews and comparing this musk to 2 others, I decided I indeed needed it for my (small) collection. This one is fresh without being "white", clean without fading away, yet it's lighter than AB's Egyptian Musk. (rich and sometimes overwhelming for at least the first hour) I also think it's a touch lighter than Egyptian Goddess, which I find very heavy and viscous. I think this hits right in the middle. I'm not yet sure of the staying power, but I'm into the second hour tonight and it's still very nice and holding its' own.

Note: I purchased my bottle through Amazon and then read a review that said Charlotte Vail was the only reputable distributor of AK so I was a bit nervous, but the package from the distributor "Writer In Residence" IS Charlotte Vail, so I am assured of a fresh, high quality product. The bottle is simply packaged, does not contain a roller-ball, which is fine with me and has a simple, sturdy black top. Several hours later I can tell for sure...this indeed "the one". I'm thrilled.

For me, other EM oils are better. If you look up "Egyptian Musk" on this site - not the Abdul Kareem brand, but just plain ole EM, you will find lots of good recommendations. It seems like the people who love this product do so because it is so soft, but for me, that is the problem. I can BARELY smell it at all, and have to literally douse myself in it just to get any scent. Good thing that it is not in a roller ball bottle because I would be rolling for days! I DO like the scent, but it is weak weak weak! And not very long-lasting either. I had to try it though since I am a huge EM fan, and people do seem to love it, but it's just not for me. I will stick to other EM brands in the future.

on 3/2/2012 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I read about this musk being the favorite of the late Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's and decided to try it. Admittedly, I didn't like it at first but it eventually grew on me and has become one of my favorite perfume oils (Auric Blends Egyptian Goddess running closely behind). I found other Egyptian musks to be too cheap smelling, but I find Abdul Kareem's clean and fresh.

Like Egyptian Goddess, this oil lasts forever and a day when applied and almost always wins me a compliment or two when worn. It's a little expensive considering the amount, but is well worth the price. Since I don't use this daily, a bottle usually last me more than a year or so. Even when used daily, a little dab will do ya so a bottle should last at least six to eight months.

I wouldn't call this an HG product by any means, but it's a lovely scent to have on hand when you're looking for something a bit lighter to wear or even if you want a break from your usual perfume.

Popular Fragrances