Comptoir Sud Pacifique Amour de Cacao

Comptoir Sud Pacifique Amour de Cacao

3.8

on 12/20/2008 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm soo disappointed on this fragrance!!=( I was expecting it to be something absolutely yummy and to die for since other CSP scents are just like that, divine and heavenly and out of this world. I absolutely love sweet, yummy foody-candy like fragrances and other CSP ones are, but this one isn't at all. It's the worst chocolate fragrance I've ever smelled. It doesn't smell sweet or yummy, it smells bitter, like dark bitter chocolate with a weird sour annoying note or like stale burnt brownies with a sour note. Not sweet or yummy or sexy, not good. No hints of vanilla at all unlike in many other chocolate fragrances. Maybe it smells way too much like the real deal, I love yummy foody fragrances and yes, chocolate fragrances, if done well, are yummy and nice, but they just can't smell completely like food does (like burnt stale brownies in this case, or like chocolate bread)... they have to be a little "manipulated" to be wearable and smell good and sexy, with touches of vanilla and other lovely things, otherwise you can just rub stale brownies all over yourself and you'll smell the same, and honestly, smelling exactly like stale brownies or chocolate bread, and I mean exactly like it, is not a good thing!! There's something off smelling about this scent too with the sour note...

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Quite a letdown. I was expecting a richer, fuller-bodied cocoa, replete with the tinge of inherent bitterness. Is it just my neophyte of a nose or does Amour de Cacao smell no different from Serendipitous? I'm better off sticking to my Origins Cocoa Therapy Instant Chocolate Fix. It's a fraction the price of the CSP and smells truer and far yummier. I was looking forward to Godiva and got Hershey's instead. No love lost between me and this Amour.

The packaging is average at best - for the price, you'd expect more than an aluminium-y bottle that looks like it might contain a deodorant. But the scent works so well with my body chemsity that I completely forgive the company for their neglctful branding. I know previous reviewers have mentioned thatit doesn't have much lasting power, but on me, a few spritzes of the scent in the morning last me throughout the day, to the extent that when I shower at the end of the day, the water htting my skin raises a cloud of ravishing scent. It's a gorgeous rich gourmand chocolate smell that doen't smell synthetic at all - a difficult feat. I've had actualy chocolate that didn't smell as good as this! It's definitely a foody smell, sweet and uncomplicated. It can be too sweet for some but it works on my skin and I've gotten regular compliments since I've started wearing it. It's a fairly linear scent though, so if you're looking for something more complicated or sophisticated, this probably isn't for you.It's also a tad on the expensive side given how simple the scent is, but it's my default comfort scent, epsecially in winter, and it just makes me smell so delicious that I need to have a bottle on hand all the time.

on 3/8/2006 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I love cereal of any kind -- the kind of love where I could eat nothing but cereal for days on end without ever craving anything else. So naturally, I love Amour de Cacao. Yes, it does smell like cocoa puffs or any other cocoa filled confectionery --- sugar wafers come to mind. The orange note is very faint, but is present enough to keep the fragrance from being too sweet or syrupy. I'd like to spray this on liberally, but have a fear of mosquitos & bees swarming to me in droves. One spray or dab on pulse points is enough -- getting a small whiff of the scent throughout the day makes me feel happy.

This is THE chocolate fragrance I have been looking for. Lovely blend of vanilla and cacao beans... the sweetness of vanilla tones down the slight bitterness of cacao. I smell so Yummy! This is so unique! I like this better than CSP Vanille Cafe which is milkier.

I have tried most of chocolate fragrances... Serenditious3 is not bad too (a bit too sweet and not much chocolate detected). Star Boutique's Chocolate Martini did not agree with my skin and turn resin in the drydown just as Dragonfly Blue's Mocha Perfume oil did on me. continued >>