Comptoir Sud Pacifique Amour de Cacao

Comptoir Sud Pacifique Amour de Cacao

3.6

on 11/13/2012 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This should probably be named Vanille Cacao instead of Amour de Cacao. Definitely one I recommend for the hardcore vanilla-fragrance fan more than the hardcore chocolate fan. Many reviewers describe it as "cocoa puffs" and "hot chocolate", because the vanilla is too dominant for this scent to smell like the chocolate truffle scent I wanted. That said, it's a very good, buttery-rich, natural vanilla, with acceptable longevity. (Hence the 4-rating.) Most other vanilla scents smell like cheap synthetics beside CSP's.

Amour de Cacao opens in an explosive, warm cloud of hot-chocolate laced with a little orange zest, but this glorious start disappears quickly. I personally feel it could be better balanced, with the orange and cocoa amped up slightly so they're not drowned out by the vanilla, but I can get around that by adding just a touch of bitter cocoa absolute to it. Definitely a simple, sweet, comfort scent but not something I wear often.

on 6/13/2012 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm a huge sucker for gourmand fragrances, and this one is great!

This to me, is a beautiful creamy, custardy type chocolate scent. I don't get coco puffs, or any fake kind of chocolate, but more so a chocolatey vanilla.

I wouldn't wear this on its own, I feel like it needs to be combined/layered with something else. Something floral or citrusy... call me crazy but for a while, my signature scent was Victorias Secret Beauty Rush Appletini, layered with Beauty Rush Vanilla, layered with Victoria Secret So in Love Body Spray. It was a crazy combination but it worked so well for me. I feel like I will be keeping Amour de Cacao around just for that added sweetness.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Cuckoo for Coco Puffs! LOL for once I completely concur with the other reviewers.

Pros: ..
- A foody gourmand heavier on the chocolate than some fragrances. Very comforting also because it does smell liek cocoa puffs and chocolately breakfast pastries.
- Pretty long lasting on my skin though not as wella s some of the other CSP's. Much better lasting than my true chocolate favorite, Serendiptious.
- Stays true to its own scent.

Cons:
- PRICE! like all the CSP's VERY expensive unless you buy it online. Iwas fortunate enough to trade for it.
- Very linear. Most of the CSP's are pretty basic and true to the scent they are emulating, but this one more than most. Never changes and though I like it, kinda boring to smell like milk soaked chocolate puffs all day. I'd prefer more depth to it.
-Packaging annoys me as usual-impossible to tell how much is left in the can. But its sturdy.

Overall I like it but dont LOVE it.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I LOVE THIS PERFUME!.. I was looking for a chocolate-vanilla scent and i found it. This is a very sweet chocolate scent and it does smell like coco puffs but I LOVE IT! I'm also waiting on Serendipitous to see how that compares.. I will update if anything changes. The lasting power is okay, i can still smell it lingering on me but i doubt someone can smell it unless they are ALL UP IN my personal space. I will be repurchasing.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This is such a different fragrance, smells exactly like Cocoa Puffs doused in milk. I wouldn't say it's a true chocolate smell, I can pick up a little vanilla which gives the scent an airiness. Luckily this is not a "strong" or cloying scent, very light. Not sure I'd buy again, because the foodiness is a little overboard, but I will keep in my fragrance collection. Update: Today at my job, this male co-worker sort of blurted out "Holy Crap you smell so good" and he even apologized later for the comment. This scent is something you can barely detect after a few hours, but trust me others will!

From CSP website: "The intense note of cocoa bean mellowed by star fruit and vanilla pod, enlivened on top by a cheerful orange zest."

Amour de Cacao smells like dark chocolate and orange zest. It's rich and goes a bit too sweet on my skin, but a lovely fragrance nonetheless. Good lasting power!

on 12/20/2008 12:10:00 AM

This fragrance kind of reminds me of those low-fat chocolate wafer cookies. It's nice but I prefer more complex chocolate scents like Aquolina Chocolovers. I bought Amour de Cacao on clearance at my local drugstore and don't feel it is worth its full retail price.

on 12/19/2008 3:33:00 PM

To me it smells like recently baked chocolate cookies + a strong (and delicious) vanilla base. It is not a sophisticated fragrance, with expensive dark chocolate notes, but it is very pleasant.
It fades after about 3 hours.
I┤ve recently bought it, it┤s summer now - gourmands are not my faves for this season, but I┤m sure I┤ll like it even more when autumn arrives.

on 11/28/2008 8:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love sweet scents, anything gourmand but not overbearingly strong. This is one of my favorites. Its chocolatey, kind of like the cereal coco puffs but a tad deeper and darker. The scent dries down uniformally, no notes have changed to smell stronger that when you first spray it on. It does fade somewhat but never disappears. Its also not overwhelming after 2 spritzs so you dont have to worry about offending anyone. Most people will ask if they smell cookies, brownies or something yummy; I see that as a compliment because I do love comforting sweet scents without musk. This scent is not all musky which I love; I hate my vanillas or sweet scents coming off as musky. I also dont consider this scent as coming off as artificial, though it is very foody like but not too sweet or sugary. What makes it less artificial or too sweet is that there are deep dark coco notes that bring it down. If you are a fan of sweet scents this is definitely one to try.

I am a huge CSP lover. I use this in the winter--it seems to me to be a little too heavy in the summer (but maybe that's just me). Like the previous reviewer, although I detect more chocolate in this (hence the "Cacao" in the name), many people think I'm wearing some type of vanilla fragrance. It is a very rich fragrance; as is the case with any of the CSP fragrances that I use, if I am standing in line in a store or on an elevator, I almost always hear people saying, "Do you smell that? It smells like cookies/waffle cones/ice cream/snickerdoodles...." When I admit that it's me, I am always asked what the name of the fragrance is--and then I proceed to butcher the name (my franšais leaves something to be desired....) Anyway, I do enjoy this fragrance very much. Highly recommended.